Recent disturbing problem!!! please Help!!!!

charvel350

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First let me start by saying this is my first cat ever. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not usually a cat person but I am enjoying him. He is an inside male Siamese cat not quite 2 years old. Well yesterday everything was going normal and he was meowing for food so I put some food in his dish and as I was setting the dish down I noticed his tail was very fluffed. As soon as the dish hit the floor he totally flipped. He started hissing growling and rearing his back at me. So I went and did a project for about an hour and when I walked out of the other room, he was at the end of the hall way looking at me. I started walking towards him and he ran under the coffee table and started basically screaming at me. He was so upset while he was screaming at me that he peed on the floor. It was very loud and disturbing. I went to a friendâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s house for a few hours and when I came back, everything was normal. Through the night every thing was normal and when I went to give him food this morning, I noticed his tail was fluffed again. He started following my every step staying right on my heals, so I went out to my truck and went to work, completely ignoring him trying to avoid similar events, and here I am. For some reason I believe it has something to do with the container that his food is in because that is what he was staring at when I was getting his food this morning.

If anyone can give me some suggestions and reasons why this would happen, I would greatly appreciate it.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome.

My first thought...could he have seen his reflection in the container? Maybe he thought he saw another cat? It sounds far fetched, but I've seen it happen.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be behavioral, as you suspect. But if this is a sudden change, and because he peed outside of the litter box, you might want to take him to the vet for a checkup. This could be due to illness.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd try to narrow down what he's reacting to. If it is the food container could you just put his food in something else? There are some battles not worth fighting! A trip to the vet is never a bad idea, but it does sound like fear to me. Still, it never hurts to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charvel350

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
its funny you say illness, because about 3 or 4 weeks ago he had a seizure and when i took him to the vet, they couldnt really figure out why. he had never had one before or since. they say maybe he got into a chemical or somthing. but i dont have anything he could get into.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry your having trouble with your kitty. What food are you feeding him? If this is your first cat, are you aware of the recall on cat food?

charvel350

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thats the first thing i thought of but i checked the food out and its not on the recall list, unless it hasnt been added but i think its ok.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he is looking at his food bowl in that way, it just might be the food. These days you cannot be too careful, some companies don't put ALL the ingredients on the label, (see recall thread), you might want to switch to a premium food from a specialty pet food store.

And you vet thought it was a chemical?!?

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm. A seizure and then this aggressive/erratic behavior... maybe they're connected and maybe they're not. I would just keep an eye on the cat to see if it continues, and if it's bad go to a vet again to see what might be going on.

He could just be very protective of his food and doesn't want you around it. Or, if you haven't had him very long, strange behavior isn't unusual while the cat is getting adjusted to his new home and owners. He may not feel totally relaxed and safe in the home yet.

It's a generalization, but Siamese cats can be loud and fussy sometimes.

charvel350

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i would say hes not to protective of his food. i got him when he was a kitten and he has lived with me the whole time. he has never done anything like this and thats why i think its strange for this to happen all of a sudden. im not sure if its the food, i may try another better brand. i noticed that when i grab the container that i keep the food in is when his tail fluffs up and he never used to do that, but last night when he freaked out, the only difference is that i tried to walk towards him to calm him down. his tantrum last night lasted about an hour and a half. its a dry food and i keep it in a tupperware container.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charvel350

well i would say hes not to protective of his food. i got him when he was a kitten and he has lived with me the whole time. he has never done anything like this and thats why i think its strange for this to happen all of a sudden. im not sure if its the food, i may try another better brand. i noticed that when i grab the container that i keep the food in is when his tail fluffs up and he never used to do that, but last night when he freaked out, the only difference is that i tried to walk towards him to calm him down. his tantrum last night lasted about an hour and a half. its a dry food and i keep it in a tupperware container.
He is telling you something about the food, I think. California Natural or Innova dry is good food. My cats and dog eat only that now, I can't bring myself (after reading all the threads on recalls) to buy food at the supermarket, or any of the major Pet stores.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think a cat would act aggressively just because he dislikes a particular type of food. I've never heard of that. Usually they just refuse to eat it and walk away.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What smells different recently - your hands (lotion, soap, etc.)? The dish (different material), or the food?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you always feed him at exactly the same time? Is there something else that happens at this time that could be the culprit? You could try feeding him at a different time and see what his reactions are.

I don't think this is it but a friend's cat had a stroke and he acted similar. However, it's very important to say that the episode only happened once and the consequences lasted for several months. He's much better now btw. I only mention this because their vet also thought he may have gotten into a chemical when it first happened. Sometimes vets can only make their best guess until they have more info which is a good reason to go back if this continues or even to consult a second vet.

charvel350

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I returned home from work yesterday and all was normal. He didn’t hiss, scream, growl, nothing. I fed him, he ate, and all was fine. Then all of a sudden I was standing in my kitchen and the hisses and the low long meows started. And I noticed he was following me every where I went. Example … I was in my living room so he crawled under the coffee table and just stared at me. If I moved at all he would watch, hiss, and growl. So I went to the master bedroom. He came around the corner very slowly hissing and growling, crawling his way towards my feet, sniffed me then crawled under the bed and continued to growl and hiss. So I go back to the living room and guess what. He was under the coffee table in no time. I decided to confront him. Very slowly I got on my knees and went towards him and put my hand out. The whole time he was hissing and meowing. When I would get close to him he would role over into submission. And I could touch him. The whole night this continued. It went from about 7:00 to 11:30 then he returned to normal. Not another hiss was heard from him to this point. I expect that when I get home today I will experience similar events.

Any more ideas as to what may be causing this sudden change in my crazy cat?

[EDIT]

i also forgot to mention, my girlfriend came over to see how he would react to her. at first he was normal, then he started doing it to her.

about the smells thing. i was asked the same thing and from what i can tell, nothing is different ... i am using the same everything. i havnt had a chance to go to the store to get anything different. same clothse, same shampoo, same detergent, same cologne, same soap. i cant think of anything different.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds more like a health thing to me after your last post. I'd definitely head back to my vet without delay.

ginava

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going back to the seizure. Seizures, just like in humans, can take many different forms, and the cat will act differently afterwards. We have a cat that has them. Has he had a complete workup by the vet? And they don't always see anything, I guess that is epilepsy. I know it is a lot of $$$, but we wanted to make sure it wasn't anything that needed attention.

charvel350

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well they took blood and urine tests and they came back clean. and i havnt seen him have another seizure since that 1st time. it is literally an instant change that i watch happen. its not like i walk away for 10 min come back then hes like this. i watch it go from normal to insane in a split second. wouldnt suprise me if it was schizophrenia. wouldnt that be crazy!!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about (simple thing) you're a guy, he's a guy and he wants to be #1, so is challenging you to a duel? Male cats can be VERY tough about that and one of mine won't have much to do with my husband. Another poster here is dealing with her cat peeing on her husband's clothes every day, so whatever is going on it may have something to do with that (and not you personally except as a man). Cats can be amazingly odd in how they don't 'see' that we're different species either, just react to our sex! Sorry I don't have a magic answer, but maybe you could try being a little less forward with him, ignore him, don't reach under the bed to him and just be very cool for a while. I bet he comes back around (nothing so attractive as being ignored!) in time, but you need to be patient in your ignorings.

charvel350

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Larke,

i would agree with you but he did it to my girlfriend as well. i guess it is possible that he may be trying to show his dominance over the house. i am ignoring him as much as possible, but ist hard when he follows me every where and watches my every move. its strange, the only time he is not acting out at me is when i am sitting in one position and not moving at all, he will watch me then fall asleep, but as soon as i move,... its on!