Please Help!!!!

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little Twinkie is in the hospital right now. Yesterday I took her to the vet because on Sunday she didn't look herself, didn't eat, drink, or use her litter box. I watched her closely all day and decided she needed to see the vet. She literally would sit in the same place you put her entire day and mostly sleep in that spot. The boys were really worried about her they would come up to check on her but Tweetie was pretty mean to Twinkie literally jumping on her so I had to reprimand Tweetie a few times. When I brought her to clinic they said she had 105 temp which is very high for any cat let alone a kitten. The vet gave her shot of antibiotics and fluids and sent her home with more antibiotics. After few hours she seemed a lot better, she had dinner, some water and even played with the rest of the kittens. I thought she was getting better. Today she was not interested in food again and did the same thing she did on Sunday. The vet told me she was supposed to be better in 24 hours and she seemed worse today. So my husband took Twinkie to a totally different vet clinic recommended by a friend of mine. The vet called to let me know that Twinkie needs to be hospitalize she is running 106.2 temp this time. He is going to run all kinds of tests and figure out what is going on with my little Twinkie. I am so mad that the other vet didn't even do any tests. When I asked him if he was going to take her blood test he responded "letâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not spend the money on it right now and treat the symptoms". I didn't like his response so this is why I have taken Twinkie to a different vet. Right now I have no idea what's going on so I am praying that little Twinkie gets through this and I will have her for a long time. She is the sweetest little kitten ever and my little princes. Does anyone have any ideas what this could possibly be? The vet she is at right now doesn't say much other than he needs to run tests but he thinks it might be a virus. Any ideas? Please send Twinkie good vibes she really deserves a long and healthy life. I love that little thing more than anything and cannot imagine not having her bother me at night.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where did you get her from? How old? How many shots has she had? It could be anything, fevers mean infection of some kind. If she has not had shots, then it could be just about anything wrong.

Hope she pulls out of it and is ok soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Where did you get her from? How old? How many shots has she had? It could be anything, fevers mean infection of some kind. If she has not had shots, then it could be just about anything wrong.

Hope she pulls out of it and is ok soon.
I rescued Twinkie from a horse farm that missed placed her. No one knew she was on her last days of life when I took her home. I have had her for at least 6 months and she is about 8 months old. The first day I got her I took her to the vet and had all the shots done. She was pretty sick when I brought her home but mostly her problems were respiratory and no food/nutrition but it's been gone for at least 5 months. She has been pretty healthy up to this weekend. I also have three other kittens and they seem to be ok.

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Has she been tested for FIP or FELV? And has she been spayed yet?
What is FIP and FELV? Yes she has been spayed in the begning of March.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIP is Feline Infectious Peritonitis. There is NO conclusive test for FIP, only a test to indicate exposure to the corona virus. A lot of cats carry corona w/ no problem. FIP is a mutation of the corona virus, and is a problem, but there's no conclusive test for it.

FeLV is Feline Leukemia.

I wouldn't jump to any scary conclusions just yet. Young cats often catch a bug and fight it off. Lets hope that's the case with Twinkie. Are they giving her fluids? That should help her high temp.

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

FIP is Feline Infectious Peritonitis. There is NO conclusive test for FIP, only a test to indicate exposure to the corona virus. A lot of cats carry corona w/ no problem. FIP is a mutation of the corona virus, and is a problem, but there's no conclusive test for it.

FeLV is Feline Leukemia.

I wouldn't jump to any scary conclusions just yet. Young cats often catch a bug and fight it off. Lets hope that's the case with Twinkie. Are they giving her fluids? That should help her high temp.
I do know that she was tested for Feline Leukemia and so where the rest of the kittens in the house. They all tested negative. Yesterday the vet gave her fluids and it did help but he didn't give her anything to drop her temp. This new vet has her at the clinic right now. I already called him once to see if he knows anything or has any idea. I guess I am calling early and he is not ready to tell me his findings. I am very worried about Twinkie she is my angel and I hate seeing her this sick. She is the one with a lot of white in my pictures on the bottom. She is 8 months old and still as little as you see her on the picture. I just want her to pull through this. I have never had cats before I got Gizmo so I am not really sure what this can be. I have changed Vets already for my cats and hope that this vet finds something that he can treat. I am still upset at the other vet for not taking test yesterday.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sending lots of for Twinkie. I know you're worried, but the vet's is probably the best place for her right now. Please keep us updated.

