Puppykat??

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was looking at the Rare & Exotic Feline Registery site after I saw a link in another thread in this forum. I clicked on the breeds link and was astonished that they have a breed listed called Puppykat. Here is the link to the page: http://rareandexoticfelinereg.homest...breed_PPK.html

I'm not a breeder, but I just don't understand why people would cross breed to create these unusual cats. What are your thoughts?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there was a whole thread about this awhile back, it's sick isn't it?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO its a nitemare waiting to happen. You have several lethal genes in the mix - manx and folded ears - in both cases you can't breed folded to folded or tailless to tailless without deformed or dead cats.

And to top it off, they add the polydactactal gene too. IMO its a mess. Not a "breed"!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are people lacking common sense dabbling in everything I guess. It looks like they are trying for a cat that looks like a puppy. If someone wants a puppy then they should get a puppy not a cat.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just my opinion, but that registry doesn't seem very legit. Their breed list seems to be made up mostly of "unknowns". People making up their own breeds......like puppycats.

Ridiculous name for a moggie cat, that has issues.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See I remember seeing something on here about this before and I was so mad, I read the article on it and I am def going to do a search thru here looking for it! But it was a lady who rescues and their was an accidental mating (now arent rescues from shelters usually fixed?? ) But anywho...thye got kittens that had the "puppy like" characteristics, now most cats and breeds have that well playing fetch and things like that and well not all cats actually go by what their characteristics say u know! Each cat her their own persoanlity!

But they are breeding several different breeds or mixed breeds for these "puppy cats" and IMO I think its rediculous!

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...uppy+cat+breed

Theres the thread all about it

oogieone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is good she is spaying/neutering the kittens she sells, because otherwise there would be some very unfortunate breeding problems. This is a horrendous example of an attempted defense of her breeding practices in a letter she has posted on her website (http://www.bundlesofunkitties.com/BOFK-letter.html ):
" I can name about 10 dog breeds that I don't think are good for the dog to be bred that way and some cat breeds too that breeders have wrecked! I guess if all dogs came from wolves, then all dogs that don't look like wolves were originally wolves with floppy ears, etc. They were defects that people liked and made a breed out of. So, does that make all of those breeds bad? Should we go back to having wolves as pets and let all of the dog breeds die off?"
I think that paragraph alone speaks volumes about her intelligence...or lack thereof...

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok wow...That is disgusting that people are doing stuff like that to poor animals. I know that someone had an issue about my Herc and my moms cat Pickles having babies but that was purely ACCIDENT I was waiting and waiting for Pickles to go into heat to be able to notify the vet to be able to have her spayed. He said I had to wait for her first heat cycle before having her spayed and even tho her and Herc were seperated accidents do happen and they ended up having 4 kittens, which is where Bubba comes in. But I would NEVER EVER EVER purposefully do something like that to any animal. In fact Im waiting to hear from PA Pets about whether or not I can make an appt for Herc to get neutered. And then its just a matter of waiting for Bubba to be old enough.
As for what I read from that womans "defense" it can loosely be called a defense. People who mis breed dogs are just as lazy and crazy as she is. Who in the world would purposely want a CAT that looks like a puppy...If you want a cat you get a cat. If you want a dog you get a dog. Not try and mix the two. What are they going to come out with next a CatDog....Geez it might turn out just like that psychotic cartoon that used to be on Nickelodeon!!!!!!

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok now I just read the whole letter. If she has a lack of money and is paying for all of this out of her pocket how genuine is the research that she is doing. Is just going for the lowest cost person she can find to get the work done. And if she has all these documents stating facts why in the world didnt she just look it up and have all of it written right away. Im sure the people who are telling her that shes messing up and doing somethig stupid wouldnt mind reading 5 pages of research and valid documentation of what she has done. I know I would have read as many pages as she could have typed to her hearts content!!!!! I dont care what she has written on paper saying what she did. She better be able to show valid documentation and PROOF over what shes doing before people stop saying shes doing something stupid. And even then people are intitled to their opinion and IMO shes a flippin looney tune!!!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I'd look for a different vet
In this day/age there is no reason to wait for a female to go into heat one time to be spayed. And same for males - kittens can and should be neutered at 3 months old (right now I don't like it earlier then 3 months).

Unless the cat is in a specific breeding program to IMPROVE the breed, they should be neutered at a young age. There have been cases of 4 month old males and females breeding!

