Real Life Ghost Stories

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is stemming off of this one:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126214

Due to the interest there, I'm going to post my full ghost story here, anyone else feel free to ask any questions, or post your own stories!!

We've lived in this house for a year and a half. Its a little above 30 years old, so not an old house at all. Last summer (we'd probably lived here about six months) I had been up late and was getting ready for bed. I had just turned out all of the lights, and was in the bathroom doing my before bed business. I started into the bedroom, but then decided I would kick the thermostat down a notch and get something to drink. I walked through the living room and around the corner into the kitchen. I stopped dead in my tracks.

Standing in front of my kitchen sink lit by the moonlight coming in the kitchen window (you can look at the pic in the other thread for reference if you want) was a man! A very tall, older man wearing a hat. He was facing the counter where Madden was standing looking back at him with his tail straight up. Madden was sort of leaning toward the man, like maybe the man was talking to him or something, but didn't act scared of the man at all. I couldn't tell you what my first thoughts were, I was just standing there stark still in total shock.

I guess I finally caught my breath and when I did, the man turned his head and was looking right at me, for a fraction of a second I got a face-on look at him. As soon as he looked at me, it was if lightning flashed in the house. It was a blinding flash of light, which I described as "sparks" when I first woke my husband, but later in the middle of a thunderstorm found it best compared to lightning. Inside that flash, he disappeared. The birds (who are in the dining room adjacent to the kitchen) started squealing and squawking and flying around in their cages.

At the same time, the flash of light scared the snot out of Madden and he proceeded to surf over the dirty dishes, slide across the cabinet, knock over the dog food bowl as he hit the floor and fly past me and into the bedroom. I thought I was going to pass out. I reached over and flipped on the light to find a mostly destroyed kitchen. I was shaking so hard and I could barely breathe, and out of shock I guess, started unplugging all the appliances for fear of fire. After that I woke my husband (who could sleep through a hurricane, literally) and could barely tell him what happened. He said he'd never seen me so terrified in all my life.

I found Madden under the bed, and drug him out. His pupils were as wide as saucers and he was breathing as hard as I was. He would sit on the edge of the bed and stare through the living room towards the kitchen, but wouldn't leave my side. He avoided the kitchen for a couple of days afterwards, and then everything went back to normal.

I've experienced small mishaps before, and I've always been the one to explain everything away. I cannot however explain how this occured. If I had been in bed, I'd swear I was dreaming. I was wide awake though. The birds saw it, Madden saw it, I saw it.

You don't have to believe me, some people don't. I know what happened and I've chosen to share it with people who are interested in that sort of thing. I firmly believe that until you see something like that with your own eyes, you can't fully believe.

As far as I can tell, he means no harm. I do believe I know his name, I don't know why he hangs around though. Until his recent fascination with my kitchen cabinets (other thread) I haven't seen too much of him since then.

Like I said earlier, questions and comments are welcome, and I'd LOVE to hear your real-life ghost stories!!

Looking back now, it sure is a funny scene
but I sure didn't think so that night!!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that's totally amazing!

My cousin, Angel, had an experience like that. She was sitting in her kitchen and this lady walked by the doorway. Her daughter had seen the lady several times. I am pretty sure this is the first time that she saw the lady.

A few years ago my Nana was at mom's house on hospice. One saturday in late January, the Eagles were in the playoffs (which they lost) & my cousin Karen stayed over so Mom & I could sleep in. Nana was layed up in the dining room and Karen slept on the couch in the next room. At 6am sharp Karen thought she heard my Nana call her name out. She lifted her head to look at Nana but she was sleeping deeply. When she put her head down and looked at the stairs going up she saw a little girl in a dress holding a basket in her one hand. At the sametime my Mother thought she heard her name called. Mom came downstairs just after the little girl disappeared. Karen didn't share her story until lunch time when her mom was over. My mom had chills running up her spine. She quickly ran upstairs and bought an old photo down of Nana's mother as a child. It was the same little girl, dress and all, that Karen saw earlier.

Throughout her last days Nana's children kept hearing voices calling to them. I saw a shadow above her bed the night before she passed.

I am definately a believer.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This story if from a good friend.

