Moms! What do you want for Mother's Day?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a given you want to be with your children so I did not include that. I have been getting Mom presents for many years but this is the first chance I have ever had to find out what Moms really want. I will abide by the outcome of this poll!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're trying to figure this out right now. I don't know... I might send her my old computer but she already knew she was getting that, so I need to think of something else.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't planned anything yet (I kinda forgot...), but my mum's getting a grandchild and a flight to the US (which we're paying for) this year when the baby is born, so hopefully that's enough...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I want is to be ACKNOWLEDGED.

My daughter was born on May 12th, the day before Mother's Day. All her life, she has IGNORED Mother's Day, because it's all about HER, and many times her birthday has fallen on Mother's Day.

I just get depressed, usually, because I am a single parent, and to have almost never gotten a card or anything...well...it gets pretty sad after more than 20 years of getting nothing.

After all, if it weren't for me being her MOTHER, she wouldn't even have a birthday. Right?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG you're kidding?!?!?! It's MOTHERS DAY!!!! It's the day you're supposed to make your mum feel special and thank her for everything you've done!

When I was living back home, I always made mum breakfast in bed, got the papers for her, and cook dinner and do any housework that needed doing. We'd generally go to one of my grandma's and have a lunch with them with all the family who could make it. It's a little harder now I'm overseas, but I still try to do something special (this year it's the trip over to see us), and will always call her and have a good, long chat.

Betsy, maybe you can suggest to her that you put Mothers Day back a week so she can have her birthday, and you can still celebrate Mothers Day with her NEXT Sunday? Maybe that will make her get off her butt and do something nice?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

OMG you're kidding?!?!?! It's MOTHERS DAY!!!! It's the day you're supposed to make your mum feel special and thank her for everything you've done!

When I was living back home, I always made mum breakfast in bed, got the papers for her, and cook dinner and do any housework that needed doing. We'd generally go to one of my grandma's and have a lunch with them with all the family who could make it. It's a little harder now I'm overseas, but I still try to do something special (this year it's the trip over to see us), and will always call her and have a good, long chat.

Betsy, maybe you can suggest to her that you put Mothers Day back a week so she can have her birthday, and you can still celebrate Mothers Day with her NEXT Sunday? Maybe that will make her get off her butt and do something nice?
No, I'm not kidding.

Bottom line is this: Somehow I seem to have raised a VERY selfish child. Considering the fact that I am a volunteer fundraiser and do things for others all the time, I have no clue how she got to be so selfish and manipulative. I guess that's just her intrinsic makeup.

Granted, as she gets older she gets wiser, but at this point even getting a card from her doesn't erase the years of feeling unappreciated. But I guess that's MY problem, not hers.

Here's an example: When she was 17, she had a job at a supermarket. At this point, she was no longer living with me. (Long story.)

She called me after 8 p.m. on a snowy night to tell me that she had a Valentine's Day present for me, but that I had to come and pick her up at work so she could give it to me so it wouldn't die. (I think it was a plant.)

I was exhausted, already in PJs in bed at the time, and told her thank you for the gift, but that I just couldn't go out again at this point, that I was already in bed and getting ready to go to sleep.

To which she responded by getting really angry at me, saying, "So how am I supposed to get to my friend's house now?! I don't have enough money for a cab because I bought your stupid present!"

Can you guess how I responded to that?
Yup, selfish and manipulative. I love her to death, but I don't encourage that kind of behavior in the least. Don't try to make me feel guilty because you bought me something because you want me to give you a ride somewhere with no advance notice - that just doesn't cut it in my world.

So what I would like is for her to just acknowledge me on Mother's Day with no ulterior motive, and without the need for me to ASK for it.

Is that to much to (not) ask?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a mother, but this year for my mom, me and my 2 brothers are getting her a gift certificate for an hour long full body massage
She loooovess massages and hasn't had one in the past few years, so I'm pretty excited to give this to her, she deserves the pampering!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We decided to try something new and get her a spa package... I've always thought about it but I can't imagine her liking it. But she's been talking about this spa thing somebody at work won and sounds like maybe she is curious.

I hope she likes it! We're staying away from the weird stuff that I can't even pronounce.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just booked a spa appointment for mom and I to get body wraps. She's never been to a spa before, so this seemed like a good way for her to test the waters. (She's had back trouble lately, so I thought a massage might not be the best idea...it could make her pretty sore.)

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want a day of...rest and sleep!! I know my kids will want to take me somewhere, but I would rather stay at home and watch movies or something. I am a cheap date.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what I'm going to get Mom this year. Her birthday was last thursday and I got her a really nice gift certificate to her favorite hair place, she was thrilled with that.

She likes that bath and body works stuff and there is a store nearby. I thought about a gift certificate for that. Dad treated on dinner for her birthday so I'll pick up the tab for Mother's Day.

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
i found a blender that i really like it has a spout on the side so you dont have to take it off the base and pour it ( i always make a mess lol) you just push the button and it comes out and into your class. it will be awesome for smoothies this summer!!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we will be doing a cook out.
DH has to work(of course
) but other than that dont think we will be doing alot.....

And I voted fine dining because thats all I want, I guess...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So is it bad that I can't make it home for Mother's Day? My mom might actually be working anyway, I'm not sure.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

So is it bad that I can't make it home for Mother's Day? My mom might actually be working anyway, I'm not sure.
I won't be home for mothers day either. I live 2 hrs away from my mom, and I'll be home the weekend of June 1st for my brothers graduation. With gas being $3.05, I can't afford to drive home
She understands

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an avid gardener, and my kids always get me something for my garden or a hanging basket. I'd be very disappointed with anything else!