What are your neighbours like?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so incredibly lucky. My neighbours are amazing people. I live in a HUGE apartment complex that has hundreds of apartments and townhouses. When we moved in we thought it was so big that we'd never talk to anyone.

Our townhouse is in a block of eight 2 level 2 bedroom townhouses (in each "building" in the complex it has all 2 bedroom townhouses, or all 3 bedroom apartments, or whatever), and we know 4 other groups in our building.

On one side is a middle aged single lady who is lovely - she adopted Cleo, my first foster kitty.

On the other side is a South African couple who are probably just a couple of years older than us, and they have a 6 month old boy. They are also wonderful people and have become good friends. Next to them is a couple with a 20-something year old son, and they keep to themselves, but we smile and wave at each other.

Next to them is another couple about our age who are due to have their first child next Monday, they are also fabulous people - very sweet, friendly people and have also become good friends. They also have a cat, so we all cat sit for each other. Next to them is a couple from Argentina with a 3 year old girl, and are ALSO lovely lovely people.

We were just saying to each other the other day that we felt so incredibly lucky to have such wonderful neighbours, and have never lived anywhere that we've known so many of our neighbours and gotten along with them so well.

What about you? What are your neighbours like?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just moved to the house i'm in now in october, and i've made friends with practically all of them. My house is in a cul de sac so theres only a few of them, but at christmas they all put a card through my door with their name and door numbers inside.

Theres 3 policemen, a policewoman, a social worker, a nurse, a teacher, a vehicle recovery bloke, a couple of elderly ladies at the top and not sure what the others do?. But either way every one of them made me welcome when i moved in.

Oh and Colin nextdoor cuts my front lawn

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My only neighbors are my parents and yes, we chose to move in next door to them

They're the coolest people I know. My Dad's an amazing artist (woodwork, pen and ink, oil, watercolor, ceramics) and my Mom is the sweetest most giving person that I know

I'm really blessed to have such a great relationship with them both!
As neighbors they are always there to lend a hand (or two) but at the same time are totally unobtrusive. It's worked out really well.
The kids love being able to see them whenever they want to and my parents are always up for a visit from the grandkids

My husband even loves living near them, though he says he couldn't handle living so close to his parents.

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One one side there is a very old lady - she can't hear me and I can't understand her, but she walks her ancient cat out in the yard, and I like her.

On the OTHER side is a young couple and their two (ill-behaved) children. The woman seems nice enough, but she is NOT an animal lover. I was cleaning rabbit cages outside once, and she asked me if it was really worth it (in a tone that made it obviously that she didn't think it was). She has called exterminators for bats and mice in her house, complained about birds making nests around her house, and keeps her grass mowed to about 1/8" because otherwise clover might grow, and clover attracts honey bees. Once she even warned me that she'd seen a pigeon in my driveway... we live in town. Of course there is an occasional pigeon. Anyway, she kinda weirds me out, and I'm sure I do the same for her.

Otherwise, we keep to ourselves.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well the nieghbor next to us, causes nothing but trouble and has since we moved here
and well we are going to be in a "fued" this year because our dogs bark, but then here I am afraid to walk in MY YARD because his dogs arent chained and they went after my brother and the dogs before (but my cocoa wont let anything happen and bit the dog back after it bit my jasmine) Also anytime ur in our yard his dogs bark at us now why should we keep our dogs quiet if he cant do the same to his
I will be making a post for some advice about that!

But the neighbors behind us are so friendly, I actually no the chick from whenever we first moved up here because I was friends with her little sister! And well they are all just a trip and her dh comes and helps out my dad all the time with cutting trees and the pool and such

And the other neighbors well the lady is a little crazy, and her dh helps my dad out whenever he needs somehing fixed and he helped us take the cover off the pool so they are cool!

