Anyone have potty training advice? (for kids)

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My son is 2 1/2 and just won't give up his diapers
He does go on the "big boy potty" when he wants to but won't try unless he feels like it.
My daughter was in panties at the same age so I feel like there's something that I'm missing here? Is potty training a boy supposed to be a lot more difficult?
Any idea's or suggestions? What worked for you?

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am also trying to potty train my boy - he was 2 in February. I have been told that it is more difficult to train boys, but as this is my 1st one who knows. We just started, but so far Kevin loves to flush his pee down the toilet - that is a good motivator. No poops yet in the potty, but we are trying! We have been told that it is easier to train in the summer as they can run around outside without thier diaper (sunscreened up of course) and that makes them more conscious of what they are doing.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing what advice is given.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've worked with three year-olds with learning diabilities (some were potty-trained, and some weren't), and since this works for them, it'll work for your son.

Explain the process, and actually go through the process with him. Explain what you expect of him. Tell him he can do it like the "big boys" whenever he is ready. Tell him you will help him if he wants. (You've probably already done all that.) Then drop it for a few days. Bring it up now and then when the opportunity presents itself. If he brings it up, answer his questions, and help if necessary, and then drop the subject.

The key is letting the child decides when s/he is ready. You present the information and the assitance. The kid will come around.

If you try to force the issue, it can become a power struggle that has nothing to do with going to the potty, trust me.

Letting the child decide puts him in control of his body, and he's starting to want that. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help
I know that he'll potty train eventually and I try not to put any pressure on him. He's very strong willed and so any suggestion to use the potty is met with a lot of resistance.
We have an Elmo uses the potty DVD but he doesn't like to watch it (pushing trucks around is way more fun!) He'll follow us into the bathroom but won't sit on the potty (he brushes his teeth instead)
He actually had a great week about 2 months ago where he went poop and pee in the potty regularly but then refused to try at all.
I think that I'll wait for summer and if he's not showing interest by then I'll just strip him and let him run! He loves to be naked

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know some people use the cheerio trick. My girls refused to use the potty till their third bday and I had been trying since they were 18 mths old...Some kids are just slower...Give him time he will get the idea of it soon enough. Worst comes to worst just start bribing him. I still have to bribe my youngest by putting a penny in her piggy bank when she goes potty. She loves spending her own money so she always makes sure I add a penny when she goes potty....

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never rushed potty training! When they do start using the toilet, be prepared to hear these words, "COME AND WIPE MEEEEEE!"

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boys usually take longer then girls. One thing that helps is "pull up pants". My husband had a trick for his boys - to "sink the Cheerios" with them and it helped them to learn to go in the toliet.

I've heard if you give them a special pair of "big boy pants" - like Spiderman, etc. and when he wants to wear them like big boys and not be in diapers like a baby, then you'll let him wear them.

You might try letting him wear the big boy pants with no diapers and run around the house for a day or two - the feeling of being wet or uncomfortable should help him get to the bathroom sooner.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boys can be a little slower to train, but it's summertime, so you can just let him out in the garden without his diapers. Accidents happen, but he'll soon get to grips with it. I'll agree with the "big boy pants" trick - I used it with Alex.
Patience... that's all it takes. Alex was nearly 3 by the time he finally mastered it.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I've never taught a young young child to potty in the toilet...I have a stepson who entered into my life when he was 11, so I missed the toileting bit with him as a little tike.

HOWEVER...I am a special education teacher, and have toileted MANY MANY older children...some as old as 12 and 13 years old, most having mental disabilities and/or autism.

