Muscle twitches or Spasms?

gshutterly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,
I have a black and white domestic female who is about 10 years old and lately it seems when she lays down to relax her body kinda spasms a little. It doesn't seem to bother her but it bothers me. Is it just because she's getting older or is it something else?

Please help

Thanks,
Gwen

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she had any blood work done? If not, I would highly recommend it. It's possible she is showing signs of a problems, such as low potassium. Blood work will help determine if there is a medical issue at hand.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

Has she had any blood work done? If not, I would highly recommend it. It's possible she is showing signs of a problems, such as low potassium. Blood work will help determine if there is a medical issue at hand.
.... when was the last vet check

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reading your post, it never crossed my mind that there might be something wrong, but I guess since it's a new behavior, there could be something wrong...

From my experience, most pets I've seen in my life do the twitch/spasm thing once they get into the deep part of their sleep. I even see people doing it. I know I do when I'm on the brink of falling asleep. My gf just laughs at me! Hopefully it's nothing serious.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

Reading your post, it never crossed my mind that there might be something wrong, but I guess since it's a new behavior, there could be something wrong...

From my experience, most pets I've seen in my life do the twitch/spasm thing once they get into the deep part of their sleep. I even see people doing it. I know I do when I'm on the brink of falling asleep. My gf just laughs at me! Hopefully it's nothing serious.
It may be nothing, but since it seems to be a new behavior, it's important to seek out the source. Odo gets back twitches occasionally, but since he's had regular vet appointments and bloodwork, I know that it's just how he is. They aren't new, so I'm not concerned about them.

At the same time, I've seen other cats, including my Willow, shudder a little when they aren't feeling well. Sometimes it happens when they aren't eating enough or at all. It's better to be safe than sorry and have a check up for any new strange behavior.

oogieone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Fleury twiches alot when she is sleeping...but that is just when she is dreaming...sometimes she even meows a little in her sleep like she is chittering at birds...she has always done that though...so it is normal for her. I hope your little one is okay!

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Slightly off-topic, but interesting!

From what I've read and heard, our bodies go pretty crazy when we sleep. There's a lot of random signals being fired from the brain. That could explain why some people and animals twitch while sleeping.

This has also become one explanation as to why we dream. Our body is sending off all these random signals, and our brain's frontal lobe, which is responsible for our logic and reasoning, tries to make sense of all these signals. So what it does is it tries to string together all these random happenings into a coherent story. I don't think it's been proven, but it does offer an explanation as to why some of our dreams are so non-sensical. It's just our brain trying to make sense of a crazy situation.