TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Sneezing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sneezing

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
My new cat has been sneezing a good bit today. Is this normal considering that he is in a new environment? Its more like sniffling than sneezing, but is it something I should be concerned about? Since I adopted, I get a complimentary vet visit within a week to make sure my kitten is at peak health. Is this visit something that I should accelerate because of this?
post #2 of 15
Yes. URI(Upper Respiratory Infection) are very common in shelter situations. Very common. Shelters are often over-crowded & kittens are particularly susceptible. A URI is easily treated with a course of anti biotics.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'll make the appointment tomorrow! Would the end of the week be too late to get it treated? Should I tell the vet that its an emergency?
post #4 of 15
Well, I wouldn't put it off until next week. Try to get in by Friday. In my experience, URIs progress very quickly to crusted shut eyes, crutsy noses, wheezing, & in general, a very miserable kitten. The sooner treatment is started, the faster they recooperate!
post #5 of 15
I agree that it would probably be a good idea to get that checked out.

That said, I find cats to tend to sneeze a lot in a new environment. Both of our current cats did when we first got them, and the girl sometimes does it when she starts sniffing around in a new place (like the vet's office). Still, better safe than sorry!
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
My friend has informed me that the URI is derived from a virus and that it is a constant ordeal. Is that only the case with some individuals? Is there any merit to the statement at all?
post #7 of 15
Quote:
That said, I find cats to tend to sneeze a lot in a new environment. Both of our current cats did when we first got them, and the girl sometimes does it when she starts sniffing around in a new place (like the vet's office).
Yes, that was the case with my kitty too. He sneezed quite a bit the week I brought him home from the shelter. Wasn't an URI. He was just getting used to his new surroundings.

ETA: I would advise to keep your home as dust-free as possible, and watch for any yellow/green discharge from your kitty's eyes and/or nose.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
My friend has informed me that the URI is derived from a virus and that it is a constant ordeal. Is that only the case with some individuals? Is there any merit to the statement at all?
Yes, a URI can be viral. But, there are also cases where it can be treated with anti biotics.
post #9 of 15
I can only say that I agree with everyone who says go to the vets sooner, rather than later. Remember that kittens have very little fat/nutrition to fall back on if they get sick. So, a little virus or cold that would not necessarily cause an adult cat to get sick, might make a kitten sick rather quickly. They just aren't able to shrug off an infection yet.
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Just got home from the vet, and with the exception of a small viral infection, everything is great. She informed me of the signs to watch for, and if I start to see any nasal discharge, I'll put him on antibiotics. His temp is normal, and everything else looks good!
post #11 of 15
Glad you got him to a Vet quick. I would have thought that they would have went ahead and started an antibiotic. Watch him closely. You will want to nip that in the bud right away. You don't want it to become chronic. Also, I hope he ran all the tests. Sometimes, shelters don't do this.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Yep, it was a very through exam.

She felt that antibiotics won't help it because she think that its viral and must run its course. She told me to watch for symptoms, and if its determined that its bacterial, its time for antibiotics.
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Today he's been pretty tired, eating normally, not sneezing as much, ect. In addition, he's been yawning a bit. Do you think his tiredness is just tributed to his body fighting off the viral infection?
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
Today he's been pretty tired, eating normally, not sneezing as much, ect. In addition, he's been yawning a bit. Do you think his tiredness is just tributed to his body fighting off the viral infection?
He may just be tired due to the stress of being in a new environment. It takes a little while for a cat to get used to their surroundings. Keep an eye on him and make sure he is not getting worse. Keep us posted.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliachat View Post
He may just be tired due to the stress of being in a new environment. It takes a little while for a cat to get used to their surroundings. Keep an eye on him and make sure he is not getting worse. Keep us posted.
His sneezing is already a good 40% less than it was yesterday. No nasal discharge, no wheezing.

Thanks for all the help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Sneezing