She was livng in an old house in our downtown with a boy and his dog (Rudy). It was aparent from the chew marks that another dog had lived in the house and had probably been locked in the basement cellar. Well, one day my friend was playing w/ an RC car chasing Rudy with it when it quit working. She turned off both the car and remote then took the batteries out of the remote to change them. While all switches were off and the batteries were out the car started chasing Rudy on it's own.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive got a couple stories. Where we lived in Selinsgrove it was a used as a burial ground during the Battle of Gettysburg, the Susquehanna soldiers were brought home and buried in a mass grave that spanned 4 blocks. The church three blocks from my house was were they would have services for the soldiers. Well our house only had three rooms upstairs but the basement had a room that was finished. Of course I got the basement room. At night I used to hear footsteps walking beside and behind my room. There was a little corridor to get back to a small storage area and the oil tank. There was no light there until you got all the way back to the room. The one night I got up thinking that my sister was just being a pain and trying to scare me so I went back and the closer I got to the room the more I smelled this disgusting raunchy smell that literally made me gag and want to throw up. When I reached the storage room all I saw was this greyish greenish mist covering the floor and when I looked at the oil tank (my sisters fav hiding spot) there was a man standing there. He was missing an arm and it looked like blood was just oozing out of him. I screamed so loud and ran straight upstairs out the back door. I woke up both my neighbors, one of which is a prison guard and manly man. He went downstairs too see what was going on and my cats Pickles and Gimp attacked him trying to get out of the cat door with the bushiest tails Mike had ever seen...When he got back to storage room he didnt see anything but smelled that nasty smell. After that was when we researched the area to see what could have happened and found out about the grave.
2. The summer of 05 my friend Christy and I took a trip to Gettysburg on the way back from Va beach and it was night time and Ive always wanted to go around the battlefield at night. Im obsessed with the battle of gettysburg and the civil war in general so it was extremely hyped up. Well we started heading down confederate ave. and went to go past the big pa monument and I start taking pics with our camara and all of a sudden Christy just stopped the kia. I was like dude ok this is freaky enough without you stopping the car in the middle of the rd. She just pointed ahead of her and there were about a hundred blue "orbs" just floating past our car. I started freaking out...I was yelling drive christy drive but she was frozen. She couldnt move. Well I was ready to put the car in reverse and just head outta there but when I looked behind us to tell her to back up there were even more blue orbs rushing at the car. At that point Christy was in tears she was hysterical. She was always the type who had an explanation for things and didnt think ghosts were real. After I got her calmed down and told her we need to leave we need to get out of here there was a giant flash like a lightening strike and it just felt like the air was thick and heavy...Like you could imagine it would be after a heavy battle. Finally after this she put the car into gear and started driving off...She still vows to this day that she will never step foot in Gettysburg again. She would rather drive n hour out of her way that pass through that town. Me on the other hand..I want to go back and get my own pictures at night and see if something could happen again.

3. This one is short and sweet. My mom-mom passed away 5 mths before my brother was born and the day after she passed my mom dad sister and I were staying at my aunts house for the funeral and stuff. Well my mom woke up in the middle of the night to see a person standing over me and my sister. It was my mom-mom..She was wearing my Pops old blue shirt and slacks with a ski mask over her face. She knew that we used to be scared of her because the cancer made her look ragged and her skin looked like it was hanging off her face. My mom said that she just tucked us in and gave us a kiss walked over to my mom and put her hand on her belly and then just walked out the door. Its sad knowing that was the last time my mom ever saw her mother...but still nice to know she loved us enough to come back and say good bye.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a few. First one was in my parent's house (they built it). My sister and I had the upstairs (dad finished it as a bedroom). One nite we saw a shadow of a head/shoulders on the ceiling of our room. We checked out anything in the room that might have caused it - nothing. Occasionally we would hear someone coming up the basement steps, but no one was there. And my dad would be missing tools from time to time (hammer) and it would mysteriously reappear.

We nicknamed the ghost "Quentin" (after the Dark Shadows series) and would just figure when Quentin was done with things, he'd return them.

Another time I was at a girl friend's house and she really did have a ghost (her mom and several others saw this lady ghost). I was watching out the window and the blinds moved up at an angle as if someone pushed them. I just calmly stood there and asked if they had a ghost - she told me yes, her mom had seen her in the rocking chair at nite.

My BIL (DH's brother) who lived with us and died of a heart attack at age 43, has visited us several times for a few months after dying. It was different things that happened in the house to let us know he was around before permanently leaving
He died on our honeymoon in Hawaii and never got the chance for us to say goodbye. He also visited a few other family memebers. One was the nite after - my son was sleeping in bed. Woke up to see Milton at the foot of the bed. Milton wanted a hug - my son said "but you are dead" - Milton just smiled and my son said he reached out to give him a hug and his hands went thru him and the then dissappeared.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally believe in ghosts!

