Pet grass...they won't eat it?!?

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

While at Petsmart the other day to pick up litter, I decided to get the pet grass they have for sale for like $5. I brought it home and put it on the floor when the kitties greeted me at the door as usual. At first, Palas jumped when he saw what I put next to him. I don't think he knew what it was. I did adopt him from a rescue at the age of 3 mos and DeeDee at 6wks old from the same place and I've never let them outside so it's possible they've never seen grass. They don't know what to do with it!!!
They sniff it...they look at it...they drink the water in the bowl I set it in...but they won't eat the grass! It's been 2 days. I even sprinkled cat nip on top of it which they love to eat. All they did was stick their faces in the grass to lick out the pieces of cat nip....hmmm...any suggestions? If they won't eat it, should I just not get it anymore?

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat won't leave it alone!
SEE>>>>>>>>

Maybe you should wash it. It might smell like something else in the store. I bought seeds and let mine grow. I have to lock it in the laundry room to get it to grow again or else he wont' give it a rest.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine just naturally eat it - Ginger was a shelter kitten, and never saw it until I bought her some, and she DOVE into it.

Of course, I bought it because she had been caught snacking on my Ponytail Palm...

Maybe yours just don't like it?

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what a GREAT photo!!!

My cats don't eat it either.

One thing we do for the cats at the shelter when we give it, is to make little clippings and put it on paper plates on the floor. They LOVE it then. Maybe give that a try. And if that doesn't work... then it's the gold 'ole PetSmart return policy. haha

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love that photo.

I bought one of those "grow it at home" bags from PetSmart and while it was growing on the counter, the kitties discovered it and started pulling out the blades as they grew. Once it was pretty fully grown, I put it on the floor, but all they did was pull it out and leave it on the floor so as to make a fun game for me - pick up the cat grass mom!!

Guess they just don't have a fine palate for those kinds of things. hahahaha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by techiegirl

what a GREAT photo!!!

My cats don't eat it either.

One thing we do for the cats at the shelter when we give it, is to make little clippings and put it on paper plates on the floor. They LOVE it then. Maybe give that a try. And if that doesn't work... then it's the gold 'ole PetSmart return policy. haha
Yes the clippings on the plate worked
I started clipping over a paper plate and that got them interested since I serve them wet or raw food on paper plates or in paper bowls. But when they got to it, Palas did start eating it but DeeDee has decided, atleast for now, it is not food and trys to play with it :p But one eating it is a start!
Thanks!

oogieone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Oogie loves it! The others eat it occasionally and especially like it when it gets dry for some reason...

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like people, I guess some like broccoli and some like meat.

Great picture Salem! I used to grow it for us to juice, and then discovered
we weren't the only ones 'eating' it. Yuck! Washed it much better after that.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats eat it periodically, it's just good to have it around. I buy about a pound of wheat grass seeds from the health food store and the seeds will probably last longer than I will.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls won't touch it either, but I'll pick tall grass from outside & stick the ends in their cardboard scratcher (so it stands upright), and they will eat it down to the nubbins!
JinJin was a feral, so I think she's used to that kind of grass, and Sabina will do whatever JinJin does.