I'm going on the phones tomorrow

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if this is good or bad for the company, but our receptionist took 3 days off this week. Normally we have one of our retired employees come back for a little extra cash, but neither of them were available.

So tomorrow between 3:30 and 5:00 I'll be answering all the incoming calls.

The thing that made me more excited is that A MALE is sitting on the phones tomorrow too. So they met my requirements for me to take calls.
I refused to do it because of their attitude about it (too put in general the men here feel their too above themselves to answer phones). Luckily we have a young male intern who hasn't been trained about that yet.

Plus I found out last night that one of the sons had to answer calls last summer for an afternoon in an attempt to teach him social skills.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
That's great that a guy is doing that sort of job. I don't know why they can get this attitude that some task is beneath them. I have a co-worker who will not send out a meeting notice if he can get someone else do it. Outlook is not that difficult.

Good luck on your 2 hours and may everyone be friendly and cordial.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would happily answer phones at a job if that's what was required of me. I don't think it's beneath me at all. My job now as a 411 Operator, I'm one of the few males in the office. It usually winds up with me being called Ma'am by mistake all too often

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, I kind of have to be. The company is only 42 employees and 10 of us are girls. It'll be my first time since I started 2 years ago. I refused to do it back then because I just came from a job that turned me from IT into an Admin Assistant.

If I get bored I figure I'll do the valley talk "Like, totally thank you for calling our companeeeee. Can you like hold?" *chomp on gum*

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Yea, I kind of have to be. The company is only 42 employees and 10 of us are girls. It'll be my first time since I started 2 years ago. I refused to do it back then because I just came from a job that turned me from IT into an Admin Assistant.

If I get bored I figure I'll do the valley talk "Like, totally thank you for calling our companeeeee. Can you like hold?" *chomp on gum*
Oh god please don't do that *lol*

Like, okay?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Oh god please don't do that *lol*

Like, okay?
Maybe...

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

it will get you off the phones pretty quickly though!

The thing that stinks though is the receptionist doesn't have internet access.
She overused it doing the online dating thing

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, at one time answering phones and secretarial jobs were strictly a male dominated job/career and it was extremely rare to see a woman doing such a job.

Originally Posted by lunasmom

Don't know if this is good or bad for the company, but our receptionist took 3 days off this week. Normally we have one of our retired employees come back for a little extra cash, but neither of them were available.

So tomorrow between 3:30 and 5:00 I'll be answering all the incoming calls.

The thing that made me more excited is that A MALE is sitting on the phones tomorrow too. So they met my requirements for me to take calls.
I refused to do it because of their attitude about it (too put in general the men here feel their too above themselves to answer phones). Luckily we have a young male intern who hasn't been trained about that yet.

Plus I found out last night that one of the sons had to answer calls last summer for an afternoon in an attempt to teach him social skills.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was not , saying cuase your women,
just seems a waste to take IT person make them answer a phone.
lol guess i just seem me, trying to do that, i would be fired from a company so fast!!!! i am not made to deal with tthe public at all