Back when my oldest son was a newborn and when his dad and I were married, we lived in a house about 70 years old.
About a week after he was born, strange things started to happen.
Glasses would fall out of closed cabinets

Water would turn on by its self

The kits would go NUTS and follow things around that weren't there.

The worst thing that happened was one day I was laying on the couch with Justice who was about 3 months old. He was crying and was very colicy. And I SWEAR to you, the radio clicked on my it's self and a voice said "we don't want to leave" and then clicked on country music
Immediatly, Justice stopped crying!

Growing up in a religious family, I knew people who dealt with this. Matter of fact, Justice's godfather was a minister in a church.
I had him come over. He had myself and my ex-husband annoint all the windows and doors and he told us to go outside.. About 15 mins later, I felt a cold chill and then all of sudden we heard a siren, kinda like a circus siren?

Alot of other things happened but a little too graphic to talk about here.
From that day on, we never had a problem.
I found out later on that a couple who lived in the house when it was built had a child. They also had a live-in nanny who was sent to prison for abusing the baby

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know that's REALLY interesting.... have you thought about walking through the kitchen and just snapping some random photographs to see what turns up on the pictures? I would be fascinated to see them!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WhosaMyHercules
I love Gettyburg! I went there for my 8th grade trip. I was so freaked out. We took a tour of the battle grounds. They weren't re-enacting that day but a few of us saw soilders & heard guns shots. I couldn't wait to get home I was that freaked.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh you're so lucky! I would LOVE to see Gettysburg!! Chillingham Castle is a favourite research of mine too.... would love to get there for real.
I guess I would just love to scare the pants off myself!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always had 2 ghosts that I knew of..a male and a female. The female did not like me ironing in the back bedroom (she threw the iron across the room) and the male would just keep me company. But now I've had a poltergeist move in. He's upturned clothes off my bed. He's always slamming door on the second floor of the house. I recently had a friend housesitting and he appeared to her in the bathroom mirror. Thankfully, she is also well familiar with ghosts and she just told him not to come into the bathroom...its off limits. I believe he is the ghost that scares Pipsqueek.

The male ghost likes to play with Pip. It really fun to watch him lie on his back and try to swat at things I can't see. He also chases it around the house and talks to the front corner of the living room.

I'm not sure who disliked the curtains in my livingroom. I had ivy draped over the top of the valance. I would come home and 1 end was always dangling. I'd put it up and the next evening it was dangling. Then one day I came home and it was off the valance and curled neatly on top of the couch on the other side of the room. I didn't put it back up.

If ghosts really scare you, try placing a blessed clove of garlic above each doorway to the outside. It keeps out evil spirits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are all fascinating stories!! Keep them coming!

Originally Posted by Sweets

Then one day I came home and it was off the valance and curled neatly on top of the couch on the other side of the room. I didn't put it back up.
At least they told you politely!!

I'm not really scared of them, I've just never seen anything like that night in my life! He was so real, he looked like if I touched him he would have been solid!

I've thought about taking pics in the kitchen, I may try that. I wonder how long it would take to get anything though? I've thought about buying a sound activated voice recorder to see if I could catch any EVPs. I would love to know why he's hanging out here instead of moving on.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WhosaMyHercules -- the blue orbs you describe at Gettysburg... how big were they? How far off the ground? Any further details you can provide?

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone mention such a thing as being related to ghosts, and it may cast a whole new light on an experience I had once...

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

Oooh you're so lucky! I would LOVE to see Gettysburg!! Chillingham Castle is a favourite research of mine too.... would love to get there for real.
I guess I would just love to scare the pants off myself!
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

WhosaMyHercules
I love Gettyburg! I went there for my 8th grade trip. I was so freaked out. We took a tour of the battle grounds. They weren't re-enacting that day but a few of us saw soilders & heard guns shots. I couldn't wait to get home I was that freaked.
Im planning a weekend trip with my best friend down to Gettysburg this yr. She wants to see if she can see ghosts and stuff. So we are going to take a night time haunted tour. And we are also going to get the Ghosts of Gettysburg movies to watch and then try and visit as many of those places as we can. She thinks Im just batty but I told her that it doesnt matter that you cant see it its there. Ive always had issues when I go there about walking in front of the cannons. I always get this freaky feeling and a flash image of one of them going off. I told David about this thread and that I wanted to know if our house was haunted. He said that the person he bought the house from (a family friend of his) said that it was haunted and he thinks that it is also...So tonight Im going to run around the house taking pics with the digital and hopefully I find something freaky. But Im going to make Bruno walk around with me...Hopefully if the house is haunted he will keep them peaceful and Ill end up with some awesome pics!!!!

