Should I donate it? The flavors aren't on the "list" but...

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the brand is. The cans I have are part of a two brand assortment that I got from a friend of my mom's (apparently their cats won't eat it). I had originally set some aside for donation as a couple were seafood (Luna doesn't like seafood) and the others were a Fancy Feast "heart and liver" mix that I felt uncomfortable feeding Luna (it's the "heart and liver" part that made me nervous - are these good for cats?)

Fancy Feast isn't on the list, but NutriPlan's "flaked tuna dinner" is. The flavors I have are "Cod, Sole & Shrimp Dinner" and "Whitefish & Tuna Dinner". Should I donate the cans because the specific flavors are on the list or should I just keep them and probably dump them instead? I hate to waste food that could feed hungry animals, but I don't want them to get sick either.

Edited to add: The SophistaCat list is shocking! I guess that rules out that brand of cat food for future purchases...
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/menu05_07.html

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take back to where ya bought it would be me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the problem is I didn't buy them.... my mom's friend - who lives far away from here, so bringing back may be difficult. So I don't know where they came from, much less have a receipt.

I also plan to get some cans of wet food for Luna... I need to find some good ones available in 3 oz. tubs.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Starfish

I also plan to get some cans of wet food for Luna... I need to find some good ones available in 3 oz. tubs.
That's my problem. Marishka doesn't want to eat food after it is refrigerated, but only eats a little more than 2 oz at a time (which fancy feast does have
that was fun getting her 'off' that ) I do think I remember seeing Solid Gold being in 3 oz cans, and Merrick's smallish cans are 3 oz, I beieve. I can't think of any more off the top of my head though....sorry : ) I'll add more if I can think of it...

ETA- if it is not recalled, it can't hurt to try calling the shelter or wherever you want to donate and ask. I threw away all my fancy feast when I heard about the wheat gluten being contaminated, and in hindsight I should have saved it incase the local humane society could use it, even if I didn't want to...

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the biggest no-kill shelter in the area (actually the state) comes by Petsmart every weekend, so maybe I will stop by then and see if they want to take it, since I'll be buying wet food anyway.

If it wasn't for the fact that blue buffalo was recalled, I'd buy their brand. Don't they make Spa Select? I actually checked the ingredient lists of several foods a few months back at Petsmart and that was the only dry food that seemed ideal. The other had too much gluten crap in it.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellness comes in 3oz cans. Thats about all I can think of. All the ones I buy now come in 5.5oz cans.

I have tried the Merricks here (all flavors) and it was a bust here.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Wellness is a favorite here and it comes in 3oz cans.

On the heart/liver question - yes, it's very good for cats - but Fancy Feast...eh, there are better options.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Knock on wood I just got Wellness 13 oz cans for about1.60 a piece.. very popular with Kandie

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Yes, Wellness is a favorite here and it comes in 3oz cans.

On the heart/liver question - yes, it's very good for cats - but Fancy Feast...eh, there are better options.
I'll look for the wellness... is it available at Petsmart? (I'm willing to go to other places, but I'd rather not go to too many places).

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'll look for the wellness... is it available at Petsmart? (I'm willing to go to other places, but I'd rather not go to too many places).
No, unfortunately not at Petsmart. There's a store locator here

http://www.geoserve.com/forms/omhwell.htm

Your cats' tastes may vary from mine...but mine LOVE all 6 of the grain free varieties of Wellness (they have the little yellow "grain free" sign on the cans). I recently tried out some of the other flavors that have some rice in them, and they're looking at me like "where's the other stuff". I don't know, I guess they know what's good for them.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

the problem is I didn't buy them.... my mom's friend - who lives far away from here, so bringing back may be difficult. So I don't know where they came from, much less have a receipt
Take them back to PetSmart if they sell them there - you don;t need a receipt for store credit.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Solid Gold switched to pouches for their smaller portions. California Natural comes in 3 ounce cans. I think Innova does too.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Check your vet's--my current vet carries Wellness and it's a huge hit here wit all 5 cats. I get both the 3oz and the larger depending on the feeding schedule.

Purina Pro Plan has 3oz ( I don't believe they are involved in any recall at this point???) and I know some of the varieties (turkey & brown rice) has the Fancy Feast Elegant Medley's consistancy (something my cats liked).

Natural Balance and Innova also have 3 oz.

Oh --about donating. I would call the shelter and ask; I think it's a great idea. Shelters must have been scrambling post recalls and I am sure are up on what is acceptable or not. I actually have some food I am going to bring to the local shelter....thanks for the reminder!

norman's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they have wheat flour (maybe just labeled wheat?), wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate, or rice gluten listed on the label, I'd just toss them to err on the side of caution.
Natura (makers of Innova & California Natural) say that all of their ingredients are domestically sourced.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

No, unfortunately not at Petsmart. There's a store locator here

http://www.geoserve.com/forms/omhwell.htm

Your cats' tastes may vary from mine...but mine LOVE all 6 of the grain free varieties of Wellness (they have the little yellow "grain free" sign on the cans). I recently tried out some of the other flavors that have some rice in them, and they're looking at me like "where's the other stuff". I don't know, I guess they know what's good for them.
thanks. There's a Pet Supermarket that's slightly out of the way home, so I went there today and got one can of Merrick's and two cans of Wellness. She's taste testing the Merrick's right now....

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

thanks. There's a Pet Supermarket that's slightly out of the way home, so I went there today and got one can of Merrick's and two cans of Wellness. She's taste testing the Merrick's right now....
Cool - I hope those pass the taste test.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Cool - I hope those pass the taste test.
She only touched half the Merrick's, but I put a chunk of Wellness down to make up for her lack of dinner and she finished that rather quickly. I even caught her "licking her lips" afterwards. I think she's trying to tell me she prefers Wellness. I think I'll stick with that.