putting a cat on meds for behavior...

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well I'm almost at the point with nuit of putting her on something. the bach's remedy seemed like only a temporary fix (I had to give it to her many times a day and now I'm working). we moved to a smaller place but after her surgery we thought she felt better but I guess she was just acting like that do to the healing process. I've asked a few places and have been asking around about finding her a home. oh for those of you who don't know...she's horrible with the other cats(constant hissing & growling with all of them now). i really don't want to put her on meds to alter her behavior but that seems like the last resort I'm getting too. she has been with us for 6 months now and hasn't not really improved with the other cats....briefly on occasion and I always get so excited thinking she's doing so well but then it goes away.Any thoughts? suggestions? i know your all probably sick of hearing about Nuit & her probs....

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, we are not sick of hearing about Nuit. If we were sick of hearing about cats, do you really think we'd all be hanging out on a cat forum all day? Ya right. LOL.

Personally, I don't believe in putting cats on meds unless absolutely necessary. I myself, don't really even take meds unless absolutely necessary. LOL. But I do understand there are certain circumstances that you just have to do it. I don't have much experience in this department. But, I know there are people on here that have more knowledge then me. I just wanted to wish you good luck, and keep us updated

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a thread for you. Been there, done that. It sucks.

I don't like the idea of meds, but honestly, my Ophelia has never been this happy, calm, relaxed. Not to mention she quit attacking me & the other cats. She is on Buspar, an anti-anxiety medication. It is working well for her.

I'm not completely familiar with Nuit's problems. But, I suggest talking to your vet. You can try things such as Buspar, Amitriptyline(anti-depressant), Prozac, etc. I assume you've tried Feliway?

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think that she has her own personality..she demands what she wants! she is a leader and doesnt want to share her space with someone else. whats wrong with having personality? do you want a zombie-cat? for example, im an emotional person, sometimes too much
i can kick someone's "bumper" if i have to..so that means that i have to take some medicines to be phlegmatic, numb, unnaturaly friendly? hell no. the same is about cats and other animals. find her a new home, where she will be an only-one cat, make HER happy. now, i guess, you think about ur feelings more than hers
good luck and keep us informed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AZ<3Me

i think that she has her own personality..she demands what she wants! she is a leader and doesnt want to share her space with someone else. whats wrong with having personality? do you want a zombie-cat? for example, im an emotional person, sometimes too much
i can kick someone's "bumper" if i have to..so that means that i have to take some medicines to be phlegmatic, numb, unnaturaly friendly? hell no. the same is about cats and other animals. find her a new home, where she will be an only-one cat, make HER happy. now, i guess, you think about ur feelings more than hers
good luck and keep us informed!
her feeling more then mine? ouch! nope I've tried many things feliway, herbal things. I have looked for a home over the months there are just so many cats in need of a home .the thing is no one seems interested in her being that she needs to be the only cat and on a special diet and 7 yrs old, let alone it took her about a month before I could even pet her cuz she would attack. I Don't want her numb but she's down right nasty sometimes (more often then not), I've had to shield her off with a broom! I've had a couple of people mention the meds idea and it's not something i would have ever thought of doing.She's just angry at everyone and thing.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a personal choice. I don't have experience with the other drugs mentioned, but I will say that Prozac doesn't make the cat a zombie, nor numb, nor overly friendly. But it does work, from my experience. The effect is very subtle.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

It's a personal choice. I don't have experience with the other drugs mentioned, but I will say that Prozac doesn't make the cat a zombie, nor numb, nor overly friendly. But it does work, from my experience. The effect is very subtle.
I have to go to the vet tomorrow to change her food..again tomorrow so i will talk to the vet tomorrow. I did read that thread that you were involoved in that's mentioned above and prozac doesn't sounds like a bad idea....and by the way overly friendly would be ok
! not likely though!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladycat

I have to go to the vet tomorrow to change her food..again tomorrow so i will talk to the vet tomorrow. I did read that thread that you were involoved in that's mentioned above and prozac doesn't sounds like a bad idea....and by the way overly friendly would be ok
! not likely though!
Well, in an a case like Nuit, you will hopefully notice an upswing in the friendliness department.
I have heard that Buspar can make them so friendly that it could border on annoying, like a drastic change. Maybe Natalie can comment on whether or not that's true. So I guess I was comparing to Buspar when I mentioned the friendliness thing...it's all relative.

