Does anyone like bluegrass?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really do, does anyone know any more good bands? I listen to my bluegrass digital music channel but I don't think they are really playing what I like.

So far I have Leftover Salmon (saw them live once it was awesome), The Wailin Jennys' new album, and Old Crow Medicine.

Recommendations? Thoughts?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i cant think of any groups i like,
i love blue grass music just not when they sing ,
all the cd i have are just the music with no vocals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And what Bela Fleck cd is less jazz and more bluegrass? I mean, I know their jazz is like Pink Floyd is jazz, but still.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Allison Krauss? I'm bad with the names of the people; I just like the songs...my favorite CD is still "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou", so I'm a little behind...
But I think Allison Krauss was the last one my DH bought/was given...doesn't help much, does it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to like Alison Krause but I just don't. (My sister likes it on car rides).

Any help is help. A lot of the music I've heard and loved I've never known the name of.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find any anywhere, try Lost In The Mail.
That was my brother's Bluegrass band, I know they made at least one studio recording back in the 80s.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever heard of Uncle Walt's Band? Three guys: Walter Hyatt on guitar, Champ Hood on guitar, fiddle, and mandolin, and David Ball on stand-up bass... all singers, all songwriters.

That's them below, about the time I first heard them -- left to right, Champ, David, and Walter.

They started out in South Carolina, and their soft Southern accents were so much a part of their sound. They became very popular in Austin during the mid-'70s, and that's where I first heard them, at Waterloo Ice House one summer night. They were sort of bluegrassy and jazzy at the same time, old-style jazz... they sounded like they could have beamed in directly from the year 1925 or so.

And they were the nicest guys, very genuine people, all about the music -- not fame or money, but just making good honest music every day of their lives. They were so beloved. I remember sitting on the grass one night at Symphony Square as they played, with lightning flickering in the distance and the whole audience singing along, knowing every word of every song... it was pure bliss.

But Walter Hyatt was aboard the ValuJet flight that crashed in the Florida Everglades... and Champ Hood died of cancer a few years ago. So it's only David Ball now, and he's working in Nashville, doing pretty well as a country artist.

But Champ's son Warren is making a name for himself as a fiddler like his dad. And to think, I remember helping his mom change his diaper in the ladies' room during a show one night!

Anyway... Uncle Walt's Band sounds like nobody else I've ever heard... there's a lilt and a jauntiness and a wry little smile in their music that just plain makes me happy. You can hear a couple of music clips and buy two wonderful CDs here:

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/musi...504289,00.html

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Allison Krauss? I'm bad with the names of the people; I just like the songs...my favorite CD is still "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou", so I'm a little behind...
But I think Allison Krauss was the last one my DH bought/was given...doesn't help much, does it?
I like that cd too

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My FIL was(passed away 4 years ago) in a Bluegrass Gospel group......called the High Mountain Ramblers,so yes I listen to it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a moment of stupidity, Steve Martin (yes the comedian), is also an accomplished Bluegrass banjo player.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Steve Martin's very good! I saw him on Letterman awhile back, playing with four other guys, including Earl Scruggs. They were great!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I think of Bluegrass the first name that comes to mind is Bill Monroe. But the last CD I bought was Allison Krause.

I Googled "Bluegrass Music" and got tons of hits. "Wikipedia" is the second link and has a really good explanation of what it really is and mentions lots of names to look for.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While I don't know many bands, I go to a big Bluegrass festival in Guthrie Ok every year. If you have heard of Byron Berline, he puts it on. Besides Byrons band, my favorite to see every year is the Kruger Brothers.