I have my kiddos on a potty schedule. Each and every hour, at the same time, they get taken to the potty. I create a visual routine with pictures of the steps (pull pants down, sit on toilet, etc.), and have the children sit on the toilet, and I set the timer for about 10-15 minutes. If the child is fidgety or has trouble with their attention span, I've created lap trays out of pop can flats, that have either little fine motor tasks to do, or some toys or manipulatives to fiddle with while they're trying to potty. If it happens in the toilet, I verbally praise to high heaven, and if necessary, I will offer an edible treat, or a preferred activity afterwards. I will most often put the child in regular underwear right away in the morning, but if the kiddo has behavior issues (like wetting their pants to avoid a demand, or to get out of work...yes, some of my kids can pee at will...
), then they wear regular underwear with a pull-up over the top of it. This way, if they wet, they will have to sit in it, and feel uncomfortable, without soiling their pants through. A child must begin to view the feeling of being wet/soiled as aversive, or associate discomfort with it, as this will make going in the toilet more reinforcing...sounds a bit harsh, but that's the way it's been the most effective for my students.

Anyway, good luck! You'll be so happy when this challenge has finally been mastered by your little one!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Boys usually take longer then girls. One thing that helps is "pull up pants". My husband had a trick for his boys - to "sink the Cheerios" with them and it helped them to learn to go in the toliet.

I've heard if you give them a special pair of "big boy pants" - like Spiderman, etc. and when he wants to wear them like big boys and not be in diapers like a baby, then you'll let him wear them.

You might try letting him wear the big boy pants with no diapers and run around the house for a day or two - the feeling of being wet or uncomfortable should help him get to the bathroom sooner.
I work at a daycare and I have 2-3 year olds(20 of whom are boys
)We ARE the potty training room. Once we and the parents get frustrated that potty training isn't working we "cold-turkey" them. We let the parent know that they can bring in as much laundry they feel like doing and we put Big Boys(or panties depending on the sex of the child) on them. Boys are MUCH more stubborn........

After a few weeks or accidents or the child holding it until a pull-up is put on(they may hold it for a while so they don't have to go on the potty)it ALWAYS works like a charm. They don't like the feeling. My kids there will hold it until naptime when we put pull-ups on them
It's a boy thing.

Don't rush it whatever you do though. That is just a tip from me

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

I have my kiddos on a potty schedule. Each and every hour, at the same time, they get taken to the potty. I create a visual routine with pictures of the steps (pull pants down, sit on toilet, etc.), and have the children sit on the toilet, and I set the timer for about 10-15 minutes. If the child is fidgety or has trouble with their attention span, I've created lap trays out of pop can flats, that have either little fine motor tasks to do, or some toys or manipulatives to fiddle with while they're trying to potty. If it happens in the toilet, I verbally praise to high heaven, and if necessary, I will offer an edible treat, or a preferred activity afterwards. I will most often put the child in regular underwear right away in the morning, but if the kiddo has behavior issues (like wetting their pants to avoid a demand, or to get out of work...yes, some of my kids can pee at will...
), then they wear regular underwear with a pull-up over the top of it. This way, if they wet, they will have to sit in it, and feel uncomfortable, without soiling their pants through. A child must begin to view the feeling of being wet/soiled as aversive, or associate discomfort with it, as this will make going in the toilet more reinforcing...sounds a bit harsh, but that's the way it's been the most effective for my students.

Anyway, good luck! You'll be so happy when this challenge has finally been mastered by your little one!
Thank you so much! I love the idea of using undies UNDER the pull up! I bought plastic pants for him to wear over his cloth training pants but they seem so uncomfortable, the pull ups will be much better.. at least to start with

Also, I'm going to start suggesting that he use the potty every hour and see what happens...I'm only going to offer though, no pressure.. I think that the wet undies might pursuade him!

He has many,many pairs of "special" undies that he picked out...he LOVES to wear them on the outside of his diaper (I should probably stop letting him do that
)
The cheerios trick is a great idea, I'll try it when he starts standing up to pee. For now it's sit down only! (standing is intimidating(for me))

Luckily we have a huge yard and the only neighbor (my parents) have no problem with my little boy streaking so he'll probably spend a lot of time naked this summer.

We went "cold turkey" with my daughter and it worked great....she had a MUCH longer attention span though and that's what has stumped me as far as my son goes. My daughter had a few accidents (mainly right in front of the toilet) but was completely potty trained in less than a month.
This little guy's going to be a bit more work, he'll get it though..thanks everyone