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to go to Church at The University Of Kentucky when I lived in Lexington, Ky. The Chapel was about the size of two cottages put together. Nothing ever happened while I was there, but people who I trust told me some things. People would walk into the Chapel in early morning and find chairs stacked on the one couch there, tables turned upside down, and the candles taken out of the candleholders. Anyone who happened to be walking by the Chapel in the early morning would often be treated to the Chapel organ being played by an unsees organist. Lights would go on and off. I suggested one time that maybe someone was breaking in (Shame on me because I love Ghost Stories!), but they said that was impossible because the Chapel had strong locks, an alarm system, and the Campus Police drove by every hour. I haven't been there in over twenty years and I often wonder if the ghosts still live there.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My house is definitely haunted. I have never actually seen my ghost but ever once in a while, I will wake up in the middle of the night and look over at the other side of the bed and there will be an indentation like a person is lying there. And sometimes he or she is being a little thief. I will lose something and then find it a couple days or weeks later in the oddest places. The weirdest thing that happens here is sometimes my TV will all of a sudden lose the cable signal and go to static and then a second later it will be fine. I've taken my TV to repair shops and they can't find anything wrong with it, the connections are all good, and my TV isn't even that old.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am definitely a believer. I only have one real ghostly story that happened to me. It happened a few years back, probably around 2002. It was winter time and around 8 am, and I was in my parent's room watching tv. My mom was half-asleep on the couch in the living room and everyone else was asleep in the basement. I was just sitting there watching tv like I said and the bedroom door slammed shut. I was just like, 'whatever, probably just a draft'. Nothing happened for a few minutes until the door opened and slammed shut over and over. It lasted for about ten seconds and then stopped. By then I was freaking out and hid under the covers for a bit. When I finally had the guts to run out of the room and tell my mom, she asked me why I was slamming the door. I said it wasn't me and it happened by itself.

The second incident happened a year later when I had a friend over. We were the only ones home and at the time nobody lived on the other half of our house. We heard loud scratching sounds coming from a wall across from us even though nothing was there.

My mom has witnessed some odd things, like in the early 1980's she had an outer body experience while my brother was sleeping beside her. Also when she was younger, a family friend's cow was mutilated. There were no marks on the body or anything.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG, I should not be reading this thread..I Live ALONE:

Thankfully I have never seen anything weird and I prefer to keep it that way..

My sister on the other hand saw a shadow man one time when she was laying in bed.

She was about 19 or 20, and she had just laid down in bed..it was dark. The all of a sudden there was this shadowy man that was looming over her bed. It actually paralyzed her, and though it didn't speak, she heard "get up!".

She was so freaked out that she couldn't move..she uttered a religious comment, and the shadowman disappeared. She hasn't seen him since, and ever since then she has been very religious. That terrified her as she was certain it was an evil spirit..not a friendly one

ETA: Now anytime I tell her that I question religion, she says "haven't I told you about the shadow man?"
She swears that it left her alone because she was clearly telling it that she was protected by God.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
About six years ago now, my mother and I went to a play, in a theatre that was once the Nicholas Street Jail, now a youth hostel and playhouse. This building has been credited to be one of the most haunted places in Canada. Most people know of the volatile ghost of Patrick Whelan, who killed John D'Arcy Magee. Magee was a very influential politician in the early 20th Century. The ghost of Whelan is probably the best known spirit who haunts the jail. Whelan was also one of the last people hanged in Canada.

But there are other spirits, and some just want to say hello.

The wing where the theatre is was once the place where women, children, and the elderly were kept. It most likely has too many sad stories to tell. The moment I walked into the theatre, I felt someone watching me. I felt as if whoever it was was trying to seek acknowledgment, it wasn't necessarily a sinister presence however it was disconcerting. I felt it come into the elevator with us, and come out to where the ticket booths were. It was following us.

We were getting our tickets and I still had this nagging feeling that someone was still watching us. I glanced down towards the benches lining the walls. And there he was, an old man with grey hair, a brown plaid vest and bowler hat. He had a cane and his shoes were polished. He had a large moustache and small pince nez glasses. In fact, he looked just like he had appeared from the early 1920's. I can still see him to this day. He was just sitting there, looking at me, and he was smiling as if he knew me. He winked, took his hat off and gave a little nod in my direction, and walked away down the hall.

Then he disappeared.

My mum didn't see or feel a thing, but I am sure to this day that he was a ghost. Every time I'm around the Nicholas Street Jail, I stop for a moment and say hello to the old man of the theatre, who finally has someone who knows he is still there.