Can anyone help?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Daughter got a used computer and when we went to delete some JUNK, it crashed.If I buy another hard drive, will that fix the computer?Also, are there different kind of hard drives? If I get an external one, will it work in place of the internal one?
Sorry guys, but I am a computer illeterate person

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you find out the brand and model of the computer? How old is it? What did you try to delete? What happened after you deleted? Where did you delete it from?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 of them
a IBM and a Compaq
the IBM, was a hand me down.There was some JUNK on the hard drive and when we went to delete it, it crashed the puter.
The Compaq was also a hand me down.When my Dad died my Mom gave it to me.It was already crashed then.
Both had Windows 98 on them.Now it says "windows will now run MS-DOS" and that the Windows 98 Setup files are not found.I don't have the Windows 98 CD though.
Are they trashed?Or do you think they can be saved?Sorry if I am not answering your questions good.I told you, I am computer illeterate.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is not a problem at all.

IBM:

What was the junk you deleted? Where did you deleted? So after you deleted it, did it start or did it not start? If it started, where did it stop? If it did not start, what happens after you power it on?

Compaq:

If it is saying the files are not found, you will need to reinstall windows. Perhaps borrow one from a friend. Also, I would recommend upgrading it to XP. However, if it is still running 98, it might be too old to run XP or it will just run really sloooooooooooooow.

Actually, from what I can tell, the computers are still good, physically. All you need to do is to reinstall Windows and the correct drivers. It should work just like before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The IBM, I deleted some games and stupid stuff from the desk top.There was one that was for AOL screen names---when I deleted it,that's when the thing messed up.It keeps saying when you turn it off and then back on "windows is running in MS-DOS". what is that?
(Oh, I sent them to the recycle bin and tried to clear it out)
I have a Windows XP CD. I tried installing it on both of them.The IBM, told me there wasn't enough memory and the Compaq said something like "the files were not found".
I am at a loss here.With my Dell, all I do is call them and they either come out and fix it, or walk me through it if it's simple.I have no idea about these computers though.
I think I will ask my BIL to take a look at them when he comes in next week, if I can't get the darn things fixed.
Thank you for all your help by the way.If you can think of anything I can do to save them, PLEASE let me know!!!!

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

The IBM, I deleted some games and stupid stuff from the desk top.There was one that was for AOL screen names---when I deleted it,that's when the thing messed up.It keeps saying when you turn it off and then back on "windows is running in MS-DOS". what is that?
(Oh, I sent them to the recycle bin and tried to clear it out)
I have a Windows XP CD. I tried installing it on both of them.The IBM, told me there wasn't enough memory and the Compaq said something like "the files were not found".
I am at a loss here.With my Dell, all I do is call them and they either come out and fix it, or walk me through it if it's simple.I have no idea about these computers though.
I think I will ask my BIL to take a look at them when he comes in next week, if I can't get the darn things fixed.
Thank you for all your help by the way.If you can think of anything I can do to save them, PLEASE let me know!!!!
Your IBM computer is too old for XP installation. There is either not enough disk space or not enough physical memory to run the program. However, if you have Win 98 disc, it should still work just fine. However, I would not use it because MS has stopped support for it. So no security patches and you are vulnerable to attacks.

It is probably running in safe mode. I am suspecting the deleted AOL file might have something to do with it. It has been a while, a long while, since I played with 98. I don't know if they have a system restore feature. I just found an article, read #4 and see if it helps you out.

Compaq:
When does "file not found" appear? Right at installation?

The computers are still good, but just need re-installation of the operation system. You might not be able to do much, word processing, email, browsing, but it should still work.