New food.Making him act strange?

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I convinced the boyfriend finally and we switched over to Innova Evo dry a week ago.We did wean him off his old food and he loves the taste of evo and does not cry for food anymore he easily gets full.We bought the fresh flow water bowl and he drinks alot now!But he seems to have suddenly lost all interest in playing!He just turned 4 years old and we almost always play together for 15 to 20 mins a day with a mouse or a ball.Now though he just looks at me funny if I even attempt!He doesnt seem to be showing any sighns the foods hurting him but he has always been playfull and besides missing it he is an indooor cat so its the only activity he has and I think its good for him.Any ideas as to whats going on?Is it possible its just summer because its very hot and we dont turn on the air conditioning.Or is something really wrong here?

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there...

I think you've already solved the problem. Could be something in the food that doesn't sit well with him. Keep trying until you find something that is healthy and that he likes. You could wait a little longer to see if it's an 'adjustment period', but I think he should still play. I know Iams makes Ocean fish with corn glueten instead of wheat. (I hope they don't mess with the corn, probably GMO, but we're running out of choices here!)

I'll be interested to see what others contribute. This doesn't sound difficult to solve.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any problems in the litterbox? Diarrhea? Vomiting?

If not, I would give the EVO a chance.

It could be a couple of things. Could be the heat, like you said. Or it could be that he's getting a little too much of the EVO. How much is he eating per day? How much does he weigh?

I wouldn't go to IAMS....sorry.

norman's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the regular Innova? I give mine Innova Lite canned in the morning & Innova Reduced Fat dry in the evening. They are doing quite well on it. We did the EVO for a little while. Our male was marking outside of the box, and when I went back to the regular Innova, he quit marking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Any problems in the litterbox? Diarrhea? Vomiting?

If not, I would give the EVO a chance.

It could be a couple of things. Could be the heat, like you said. Or it could be that he's getting a little too much of the EVO. How much is he eating per day? How much does he weigh?

I wouldn't go to IAMS....sorry.
He was on a diet of 1/2 cup a day (vet reccommended) with his old food(purina indoor forumla) he weighed 14pounds last year and I belive hes lost 2 pounds so we are still giving him 1/2 cup untill monday when he goes to the vet.I am going to ask the vet about this but everyone has so much experience here I wanted everyones opion.

I'm afraid I would not go with Iams even if it there werent any recalls because they have an extensive animal cruelty testing program that is worse than others and I cannot help support that

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Norman's Mom

Have you tried the regular Innova? I give mine Innova Lite canned in the morning & Innova Reduced Fat dry in the evening. They are doing quite well on it. We did the EVO for a little while. Our male was marking outside of the box, and when I went back to the regular Innova, he quit marking.
Thank you I may just try that

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What does Iams do for testing? I did not know that. Can you send me links on it, please?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bleedforlove

He was on a diet of 1/2 cup a day (vet reccommended) with his old food(purina indoor forumla) he weighed 14pounds last year and I belive hes lost 2 pounds so we are still giving him 1/2 cup untill monday when he goes to the vet.I am going to ask the vet about this but everyone has so much experience here I wanted everyones opion.

I'm afraid I would not go with Iams even if it there werent any recalls because they have an extensive animal cruelty testing program that is worse than others and I cannot help support that
Well, I can't find the specific info (calories per cup, etc) that I wanted to find for the 2 foods (Purina Indoor and EVO)...but I suspect that you could probably cut that portion back just a touch since the EVO is higher quality and higher calorie. See what the vet says.

Maybe someone else can find that calorie info.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by felyne

Hey there...

I think you've already solved the problem. Could be something in the food that doesn't sit well with him. Keep trying until you find something that is healthy and that he likes. You could wait a little longer to see if it's an 'adjustment period', but I think he should still play. I know Iams makes Ocean fish with corn glueten instead of wheat. (I hope they don't mess with the corn, probably GMO, but we're running out of choices here!)

I'll be interested to see what others contribute. This doesn't sound difficult to solve.
FYI Iams is LOW end food .... it has chicken by products ( head ft intestines ) corn( not digestable )

Google it ... we dont like that info on site as it is not always accurate( animal cruelty)

If memory serves EVO is likely 30% more caloric... Innova as well as many other grain containing foods may be an option... How are the stools>>> ??? how hot is it??

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've only found old information on Iams. I do not know if they are still doing that practice, and would not bad mouth someone unless I knew it to be fact at this time.

I haven't been able to find dry without (meat) 'meal' in it. Which ones do not carry meat meal?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by felyne

I've only found old information on Iams. I do not know if they are still doing that practice, and would not bad mouth someone unless I knew it to be fact at this time.

I haven't been able to find dry without (meat) 'meal' in it. Which ones do not carry meat meal?
chicken meal is EXCELLENT ( this is chn meat mius fat(some) and water)

chicken by product meal is what you DONT want ( head s ft and intestines minus fat(some) and water )

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing the lack of playing is probably related to the heat. Mine don't want to do anything when it's warm in the apartment.

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

FYI Iams is LOW end food .... it has chicken by products ( head ft intestines ) corn( not digestable )

Google it ... we dont like that info on site as it is not always accurate( animal cruelty)

If memory serves EVO is likely 30% more caloric... Innova as well as many other grain containing foods may be an option... How are the stools>>> ??? how hot is it??
sorry should i delete the link I posted for someone about animal cruelty?

His stools seem ok they are very dark colored though but im not sure what that means.
Its been around 75-80 degrees with high humidity.We have fans on so hopefully its not to hot

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I'm guessing the lack of playing is probably related to the heat. Mine don't want to do anything when it's warm in the apartment.
Thats helpfully
.Does your apartment almost tent to "Store" heat like its hotter inside than out....ours does that

empire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe try turning air conditioning on for 24 hours. See if that cooler air makes him wanna play. At least you'll have your answer on if its the heat.

California Naturals also a great food & Evo & california naturals made in their own plant.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bleedforlove

Thats helpfully
.Does your apartment almost tent to "Store" heat like its hotter inside than out....ours does that
ours does. i have the AC on already this year. otherwise it gets pretty miserable. we are also on the third floor, which doesn't help the heat situation.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About a month ago i put my 9 month old female kitten and 5 year old male cat on Innova EVO! I have had some problems... mainly with the older cat! he loves his evo but on occassion it gives him diarrhea and or vomitting spells! I had him checked by a vet (he was on felidae wet and EVo dry) she told me to take them off the wet to see how they react just to EVO! My older cat is a little lazy at times but his activity levels (playing with the kitten) are the same (very active)! EVO is rich and doesn't sit well in the tummies of all cats! Definitley keep on eye on his litterbox for any loose or runny bm's! I would stick with it for awhile before making another switch! Give him time to adjust... it may take awhile and he may never adjust! I only give my cats between 1/2 and 3/4 a cup of EVO per day! Of course this isn't the standard serving size but if I don't monitor the older cat he would eat the whole bag (he is overweight as is)! Definitley do not go with IAMS... Sorry that is not a premium quaity choice!

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try turning the air on and I will keep him on the evo a little longer to see if he gets use to it.My cat is kinda paranoid he scares himself by brushing up against things even but his paranoia seems to have increased since feeding evo he walks around looking at things like he has never seen them before does anyone have any experiences with something like that?