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'm sending lots of for Twinkie. I know you're worried, but the vet's is probably the best place for her right now. Please keep us updated.
Thank you so much for the post and vibes. I am very worried and I get like this about all my animals but little Twinkie is my special child. I fed her at the barn once a day every other day when I visited my horses until one day she looked like she could no longer move and all she did is slept. She has always met me at the barn and waited for her food. We didn't want another cat but she just didn't look like she was going to make it through this winter. My husband agreed to take her home and she literally was half dead. It took some time to get this girl back on her feet she couldn't even meow because she had no strength. I really need this little one to stay with us and help her through this. She has been the sweetest kitten of all 4 and has the personality of a princess. I just can't wait for the vet to call me back it seems like a long time since I tried calling him.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just sending some get well soon Vibes for Twinkle and some
for you.

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I have heard from the vet. The blood test won't be back until tomorrow morning but the x-ray showed nothing strange. Twinkie is still not eating but they are keeping her on fluids, antibiotics, and some meds to reduce her fewer.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Twinkie; thank goodness you took her to a different vet. I understand what you mean about her being your 'special child'. I know you're supposed to love them all the same, but once in a while you have one that just touches a special place in your heart. I'm sending loads of (((((healing vibes))))) to your sweet girl. Hopefully the vet will pin-point the problem soon, and she'll be back home where she belongs.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers out to you and your precious little Twinkie. I hope that she is only suffering from an upper respitory infection and not something more serious. Please let us know what the vet says and let us know how your little girl is doing!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gizzie

Thank you so much for the post and vibes. I am very worried and I get like this about all my animals but little Twinkie is my special child. I fed her at the barn once a day every other day when I visited my horses until one day she looked like she could no longer move and all she did is slept. She has always met me at the barn and waited for her food. We didn't want another cat but she just didn't look like she was going to make it through this winter. My husband agreed to take her home and she literally was half dead. It took some time to get this girl back on her feet she couldn't even meow because she had no strength. I really need this little one to stay with us and help her through this. She has been the sweetest kitten of all 4 and has the personality of a princess. I just can't wait for the vet to call me back it seems like a long time since I tried calling him.
Believe me, I understand. My pets are my babies, and I'm always overanxious about them. I'm just hoping that Twinkie has some sort of "run-of-the-mill" viral/bacterial infection, and will be okay in a few days.

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Believe me, I understand. My pets are my babies, and I'm always overanxious about them. I'm just hoping that Twinkie has some sort of "run-of-the-mill" viral/bacterial infection, and will be okay in a few days.
I was hoping to take her home today but it doesn't look like it will happen. The vet said Twinkie tried eating but it was very little so they don't even consider that an improvement. They said she is not moving around just laying in one spot. They will get her temp later today before 5:00pm so I am crossing my fingers that her temp went down. She is a very nervous kitten so I can see her sit in one place and not do much in a place she doesn't know. What I don't understand how could she have gotten anything when she and other kittens are house cats? I never took her outside, always try not to touch other cats at the barn and if I do always wash my hands. What could I have done to get her sick? The other 3 kittens seem fine which I hope will stay that way.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gizzie

I was hoping to take her home today but it doesn't look like it will happen. The vet said Twinkie tried eating but it was very little so they don't even consider that an improvement. They said she is not moving around just laying in one spot. They will get her temp later today before 5:00pm so I am crossing my fingers that her temp went down. She is a very nervous kitten so I can see her sit in one place and not do much in a place she doesn't know. What I don't understand how could she have gotten anything when she and other kittens are house cats? I never took her outside, always try not to touch other cats at the barn and if I do always wash my hands. What could I have done to get her sick? The other 3 kittens seem fine which I hope will stay that way.
You really can't blame yourself. I doubt that you did anything wrong. There are alot of viruses and diseases that cats can pass to kittens. Also, some kittens are more suseptible to germs, etc. I am praying that it is not a serious disease, but something that can be cured with anti-biotics. You can only wait to see what the vet tells you - and please do not blame yourself! What you have done is to get Twinkie to the vets as soon as you realized something was wrong. And you trusted your gut instinct to switch vets when you didn't like the first vet. Please keep us posted. We all care about your special little girl!

houmedgal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Best of luck to little Twinkie!!! Milo, Lucy, and I send good healty vibes...please keep us updated and remember we're all thinking about you guys!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HOUMedGal

Best of luck to little Twinkie!!! Milo, Lucy, and I send good healty vibes...please keep us updated and remember we're all thinking about you guys!!!
prayers heading your way from down in Texas, too! sounds like this 2nd vet is a good one