It is just that one neighbor that none of us can stand

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My neighbors are nosey old biddies who like nothing more than to complain about the brats next door. They continually stand in front of our house talking about how horrible we are and stuff call the township on us for stupid things. Have even gone as far as calling Children and Youth on us because we ran out of oil...during the summer!!!!!!! We dont have parties and the few get together we have had are all quiet and we are very polite. Before out lawnmower broke I would go out of my way to mow their lawns and stuff so they didnt have to pay anyone when its snows we shovel their sidewalks because here you can get a fine for not shoveling within 12 hrs of snowfall. I like to think that Dave and I are very good neighbors. both of them hate our dog and cats they think we are dirty people. Currently our lawn mower is broken and we have very high grass well our budget is kinda of tight right now so we cant get our mower fixed right away. But heaven forbid any of them mow our lawn to help us out....They just called the township on us today because our lawn was 6 inches high...So I walked over to the one lady and asked if I could use her mower to fix the problem and she flat out said why would I help you when I called them on you. Well tough cookies for her because we own the house we live in so we arent leaving for a longgggg time!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I just moved to the house i'm in now in october, and i've made friends with practically all of them. My house is in a cul de sac so theres only a few of them, but at christmas they all put a card through my door with their name and door numbers inside.

Theres 3 policemen, a policewoman, a social worker, a nurse, a teacher, a vehicle recovery bloke, a couple of elderly ladies at the top and not sure what the others do?. But either way every one of them made me welcome when i moved in.

Oh and Colin nextdoor cuts my front lawn
That's great!!! When we buy, we'd like to be in a cul-de-sac for that reason! I think people get more of a chance to get to know each other, and it feels more community like

Originally Posted by kittiesx2

My only neighbors are my parents and yes, we chose to move in next door to them

They're the coolest people I know. My Dad's an amazing artist (woodwork, pen and ink, oil, watercolor, ceramics) and my Mom is the sweetest most giving person that I know

I'm really blessed to have such a great relationship with them both!
As neighbors they are always there to lend a hand (or two) but at the same time are totally unobtrusive. It's worked out really well.
The kids love being able to see them whenever they want to and my parents are always up for a visit from the grandkids

My husband even loves living near them, though he says he couldn't handle living so close to his parents.
Wow, that's so cool to not only have parents like that, but to be able to live next door to them! I'd love to live next to my mum, but the city we want to settle in when we buy is nowhere near where she lives (and yes, it's a very tough decision to live somewhere not near her).

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My neighbors are 1/2 mile away all around. They shoot cats, don't spay/neuter, & in general suck. That's what I get for living in a rural area, though!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh where do I start?

The neighbors to my left are from Ohio. They moved in just before Christmas. They have a 14yr old son and a 17yr old daughter. The daughter is sweet and at first we had problems with the son but I've since straightened it out
The father is a jerk! He's out of work and we offered to help him out by hiring him into our roofing company. (He told us when he first moved in he's done roofing) He told his son "No, I don't want anything to do with them"
We were confused because he's always standing at the fence talkin to us

The lady on the other side is a weirdo
She smokes pot, walks around in tube tops with her fat hanging out and a belly piercing. She also takes her dentures out to talk to you and shows off her tongue ring
She's hit on my husband MANY time and he just about
everytime
Did I mention she's in her 50's?

I really don't associate with the people across the street since the husband decided to call my house incessently at 4 in the morning wanting to know if we wanted to come shoot pool or play guitar.... yes..... another

See why I keep to myself?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our neighbours are our best friends,
we bought our houses and moved here the in the same week years ago. Our children grew up together and we have seen each other through lifeâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s ups and downs. The biggest down is G. being diagnosed with MS, he has gradually got more and more disabled over the years (he has been in a wheelchair for years and after another MS attack last year is unable even to feed himself) C. does all his care and I do some one day a week so she can go out.
We wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to live next to anyone else; because of Gâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s disability they canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t cope with pets so we share our cats, they regularly go round there, so much so they have their own blanket on their bed.

