Introducing Cats. Do's and Don'ts

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all I'm not getting another cat.. Well at least not to live here permanently. The local shelter put out an sos for anyone to foster cats. Right now they are MAX. I called and told them I'd be willing to foster for a few days. I don't know if they will have me do it. I do rent though animals hasn't been a problem with my landlord. Basically if I pay rent and don't trash the place he's good.

Now, when I first adopted Puff he was attacking the other cats in his cage. I think the cage was just too small for him and 2 other adult cats. At least that's my theory. We shall see if this happens.

What I'd like from you guys is to give me do's and don'ts for introducing cats.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are really only doing it a couple days, is there any need to introduce them at all? You might be better off keeping them separate totally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

If you are really only doing it a couple days, is there any need to introduce them at all? You might be better off keeping them separate totally.
Yes there is. I live in an apartment so I really have no place TO separate them.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

what about the bathroom?
My bathroom is very small. Yes technically I could fit a cat and a litter box in there. But I think it would be kinda cruel to do it. I mean their already locked up at the shelter. If I can get them to behave just for a couple days the cat could at least have fun while he/she is here. That is if this lady ever calls me back. She was suppose to call at 1pm and I haven't heard from her yet.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bathroom isn't cruel at all, really.

We had to quarantine one of our cats in the bathroom for a about a week lately, at our house. It's a 'normal' sized bathroom (6 feet by 5 feet w/ a window).

We did it for territorial reasons (one was spraying outta control and we had to "shrink" his territory; readjust his thinking!).

We do have a special quarantine room (4th bedroom) but it was out of commission... so the bathroom worked just fine.

As long as you keep the litter box as far apart as possible from the food & water bowls, and put a towel or a cushy bed down for them to sleep; it is not cruel at all!

After all --- cats in shelters are kept in TINY cages... VERY uncomfortable... for weeks. Til the inevitable happens (euthanasia or adoption).

As for as introducing cats: I have 8 cats and had to introduce them all to each other at one time or another. There are lots of tips. One of the "do's" is to keep the newbies in the 'quarantine' area for about a week. One week is usually what I did. I would let the cats sniff each other through the door bottom and I'd also hold the 'oldies' and go in and pet the 'newbies' to let the oldies smell the newbies. Get to know the new scent.

Also another key; clean out ALL the litter boxes, entirely; scrubbed and all. Start a-fresh with new, clean litter. Let them go about and explore and mark the boxes, they'll start sharing.

The issues we've had recently are just due to our volume of cats right now and the age range (2 years up to 16 years, males & females, etc.). So far so good, the 'bathroom quarantine' worked (I think!) and I've not seen any peemarks on walls, beds, or the dog's blanket.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

Yes there is. I live in an apartment so I really have no place TO separate them.
Then you will very likely have a problem. I agree with Zissou'sMom if they are only staying a few days it's really not worth trying to introduce them.

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a foster and I kept her in my tiny bathroom when I lived in an apartment. She didn't seem to mind, she seemed to enjoy being able to hide under the toilet and play with a ball in the bathtub.

It will be less stressful on her to keep her in the tiny bathroom than it will be to try to introduce two cats for just a few days.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it matters now. The woman never did call. So I guess they either had other fosters lined up or they euthanized.