11 month old, and no heat yet???

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a question for the experienced breeders...or anyone else who could help. I have an 11month old Persian who has not come into heat yet. All of my other queens usually have had their 1st heat anywhere between 7 - 9 months...but this girl just turned 11months and no heat yet. I have been watching her closely and I don't believe she even had a silent heat that I could have missed.

Has anyone else experienced this with a female having her 1st heat so late...(or absence of a heat so late)?

Valerie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vrgchs

I have a question for the experienced breeders...or anyone else who could help. I have an 11month old Persian who has not come into heat yet. All of my other queens usually have had their 1st heat anywhere between 7 - 9 months...but this girl just turned 11months and no heat yet. I have been watching her closely and I don't believe she even had a silent heat that I could have missed.

Has anyone else experienced this with a female having her 1st heat so late...(or absence of a heat so late)?

Valerie
I am not a breeder ... but what I have read the Persians are "late" bloomers

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Valerie,

Most of my girls did not cycle before 12 months. I was actually surprised when I had one start at 11 months. So, nothing to worry about. It's common in persian girls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vrgchs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank You Lynda! I was just worried about this girl, but this eases my mind. I know Persians are late bloomers...but I have never had a girl be this late. She is a total outcross from complete different lines then my others...this could explain a lot. Makes me feel a lot better.

Valerie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard from persian breeders that have females who didn't breed until 2 yrs old. Then you have the opposite - siamese breeders with females coming into heat at 4-5 months old!

Do you have a website of your kitties?

mirage

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two of my queens (Cornish Rex) had their first heats at around 12 months or a little later. I remember vividly because we were very anxious to get kittens from them and it seemed to take forever for them to have their first heats.
Do you know when her mom had her first heat? The mother of these queens also had a late (although not as late) first heat.

Mirage

oweerak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I live in arizona, usa so all my girls started early but I have a friend that had a persian girl that was 15 months of age before her first heat-
I hope this helps-maybe you should expose her to lots of sunlight-

Liv

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Then you have the opposite - siamese breeders with females coming into heat at 4-5 months old!
Yeah I caught Mica and Rocket being naughty when she was 5 months old, she got spayed very soon afterwards

Fingers crossed Hopey is not there yet, although coming up to seven months, I am expecting this delightful experience soon.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had late bloomers in males and females. I had one female who wasn't quite ready for breeding until she was 18 months of age, and I have had a male from separate line, not know how to breed until he was 2, but he got the hang of it pretty quickly after that. My opinion is breed may have something to do with it, but not in all cases. The stud who was 2 years old before he became sexually mature, produced a son, who if we would have allowed him to do the deed at 5 months, I think would have been successful. I also have a young 4 and 5 month old females come into heat early, and so far my small experience has shown that when they go into heat early and often, those are the ones that need to be retired earlier, as they need to sometimes be bred more often, to reduce the risk of pyometra, but in doing so it drains the Mother cat of her resourses, and also I don't like breeding as often as she would have needed, so she became a loved pet.
You might also need to watch for silent heats, maybe she will become more affectionate, but not call.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Early heats - that's why Charlie's mom was never shown - she started heats early and had to be bred sooner and more often. But she has produced grand champions/premiers in every litter too

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female was over a year before her first heat, the heat the never ended.
She is now spayed.