what to do?

michild

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a single working parent with a 12 year old girl who absolutly hates our cat. I rescued it from a house that the owner abandoned. The cat was about 6 weeks old. I am extremly allergic to cats however, this poor little kitten didn't eat or drink for 3 days and she was very close to death. There was also a dog in this house who had to be put down due to it's temper. I brought the kitten home in November of 2006 and I nursed it back to health. She is a healthy cat today. However, because of my allergies and my daughter hating my cat, I live in an apartment and I think it's time to get rid of her. I attempted to give her to a nice farm, but I was so upset that she was gone I got her the next day.After that tramatic night on the farm my cat ( which by the way is named "Cat") came home and started to meow very loudly all the time even when I was in the room. Whats up with her? I do have to give her up but I want her to be happy and not stressed out. I was even thinking of putting her down just because I would know that she would have know more suffering. Please give me ideas, I am heartbroken about any decision I have to make about my little kitty cat.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sure many people will post with ideas. I can only say that putting down an healthy cat is not the thing to do. I know how stressful all this must be for you. Could you ask family or friends or other people you trust to be good cat parents to see if they would be interested or if they know someone who is?

She may be meowing a lot because the day away from you was traumatic. She may be afraid of something like that happening again. Just give her lots of love and reassurances.

It sounds to me like your daughter is the big stumbling block. Even with your allergies, you have been willing to care for this little one. Any reason why your daughter doesn't like cats?

Good luck, please keep us updated

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you have found yourself in this situation

Firstly one night away wasn't enough time for Cat to get settled and acclimatised to a new home - it would have been very strange and unsettling for her.
As mentioned by Bonnie, Cat would have been very stressed by all this change and was obviously crying for some attention. Its not a good idea to keep swopping and changing.

If these people at the farm are willing to have her - can you speak with them again ? If you do take her there, you must leave her to settle into her new life, which in time she will

Let us know how things go !

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat meows lots and lots for around 2-3 days whenever she comes back after having been in a (very nice) cattery when I've had to go on holiday.

I think she's probably a bit scared and puzzled and just wants to make sure you're there and/or get attention and play to reassure herself.

How long has it been since her short trip to the farm?

I would definately not put her down though, she's a healthy cat and sounds like a very nice kitty as well. You seem quite attached to her and I'm sure you can get over this little hump in your relationship with a bit of time and work.

eta. I just saw you said you were still intending to give her up. I have no experience in rehoming cats but she will adjust to a new home so there's absolutely no need to put her down for that reason. It might take her a little while depending on her personality but she will adjust to another place and can live happily for many years.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a phone number for the Humane Society of Canada branch in Swift Current: 306-773-1806. Why don't you give them a call and see if they can help?

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

My cat meows lots and lots for around 2-3 days whenever she comes back after having been in a (very nice) cattery when I've had to go on holiday.

I think she's probably a bit scared and puzzled and just wants to make sure you're there and/or get attention and play to reassure herself.

How long has it been since her short trip to the farm?

I would definately not put her down though, she's a healthy cat and sounds like a very nice kitty as well. You seem quite attached to her and I'm sure you can get over this little hump in your relationship with a bit of time and work.

eta. I just saw you said you were still intending to give her up. I have no experience in rehoming cats but she will adjust to a new home so there's absolutely no need to put her down for that reason. It might take her a little while depending on her personality but she will adjust to another place and can live happily for many years.
I am going to agree with this post, and all of the other ones. She is still very young and can live a long happy life. Just so you feel re-assured with giving her to a new home I'm going to tell you a little story about my PHX....

PHX is a siamese mix male. He was in a animal shelter (for I don't know how long) and then a lady named X came and adopted him... well then after having him a month she decided that 8 cats was too many... and put him on craigslist. I thought for sure he would be traumatized from going from location to location. And plus I have no idea what his story is before the animal shelter. I thought it would take forever for him to actually feel comfortable in my home with me and my boyfriend. But seriously, he was comfortable in my home the instant we came in from the car... He did cry alot for the first week. But we worked on that, and to this day he's a little snuggle bug. We absolutely love him. And if someone would have put him down when he was younger- as to not make his life miserable.... I would have never met PHX!