Charlie was done at 3 1/2 months old - the breeders happen to be veternarians
. But even if they weren't, they still would have the kittens done before placing them in new homes

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about breeding, but those animals just look sad and miserable to me. It sounds bad with the various genes and reminds me of a computer game I played once where you could play geneticist for experimenting with mutations to see what sort of creatures you got. All of mine died when I experimented in the game, likely for good reason..lol

I hope that people that cross pets like this for the new "Fad pet" get the karma retribution that's coming to them. Its just not right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the one that I just was disgusted over:

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im glad I know now that I didnt have to wait for her heat cycle. Pickles and Hercules were the first cats I had to have spayed/neutered without my mom doing all the work. And I figured what the hey I can do it myself...I guess I was wrong I just went to the only vet that I THOUGHT I could trust. Which turns out wasnt that great of an idea. As soon as I hear word from PA Pets Im getting my boys neutered and Little Man (he wont answer to Bubba anymore only Little Man or Little Bit, I guess he told me huh..lol) will be 4 mths old in about 2 wks. Ive gotta check with my mom for sure she knows the exact date and time he was born.. Im hoping it wont be too much longer till I can make the appt and get all this done. Have any of you been able to work out a budget system with a vet, getting shots and stuff is taking a toll on the bank and Id like to work out something with a vet since Davids work hrs are going to get cut severely once school is out..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you can work something out. As long as you are consistent in paying it. Will be bad for you if you don't

How old are you? If you have a job, and a regular paycheck, they should be able to work with you

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked at that Rare & Exotic Feline Registry page once - I hope no-one takes offence at this, but it just seemed to be a front to try to legitimise and give respectability to various dodgy and unethical breeding policies. I came away from that site feeling quite sad. I have nothing against the development of new breeds per se (after all, if no-one had taken the trouble to spot and breed from the few naturally occuring rex mutations that have occurred then we would be without several accepted and loved breeds today) but I worry about the indiscriminate breeding of cats with folded ears and lacking a tail, since those genes can be fatal if not outcrossed or bred responsibly.

And above all a cat should be a cat. Why try to breed a cat that looks like a puppy? That's just odd. I have 2 cats that act in a slightly doggy way, loyal, following me around etc. but they are 100% cat and I wouldn't want it any other way.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Rare and Exotic Feline Registry is commonly used as a first step to start a new breed. Yes, there are new breeds that we all do not agree with. I don't like the Puppykat (or whatever it is called) either. In order to be accepted to REFR, there is a process. A Genetic Committee studies it and there is an interview. Is it difficult? Not too much, but not super easy either. Anyway, there will always be people that create things that we don't agree with. The dog world went through this and the cat world is going through it now.

Just don't be hasty to judgement on all breeds that go through there. Some of us are very legit and are breeding strong, healthy, and unique cats. There are registering agencies out there other than CFA and TICA, although those are the largest. For the Bramble, TICA will be the next step. I was involved with the Peterbald, which is now in TICA championship status, and the Bramble will take a similar route.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Magnoliachat - don't take what I say too much to heart. I am in the UK and unfamiliar with the smaller US registries, as we have a completely different system and different registries here. Our main registry is the GCCF and they are very strict, the Scottish Fold for example is not accepted by them as a breed because of the lethal gene, the Manx is only accepted under very strict breeding policy conditions, and it took them years to accept the Ragdoll because they had to research to reassure themselves that they were not 'neurologically different' - just to give you an idea of my culturally different experience of acceptance of breeds!

Please let me reassure you that my concern with that particular registry's website was not because I am against the creation of new and potentially legitimate breeds, far from it - as I have mentioned before I am a bit of a fan of the Cornish Rex (my beloved Radar is half Cornish) which would not be here were it not for experimental breeding - but their backing of what I consider to be dangerous breeding practices involving one or more lethal genes (folds and tail-less together in one line) left a bad taste in my mouth.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Magnoliachat - don't take what I say too much to heart. I am in the UK and unfamiliar with the smaller US registries, as we have a completely different system and different registries here. Our main registry is the GCCF and they are very strict, the Scottish Fold for example is not accepted by them as a breed because of the lethal gene, the Manx is only accepted under very strict breeding policy conditions, and it took them years to accept the Ragdoll because they had to research to reassure themselves that they were not 'neurologically different' - just to give you an idea of my culturally different experience of acceptance of breeds!

Please let me reassure you that my concern with that particular registry's website was not because I am against the creation of new and potentially legitimate breeds, far from it - as I have mentioned before I am a bit of a fan of the Cornish Rex (my beloved Radar is half Cornish) which would not be here were it not for experimental breeding - but their backing of what I consider to be dangerous breeding practices involving one or more lethal genes (folds and tail-less together in one line) left a bad taste in my mouth.
No offense taken at all. Thanks for posting again on this with further explanation.

Don't ever worry about me being upset, though. I don't get upset at much. Life is too short.