Should I feel insulted?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those who don't know, the job that I have been doing for the past 2 years became permanent and I had to apply for it. I failed to get the job and have been given my walking papers (end of contract) for the 30th of May.

I had yesterday off from work as I have to use all of my overtime hours before the 30th. Today I go into work to find out that the girl that got "my job" didn't even last a month and Resigned yesterday. I wasn't told in a timely manner and had to find it out for myself. Then my boss calls me into her office to tell me. She also informed me that they had taken on a summer student (with absolutely no training in the field) to take the job. I'M SORRY, but this girl didn't interview for the job, does not have any qualifications and has no clue what she's doing. On the other hand I wanted the job, interviewed for the job and have the qualifications for it.

I was a bit insulted that I wasn't even asked. I think they just want rid of me and I don't know why. I have done everything they wanted me to do. I worked overtime, weekends, events, was the most flexible person they had when it came to taking over projects or filling in for people not there I was the one they came to and I did my job on top of that! I don't know why I am suddenly a leaper.

Would you not be insulted?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would be insulted and ticked off! I don't know if I would feel comfortable in a job situation as yours so I commend you for sticking to it. I don't understand why they would not hire someone who would be willing to work the hours they needed!
But with your qualifications maybe you can find another job and one that would appreciate your job skills and flexible hours.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to pursue it, I'm pretty sure that they have to prove why they hired someone less qualified.

The only reason I can think of is the pay - maybe they can start a newbie with a lower salary than they would have to pay you. There's probably some kind of company politics going on - might not have anything to do with you at all.

You should try not to take it personally (that's difficult though). This is a good time to find a job that's much better... it might be hard to see it now, but I'll bet at some point in the future you will be glad it happened.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heck yeah i would be insulted. I would also let them know it (in a polite but to the point way!) They can NOT walk all over people like that- even if they're employees- they are still people! Let them know EXACTLY what you bring to the table- make a list and memorize it before you talk to them- point out every single qualification and thing you've done for the company and ow you've made a difference- let them know what they're trying to "get rid of". Do not let them walk all over you like that- you are a strong woman and should not tolerate them doing that. I would be looking for another job if i were you where you will be respected and not have these types of issues.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
I agree with Swampwitch,Don't take it personally
because it sounds to me they are
trying to get out of your employment contract to me.I would get intouch with an
employment tribunal If I were you.

I don't know what the laws are where you are but I know in the Uk if you are a
'temp' employers have to make your job permanent after 12 months or lay you off.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's probably a legal/pay reason they don't want to hire you (like the pay issue, benefits they may have to give --if we have a co-op for a year we have to give them benefits, therefore no one keeps a co-op job more than 12 months regardless of how qualified they are

At this point, feeling I have nothing to lose, I would probably flat out ask why they're willing to hire an unproven, unqualified, untrained person when you are there and (at least were) willing to take the job. There wouldn't be any "downtime" because you already know the job, and as someone who interviews/hires, your situation would be a no brainer for me unless the finance people told me I couldn't hire you (for one of the above reasons).

Sounds pretty fishy. Either it's legal or personal and in either situation I would want someone to put on their big girl panties and tell me what the problem is.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also be insulted. Is the summer person related to anyone else who works there? I would ask for a post interview review to see what happened that didn't allow you to get the job. That way you have some idea how to improve for future interviews.

Good luck!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh, insulted? Yep. Furious? Yep. Outraged? Yep.

I have three words for you - Unfair Dismissal Suit. Unless they can come up with a reasonable and genuine explanation this should never have happened and you have every right to pursue it. That is a dreadful way to treat a loyal staff member and I would be demanding - demanding! - to know what the hell is going on.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Uh, insulted? Yep. Furious? Yep. Outraged? Yep.

I have three words for you - Unfair Dismissal Suit. Unless they can come up with a reasonable and genuine explanation this should never have happened and you have every right to pursue it. That is a dreadful way to treat a loyal staff member and I would be demanding - demanding! - to know what the hell is going on.

I don't think they can do that in the U.S. Since she was contract she wasn't really working for the company. Pretty much the only way where she could have a suit is if she were 40 (or older) and they brought in the intern (Age discrimination). Since she's not, and was contract, the employer basically has a free for all.

I still would be insulted though...if the employer really deemed you as a valuable asset to the company, they would have payed whatever fee to hire you in. If you want to stay there I would negotiate hard with them (pay raise, extra benefits, ice cream once a week...foot massages...)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, there is probably nothing you can do, and if I were you, I would not want to work there any longer. But I do feel you are entitled to know why they acted this way, and I would find out as politely and quietly as you can, asking to see the person in charge of hiring policy if you feel you cannot ask you immediate boss. If they are any kind of decent people at all, they should let you know if there is anything thye find wrong with you, though after two years it is difficult to see what.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of states in the US are "right to work" states, so they dismiss you at any time except for the usual race/sex/age rules. Unless you have a written contract, it is considered "employment at will" and either party can walk away at any time without penalty.

I would be
for all the mess you are going through, Sibohan, but there may not be much you can do other than learn a lesson from it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Sadly, there is probably nothing you can do, and if I were you, I would not want to work there any longer. But I do feel you are entitled to know why they acted this way, and I would find out as politely and quietly as you can, asking to see the person in charge of hiring policy if you feel you cannot ask you immediate boss. If they are any kind of decent people at all, they should let you know if there is anything thye find wrong with you, though after two years it is difficult to see what.
I agree with Jenny. I personally wouldn't want to work there after being treated like that. I also think you are entitled to know why and should find out if you can without throwing a hissy-fit. Do it maturely and calmly.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you should feel insulted. I would still inquire about why they didn't approach you but then they might choose their words carefully and not tell the truth. You are better without them if that's how they treat people with experience.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would very insulted, really really insulted. I would also demand to know WHY I wasn't hired, based on what JellyBella said, no training, etc etc, and if I wasn't given a straight, reasonable answer, my walking shoes would be on. That's just a ridiculous stiuation, I wish you the best Rhonda

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine that you could always file an EEO complaint. That said, I don't think I would want to try to fight to keep my job after being treated that way by an employer. If they even valued what you did for them they would have come to you first about getting/keeping the job.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently had to apply for a slightly amended version of the job I was doing - I didn't get it and was therefore made redundant, and while I have been quite philosophical about it all, if the person who took the job left for any reason I would expect to be offered the position, and if I wasn't, I would be furious and feel insulted. So I have no advice, but you have my sympathy- I understand how you feel

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

The only reason I can think of is the pay - maybe they can start a newbie with a lower salary than they would have to pay you. There's probably some kind of company politics going on - might not have anything to do with you at all.
That was my thought as well.

Sorry about your job, that sucks!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I admire your ability to keep walking in there every day in spite of all this -- and I understand that you probably need to do that in order to qualify for unemployment assistance if you can't find something else quickly, and to make sure this job doesn't tell callers that you quit on them. All of that makes perfect sense.

But if I were you, I would nonetheless be out finding another job as fast as I could, and as soon as I had it, I'd walk. I would give them not one more moment of help, not one more moment of training somebody else, not one more moment of taking that kind of abuse. These people are playing stupid games with you for some reason, and you don't deserve that. And they don't deserve you.

Believe me, I've been in abusive work situations, too. It's not worth it.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you were working, but in Canada, if it's a government job and you were hired as a determinate (non-permanent) employee, once your term was over, if you hadn't been successful on the job process for a permanent job, they wouldn't be able to offer it to you. That's regardless of how good a job you were doing! Sucks, I know! Just learn from it and move on.