It's not very expensive, either. $12 a month for me.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sometimes she does ok till she realizes "DING" "there are other cats around or they are in visual with her. I'd take her as overly friendly...or even just the same minus the cat issues (but then she might be happy if she got over that!)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ophelia never got to the annoying part. I don't think she will. I orignally went with the mid-range dose for her, 1 pill 2x a day. It didn't work. She's now up to 1 1/2 pills 2x a day. She loves to be petted, I can brush her, she gets along OK with the female cats now. Dorky Fish wasn't so happy at first because she'd follow him everywhere, but after the initial 2 weeks of meds, she's mellowed in terms of need-i-ness.

I would almost consider Buspar before Prozac. It costs me $20 for 3 weeks worth, I believe. But, it doesn't seem as "extreme" as Prozac.

Ophelia isn't drowsy, she basically has no negative side effects from the Buspar, only behavioral changes for the better!

She used to sleep next to me at night. If I moved, she hissed/bit me. She still sleeps right next to me, only now I can move with no problems. I actually put a cat bed next to my pillow for her because I would always wake up with my arm dead, but she was that way before the Buspar.

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladycat

her feeling more then mine? ouch! nope I've tried many things feliway, herbal things. I have looked for a home over the months there are just so many cats in need of a home .the thing is no one seems interested in her being that she needs to be the only cat and on a special diet and 7 yrs old, let alone it took her about a month before I could even pet her cuz she would attack. I Don't want her numb but she's down right nasty sometimes (more often then not), I've had to shield her off with a broom! I've had a couple of people mention the meds idea and it's not something i would have ever thought of doing.She's just angry at everyone and thing.
..thats sad..
what about zoopsychologist? maybe u should see one?

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ladycat~

Meds suck, no doubt. But when it comes down to the wire and a pet parent is thinking terrible thoughts, meds can often save everyone's sanity.

Talk to your vet. Many meds have already been listed. Fluoxetine (generic prozac) has been a godsend for many, many pet families. Quite affordable, since it's generic--maybe 10$/month? Less actually, if one is cutting the dose in half (usually 2.5 mg once a day is sufficient!) And no 'drugged' effect (again, you can tweak the dosage if you find a pet is sleepier/less responsive than you would like).

The success rate with Fluoxetine has been great in that the pet can successfully wean off the meds without returning to undesirable behavior (whereas with other meds, vets note a relapse).

Many of these meds are bitter as all hell and just administering can be a pita. You can often get a flavored formulated version but I prefer the pills, despite bitterness. You can hide them in Pill Pockets and no stress.

There are some good links on cat/fluoxetine/prozac -- I would search but I am very short on time tonight.

Resorting to meds is not the worst thing in the world. It's a hard decision, but perhaps with a try. I have seen situations go from bleak to total harmony in less than a week.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Throw in my two cents: my vet recommended Paxil as being good in cats. Less side effects and more effective. You might add that to the list of meds to ask the vet about. Our cat has a different behavioral problem, not aggression, but both are forms of anxiety disorders.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

Throw in my two cents: my vet recommended Paxil as being good in cats. Less side effects and more effective. You might add that to the list of meds to ask the vet about.
My vet mentioned Paxil and said something about the cost being significantly higher. Is that your experience? If it's effective, the cost may be irrelevant, but I'm curious.

Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

Our cat has a different behavioral problem, not aggression, but both are forms of anxiety disorders.
Exactly what my vet told me too
...aggression is an "extension" of anxiety.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
writing all these names down, tomorrow I'll make a trip up there. i'll let you all know what she says.