how long could it be?

*hannah*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there I'm new I have a few questions about my cat who is heavily pregnant but it's just that she's so big i don't know whens she's gonna pop. The babes have been kicking fine and i have been able to see and feel them kick for nearly two weeks. Her nipples are large and there feels as if there is alot of milk in there. This is my first time I've ever had a pregnant cat so some help would really be great. thanks hannah

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome,

There are some great links in the sticky at the top of the page. Located here http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74659
Its full of great advice and will really help you with the basics.

You can usually feel the kittens start to move around 3 weeks before your cat is due.

Has she been nesting at all?

Does she have a room she can be in by herself with a nesting box all set up for her? Confining her to one room will help keep her feeling safe and secure. This will help her now and also after the babies have arrived as mom's will move their babies around if they dont feel safe.

Is she on a good quality kitten food? She will need all the extra calories and goodness this has to offer from now up until she has finished nursing the kittens.

Have you noticed her becoming restless? eating less? or having an upset stomach. These are all sighs labour could be coming soon.

Usually 24/48 hours before labour you may notice a brown discharge. This is the mucus plug that most cats will loose close to birth.

One last thing. If she is an indoor/outdoor cat she needs to be strictly kept indoors now. Not only is it safest for her during her pregnancy but it is also possible for cats to become pregnant again within a few days of giving birth so she needs to be kept away from any intact males until she can be spayed. This an usually be done from about 8 weeks after the kittens are born.

I hope this helped a little. A great thing about this site is that you can be sure there will be lots more advice to come.

Emma x x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

*hannah*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there thanks for the reply she hasn't even wanted to go out for a couple of weeks now, there is no sign of any plug she hasn't started to nest but i have done a box for her out of the way which is does sometimes sit in, it's just thats shes so big she can't hardly jump bless her, i am taking her to the vets hopefully tomorrow so will we have to wait and see i will keep you posted.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and a warm welcome to you and your cat
Whats her name

Theres some very experienced members here, so if you have any questions, just jump right in, we are all here to help

Emma has already given great advise and I am sure there'll be some other members who will add their help & guidance

Glad you dropped in to join us and keep us posted

lil'misskisses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet check is a really good idea. Not only will he be able to give you a general idea of when you could be expecting kittens and how many there could be but he can also just check over her general health for you.

Look forward to hearing how you get on

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil'misskisses

The vet check is a really good idea. Not only will he be able to give you a general idea of when you could be expecting kittens and how many there could be but he can also just check over her general health for you.

Look forward to hearing how you get on
ooo and while you are there you could ask about making an appointment to get her spayed
she'll be back in heat before you know it

*hannah*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there thanks every one for your help her name is dizzy and the reason i am worried bout her is that she is only 10-11 months old and looks so small, but i am going to get her spayed after the kittens are weaned and she won't be going outside until afterwards either. I have foned the vets and she has an appointment on friday just to get checked over i will keep every one posted thanks again for the advice hannah

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news. She can be spayed once the kittens are 8 weeks old. Make sure your house is very secure and if you have windows open, make sure the flyscreen is secure. The instinct to mate and become pregnant again will eventually be very strong and cats have been known to break flyscreens in order to get out. The kittens can go to their new homes when they reach 10-12 weeks.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

Good news. She can be spayed once the kittens are 8 weeks old. Make sure your house is very secure and if you have windows open, make sure the flyscreen is secure. The instinct to mate and become pregnant again will eventually be very strong and cats have been known to break flyscreens in order to get out. The kittens can go to their new homes when they reach 10-12 weeks.
don't think fly screens are common in the UK, but maybe the OP has those special locks that mean you can only open the window a small distance

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
your right the fly screens isnt seen hardly here in the uk, we normaly have a window lock that only allows you to open it an inch then lock it. or you can have it wide.
Welcome to the SIte , you have already been given great advise by the above posters. i just wanted to wish your little girl luck , and i hope she has a problem free delivery. and remember to breath!!.
im a pregnant cat buddy which means if you have any problems or need help with finding a spay clinic etc. then just PM at any time and i will try and get straight back to you. once you have done this i can then send you my email addy which is normally left on for most of the day/night.

*hannah*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks every one for your help yes i do have locks on my windows so she shouldn't be able to get out will have to put notes up every where to remind people not to let her out, no signs of anything happening to her as yet but fingers crossed that everything will be fine and she will have them soon. I am also giving her lactol is this ok? as not sure. I will keep you posted hannah

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she shouldnt need to be on lactol , as its a kitten milk replacer. unless advise to by your vet of course. but its always handy to have it around for the kittens

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not really necessary to give her Lactol but if she enjoys it and it doesn't upset her tummy, it's fine. You will need to feed her a good quality kitten food from now, right up to when she finishes nursing the kittens, as she needs the extra calories.

*hannah*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think it has upset her stomach so i'll see, i have been feeding her kitten food which she seems fine on thanks will keep everyone posted hannah

*hannah*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there again just to say no signs of anything happening yet any way her down below parts seems to be getting ready (i think anyway) they seem to be swallon so hopefully it won't be much longer

*hannah*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there again I took dizzy to vets today and she said that it could be even up to a week to 10 days before she pops but she's not totally sure but there's no kittens near her pelvis so maybe not yet and there's no milk that can be expressed yet. The vet reckons there's alot more than three babies in there, she also reckons that she should be ok giving her size. She was not a happy cat until I got her home but now she's fine. So fingers crossed it will be soon. will keep everyone posted.