BTW: There are allergy meds so that way you don't have any problems

But whatever you decide, should be up to you! Good luck, and keep us informed!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone has given great advice, just make sure she is spayed before she leaves your home! Especially if she is going to live outside/on a farm!!

Try putting an ad in the paper or on Craigslist.com or petfinder.com to find her a good home. If she is inside she may not want to go outside to live.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm stuck on the fact that your daughter hates the kitty. That just doesn't sound like any kid I ever heard of, and I have to wonder... could it be that your daughter has somehow gotten the idea that she's in some kind of competition with Cat for your time or affection? Just a thought... but if you think that could be any part of it, you might try to straighten that out with her before you give up a kitty you love so, and worked so hard to save.

Gosh, I hope you can keep her!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm stuck on the fact that your daughter hates the kitty. That just doesn't sound like any kid I ever heard of, and I have to wonder... could it be that your daughter has somehow gotten the idea that she's in some kind of competition with Cat for your time or affection? Just a thought... but if you think that could be any part of it, you might try to straighten that out with her before you give up a kitty you love so, and worked so hard to save.

Gosh, I hope you can keep her!
I can't add much to the advice others have given but I'm with CarolPetunia in that that bit in your original post about your daughter hating the cat really stood out to me. Is there any particular reason for this? Has something happened? Did the cat hurt her or something? Does she have a phobia? I can understand people not being keen on cats or being indifferent but hate is a strong emotion. It sounds as though that is the main stumbling block here. Have you sat down and had a chat with your daughter about her feelings for the cat and why she doesn't like having her around?

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Re: Allergies

I have cat allergies and I currently live with two lovely felines. I vaccume regularly and I use these "anti Allergy wipes" that help reduce the allergens they give off. Also febreeze just came out with an allergen reducing spray that I've found helpful. I don't like taking daily medication, but I will take some claritin in the spring when it gets really polleny to help me dry out.

I'm sorry your daughter doesn't like the cat, can she just keep her door closed and avoid him? I have met some people that really hate cats but some of them have managed to coexist in the same home with them. I really think unless there is some kind fear or violence related issue they should be able to work out their differences. I'm sorry that your daughter doesn't like him, but it wont kill her to have a critter she doesn't like around, especially if you take responsibility for all cat related chores.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michild

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey it's me. Just an update about my situation. I really struggled to let go of my Cat. I loved her so much and I do very much miss her. However, I had to let her go to the farm. I just don't think it's fair that she lives in a small apartment with a child who kicks her when I'm not looking. My cat bit me on my face and drew blood. It wasn't provoked I don't now why she did that but I came to the conclusion she is bored and wanted my attention. Unfortunatly, If she bit my daughter, I don't think the cat would 've lived to see the next day. My daughter would of killed it. So, I phoned the vet to see if I can bring my cat to be put down and they said bring her in right away, I thought that would be the humane thing to do but I cried and cried about it. I asked the Lord what to do and he gave me peace in my heart about taking it to the farm. I visited her two days later and she ran to me and hugged me but her home is at the farm, she became friends with the farm dog weird eh! But I believe she is happy there. It's summer and she is enjoying being free.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you found a good home for her. I hope your daughter overcomes her hatred of animals, too. The cat was probably feeling anxious and afraid because of that. It can make them lash out at people they love. Thanks for letting us know how it went for you

tru87

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by michild

Hey it's me. Just an update about my situation. I really struggled to let go of my Cat. I loved her so much and I do very much miss her. However, I had to let her go to the farm. I just don't think it's fair that she lives in a small apartment with a child who kicks her when I'm not looking. My cat bit me on my face and drew blood. It wasn't provoked I don't now why she did that but I came to the conclusion she is bored and wanted my attention. Unfortunatly, If she bit my daughter, I don't think the cat would 've lived to see the next day. My daughter would of killed it. So, I phoned the vet to see if I can bring my cat to be put down and they said bring her in right away, I thought that would be the humane thing to do but I cried and cried about it. I asked the Lord what to do and he gave me peace in my heart about taking it to the farm. I visited her two days later and she ran to me and hugged me but her home is at the farm, she became friends with the farm dog weird eh! But I believe she is happy there. It's summer and she is enjoying being free.
I'm glad it worked out.