Anyone still feeding Nutro Natural dry?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm asking because I think part of Jordan not wanting to eat dry food in the morning is that he doesn't like the California Natrual? I was thinking about going back to Nutro Natrual, but someone at the pet store had said something about it not being the best food on the market?

lady jayne grey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may not be the "best" food on the market, (what is?) but my two (fur)kids have loved it for years and done well on it. My neighbor's seven do well on it, and so does my dog (on the dog food, of course!) I'm not going to change because I'm a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we switched back to nutro NCCC senior. the guys stopped eating the NB Ultra and prefer the nutro. we're going to pick up a bag of wellness indoor this weekend and give that a try. if they like it i am going to use it in a 50/50 mix with their nutro. wellness is just too $$$ for me to feed it exclusively.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've gone back to it yes. nutro natural choice indoor care. We are still having some success with the california naturals tho so i am using both.

I have tried every food under the sun but all 3 will eat the nutro.

Is it "the best"? who knows, but to be honest i think "the best" food is the one your animal will eat and does well on, my cats have done well on the nutro i cannot deny that, my breeder also used it so this was a food they were raised on, their parent raised on etc.

I am also thinking the if it ain't broke, don't fix it line of thinking.. i pulled them off nutro because of the wet food recalls and landed myself with a recalled dry! i truly wish in hindsight obviously i had just left well enough alone.

My cats were quite happy to see their old food return and everyone seems much more content with finally some familiarity returning to our feeding routines.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

we switched back to nutro NCCC senior. the guys stopped eating the NB Ultra and prefer the nutro. we're going to pick up a bag of wellness indoor this weekend and give that a try. if they like it i am going to use it in a 50/50 mix with their nutro. wellness is just too $$$ for me to feed it exclusively.
I was also using some wellness indoor.. i have ran out and am not sure whether i will continue for the same reasons, it's so pricey.. less than 3lb bag costs 15$ before tax here!
Whereas the california naturals is priced about the same as nutro.

good luck w/trying the wellness!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I may do is go buy a small bag & give him just that to see if he will eat it. I'm in the process of deciding what to do though because I really would like to put him on one of the perscription high fiber diets (he was just diagnosed with mega colon). I would really like to see if I can get a sample of the dry food from the vets office.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoey is still eating NC kitten ... I am adding Wellness Core to her mix cause she approved and it is an all stage
plus no grain... Core around here for a month would be 25$ , if I pd full price for NC kitten a month would be about 14 $

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With 4 I really can't affort to feed the grain free, but I was willing to pay a little extra for C.N. Right now I'm more focused on Jordan and what he needs. The other cats eat preety much any dry food. I wonder how expensive it would be to put all 4 on the perscription food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

With 4 I really can't affort to feed the grain free, but I was willing to pay a little extra for C.N. Right now I'm more focused on Jordan and what he needs. The other cats eat preety much any dry food. I wonder how expensive it would be to put all 4 on the perscription food?
Someone is welcome to correct me but last I feed a RX ... it was about 25 a month to 55 a month depending on size... Kandie the Kd and Nf were both 1.75 per can and the bag was 20 something for a 3lb

Just an fyi Cal natural has less fiber than NC .... not alot a .5%

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am still feeding Nutro Natural Complete and alternating with Purina One and Purina Natural. I also use Friskies wet. Its impossible to know what cats will eat and having tried quite a few of the premium foods that they wouldn't eat I've stuck with the above with the vet's blessing. No food is best for them if they won't eat it. As a treat they occasionally, about once a week, get a little meow mis or dry iams.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties are loving the Nutro CC weight management. I had them on the CC indoor WM and just switched last week. Benson loves it a little too much that he isn't eating the can food

ETA I just love what it does to their coat. It's so shiney and smooth.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

My cats loved it but are no longer on it! I found better options for my babies!
now if one of them would work for ya

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys love the complete care, but I tried the indoor formula once & the refused to eat it. (I guess the are a little picky, I never used to think they were)

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my older cat off of weight management Nutro becuase he actually got much fatter on that formula (and he was only getting 1/2 a cup a day)!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 of my cats eat nutro natural. My fussy senior OX-well whatever food I find that he eats I will feed him-he doesn't like Nutro Natural though for some reason.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I'm not sure of the exact cost for the rx food you're looking into, they vary a bit. But I used to feed 8 cats Hills c/d, mostly dry - w/one can of wet c/d per day. Total per month was $72. $42 for the 20# bag of dry + $30 for 30 cans of wet. So half that for 4 cats would be $36. But that's including the wet, and the diff. formulas have diff prices.

Originally Posted by sharky

Someone is welcome to correct me but last I feed a RX ... it was about 25 a month to 55 a month depending on size... Kandie the Kd and Nf were both 1.75 per can and the bag was 20 something for a 3lb
Ouch. Yeah, I think it just varies w/ the formulas and the market/area.

oogieone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats love it but I don't want to feed them anything from Nutro anymore...I am scared to feed them anything with grain now! They like the friskies wet...I make sure it has no wheat gluten in the varieties I pick...they don't like the "higher class" wet foods...maybe they aren't stinky enough?