What Laundry Detergent & Fabric Softners Do You Use??

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering what everyone uses as far as laundry items go (laundry detergent and fabric softner). I use a huge tub of detergent we got on sale at Costco (their kirkland brand powder) it works just as good as the other brands and really cleans well for a fraction of the cost
With the money i do save on detergent, i get yummy fabric softner. I like Downy Simple Pleasures (lavender & vanilla) and i like Apple Tango Mango from another brand.
What do you use??

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use local, unscented laundry powders. One is made from recycled soap from hotels - they somehow get the scent out. I add OxyClean if needed - that stuff is GREAT.

I don't use dryer sheets or softeners... they stink and leave a film on the clothes! They would put lots of unnecessary chemicals against our skin, IMO. We use all cotton and natural fabrics so we don't have any static anyway.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No Fabric softener...its awful for the environment.

I use Method 3x's concentrated laundry detergent. It has a little bottle, so its easy to haul and creates less waste and contributes less to the burning of fuel in transport and plastics production, not to mention being less waste!

Hey Nikki....sometimes I wash my clothes with Bubble Bars! It works awesomely, but I don't really heavily soil my clothing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh i forgot to add- i use the dollar tree brand (of woolite) or regular woolite when i wash my delicats- i wash those by hands and don't use ANY fabric softner on those as my doctor said you shouldn't use fabric softner on underware (apparently it can cause issues
) i do use fabric softner on my other clothes though so they don't get that rough feeling about them.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Tide unscented, Oxyclean unscented, Downey unscented, and Clorox Colorsafe Bleach unscented (do you see a pattern here? LOL!). I have lung and sinus issues, and some scents clog me up (lavender is one of the worst
), so I try to keep the scents to an absolute minimum. Oh, and I use Dreft for my "cat pee load" (still having litterbox issues with Bird...
).

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tide, regular kind. And the Bounty that doesn't smell like much, linen something I think. (Dryer sheets, not fabric softener, I don't know what fabric softener is even supposed to do?)

I will only ever use Tide. Anything else smells funny after a lifetime (one of the three things my mom would spend for the name-brand of).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use All Free Clear. Anything colored used on my laundry & my skin turns that color. Try being blue once.
How 'bout purple?

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tide with a touch of Downy, with Febreeze spring breeze fabric softener in a Downy Ball and a dryer sheet of whatever scent I feel like having at the time. I love the soft feel of freshly laundered sheets!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Gain liguid laundry soap.The powder is TERRIBLE for the septic system.And no fabric softner, because it makes Shawn's clothes smell soured when he sweats.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I use local, unscented laundry powders. One is made from recycled soap from hotels - they somehow get the scent out. I add OxyClean if needed - that stuff is GREAT.

I don't use dryer sheets or softeners... they stink and leave a film on the clothes! They would put lots of unnecessary chemicals against our skin, IMO. We use all cotton and natural fabrics so we don't have any static anyway.
I'm in the process of switching over to more natural laundry powders, but I found the best all natural softener! http://www.methodhome.com/products/d...yercloth_wlily

They smell wonderful and don't leave a nasty film all over your clothes!

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All Free & Clear here, with an extra rinse - otherwise I'm itchy and miserable. :\\ I don't use liquid fabric softener, but sometimes whatever sheets are on sale.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Method Free & Clear liquid. all others (even "free" formulas) make me itch like mad. plus it's better for the environment. if this stuff ever stops working i will have to try seventh generation.

we don't use fabric softener. stopped using it years ago when we were broke, and never went back. it makes towels less absorbent anyway.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I never knew fabric softener left a film on clothes. I use Tide with the purple frebreze, matching liquid softener and sheets. I am addicted to the scent.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunlight Or Sunlight with Bleach depending on what I am washing. I have been using it for years and am totally addicted to the Lemon Scent. I generally don't use fabric softener but use either Bounce or Fleecy sheets in the dryer. I did try the Febreeze when it first came out but unfortunately found that it made me itchy, which is one of the reasons I don't use fabric softeners, I find they leave a residue.