DIY Scratching Posts?

sweetrain1215

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure where to ask this question...I use Soft Paws nail tips on my indoor cat, but sometimes they fall off before I realize it and my couch ends up frayed.

I'm wondering how to make a scratching post of some sort that my cat will WANT to use instead of the couch..and I'd be doing this on a very,very TIGHT budget. I read something somewhere about catnip embedded cardboard...I've no clue how to go about doing this. I'm also about to bring another kitty into our home and from what I can tell she's always been an outdoors cat...and she's shy so it'll be a while before she'll allow me to cap her nails...so I really need something to save the furniture. We bought this couch and loveseat only a few months ago and it's already got some rough looking areas...eep!

So any help would be great. BTW I have three dogs also..so whatever I create for the cats would need to withstand the dogs. Although some smaller things could be put into the "cat room".

Thank you so much!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've made one similar to that in the link. If you really want to save money on something like that it's best if you already have scrap wood around, a wooden post, plywood, etc. The rope can be bought cheaply from a hardware store.

The cardboard ones you'd buy at walmart, kmart, or any pet store. Larger ones are around $7-9, if you want to be cheap you can flip the cardboard part over and get twice the use out of it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pick up some wood scraps from your local lumber yard (usually free!) and get some Sisil at home depot,lowes, wal-mart, (pretty much anywhere). Tightly wrap it around the wood scrap and secure it in place with a nail gun
Colin makes ALL of our scratching posts with leftovers from the projects he's always working on! pm me and remind me to send you some pictures!!! i'll try to snap some tomorrow to give you an idea. They're JUST as good as the pricy store-bought ones and they last much much longer! Also- you can go to your local carpet store and ask for scraps (usually free too!) and use that on the wood instead if your cats prefer that type of material. I will also send you a picture of the lastest post Colin made- it has a base to it so you can see an idea of how to make it. They're SOOOOOOOOOOoo easy and only take a few minutes to make

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've made one similar to that in the link. If you really want to save money on something like that it's best if you already have scrap wood around, a wooden post, plywood, etc. The rope can be bought cheaply from a hardware store.

The cardboard ones you'd buy at walmart, kmart, or any pet store. Larger ones are around $7-9, if you want to be cheap you can flip the cardboard part over and get twice the use out of it.

My cats love those cheap corrugated cardboard scratchers that just lay on the floor. They also have a "professional" scratching post but they seem to prefer the cheaper ones. Who can argue with that?
My wallet certainly doesn't.