On the other side a single man in his 50â€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s lived with his Mother until she died earlier this year, so now he is on his own.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure what we are going to find at our new house. Not very friendly there I'm afraid, but that's ok, we pretty much keep to ourselves.
The old house we have an old couple on one side of us and they are nice enough, on the other there's a family of about 1 zillion people living in a three to four bedroom house, and they are constantly coming and going all hours of the day and night. Their relation live in houses on the other side of the street and are not a pleasant group either. Mowing at ten to 8 in the am yelling at all hours in the night during the summer, it's just wonderful. Hence one of the many reasons we want to leave and are hoping our house sells quickly.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My closest neighbor as far as distance is very quiet. She must think we are odd though because whenever she does leave her house Mooch and Noodles are ususally on the cat tree staring!

I have one neighbor who is really nice and his kids cut our grass sometimes. His wife is a "recovering" alcoholic/drug addict.

Our other neighbor that I speak with is very nice. He knows everyone. He would check up on me when DH was in Iraq and his grandson (lives with him) mowed our lawn and he weedwacked while DH was away too. Now the grandson is a young teenager and the hormones have done a number on the once sweet kid!

My only other neighbors I see have like 6 kids in their trailer. They are the ones where the little boy was running around outside with no pants on earlier this spring. They seem like nice people but DH is the only one whos talked to the husband. Their kids do play with another neighbor's kid but other than when that kid 'painted' my taillight with mud, we've not talked with his mom, who seems to be a single mother.

We have a young couple behind us with a little one. They play loud music and have lots of trash. That's about all I know. Most of the other neighbors that stand out around here do so because they lack class of any kind and/or like to blast loud music at all hours. I can't wait to move! But I'm sure it could be much worse!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My neighbors are ok. We really haven't gotten close to them. I'm the odd one out, as I'm childless, and plan to stay that way. The houses are close together, and there are 300-400 houses in the huge development--it's definitely a family-oriented neighborhood! I think the women think I'm weird, as I'm married, and STILL have no kids. Shortly after I moved in, I was invited to a gals' party. We were sittting around; one woman smilled at me, and said, "So, do you have kids?". I said no, and she promptly turned to the person beside her, and ignored me after that! How rude. I was the only one there without kids, and felt so left out--very few of the women here work outside the home, which I do. However, most are pleasant enough. We chose this neighborhood (at the time, we sorta planned to have kids) because we liked the house, and the neighborhood, being family-oriented, seemed wholesome and safe to me (and I think our house would have good re-sale value due to that). I do think they've given up on their quest to make me a mom--they haven't made cutesy remarks for awhile about "Ooooh, does THAT mean your're planning to get pregnant?" when I make some off-hand remark about my health, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like kids--I have a lot of child-care experience; they seem to like me, but H is not crazy about kids (though he says he'd like one of his own), but, due to health problems, and the fact I have to work, helped me decide recently that it wouldn't be a good idea. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make...I'd love to have a child with my hubby!

Apart from all of the above, they seem like nice people, and most folks say "Hi" on the street, even if they don't know you. I think I could count on at least a few of them in an emergency; and they could count on me, too.

MargeCat

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S. is the neighbor to the south and grew up in this neighborhood. (Sis babysat for his parents and he was apparently a bit of a brat.
) He mows our side yard and front yard if it needs it. We offered to reimburse him for gas, but he said he had to turn the mower around anyway.

The other neighbor is new (house is a rental) and we haven't gotten to know them, yet.

The folks across the highway are nice. I've only talked to the wife when she brought over our mail that had been stuck in her mailbox.

Neighbor to the south of them have two dogs who bark whenever I am in our yard, but they have the buried fence that keeps them contained (unlike the previous resident whose leatherlunged barker would try to run across the road when I got our mail and who met his end on the highway.)

Mom has lived in this neighborhood almost all her life (almost 80 years) as have I.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the immediate neighbors (3 of them) - one died about a month after we moved in and their family kept the house to use for a summer house whenever they were in town - so no one there. The other, she's rarely home on weekends and works during the week, so we don't see much of her.

The one across the street is the best neighbors. He's retired, she works PT at the drug store and they are more then willing to babysit the dog (and cats) if we go out of town on the weekend and need them.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbors are nice enough, but not very social..but I know they would help me if I ever needed it..I guess that is what is most important...