Evo not the best match.... Help again guys!!!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok here is the food background! I used to have my cats on Nutro dry, then I switched them to wellness dry, then they were getting wellness dry and felidae chicken and rice wet, then lol I switched them to EVO and Felidae wet... Well EVO mixed with the wet made them sick (not to mention I was a bad meowmy and wasn't able to gradually change their dry diet because I ran out off food) the vet said stick with the EVO dry and no more wet food to see what happens....SO... I took them off wet (which makes me sad) and have kept them on EVO only while their tummies adjust! The kitten is fine! My 5 year old cat is good on somedays and bad on others! Some days he has diarrhea and vomits (ohhh it smells like rotten eggs)! I really don't want to tourcher them and switch them again but I am thinking I might have too! I would do this gradually of course (I have more than enough food this time)! What are some high quality lines that are easy on the stomach? I've tried Nutro, Wellness, and EVO! Nutro Im not interested in so much and Wellness is a little pricey (my cats weren't huge fans on the microscopic pieces)! NOTE.... This has to be a formula that suits both cats and isn't a bad choice for overweight cats (Tiger needs to drop some punds... he is on strict portions)! I do not want to put him back on weight management food... He blew up on it! Ok so that is my challenge, bring on the suggestions!!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welness core seems fine with Zoey who cant do Evo

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Welness core seems fine with Zoey who cant do Evo
More later as I have to get food

Cal natural???

Solid gold

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about the cal natural! Do you think the raw dry is an issue for him! I mean we are talking stinky and runny poo poo's and vomit! He just loves his EVO though I feel mean! Weren't we discussing that the ash levels in CORE where to high? Also is it safe for my fatty! The vet says he really has to start loosing some weight! I have been feeding him appropriatley and he gets plenty of exercise with the kitten and no loss! He has a saggy puch the poor man! Its quite droopy... My poor pudge!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also Im kind of sad that the vet said no more wet or maybe just a little as a treat! I feel like I took something good away that they like! I dunno anymore what to put em on!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't understand why the vet said no wet especially the higher quality foods you have been mentioning. I mean if you were feeding them generic canned food I could understand it but I would think the extra moisture would just help fend off dehydration. I dunno though!

My kitties love the wellness grain free turkey and chicken cans (I just added this to their meals). They didn't care too much for the wellness core (I'm still trying it with them) but do enjoy the Nutro Max Cat Organic Chix Adult Cat. I'm trying to get them to eat more grain free but I'm not sure what's good for sensitive stomachs.

Good luck!

Devlyn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to disagree with your vet about the dry vs wet .... I think a nice wet is far better than any dry avail... one wet on ave is about 200 cal per six ounces less than dry
.. has more easily digest protein and fat

I will get more about Core on weds.. my vet took the brosure and the sample to check with the holistic vet... YES it is high now to find out

Raw instict and serengetti are the "simple" of the no grain( DONT confuse NO GRAIN for RAW ... Raw IS not cooked while all dry foods are COOKED )

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the EVO might be a little richer than some of the other grain free options.

I don't see the harm in wet (you know I'm a big fan of wet!
)...maybe just get his dry situation figured out first...maybe that's what the vet meant? I mean, if you have 2 new variables and he's having trouble, then you don't really know which one it is. I hope that makes sense.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

I don't understand why the vet said no wet especially the higher quality foods you have been mentioning. I mean if you were feeding them generic canned food I could understand it but I would think the extra moisture would just help fend off dehydration. I dunno though!

My kitties love the wellness grain free turkey and chicken cans (I just added this to their meals). They didn't care too much for the wellness core (I'm still trying it with them) but do enjoy the Nutro Max Cat Organic Chix Adult Cat. I'm trying to get them to eat more grain free but I'm not sure what's good for sensitive stomachs.

Good luck!

Devlyn
I'm not sure why she cut the wet food out! I had them eating felidae for at least 2 weeks before I switched to EVO! They were gettting 1 full can of felidae (between both cats per day... they were just getting use to wet food) and then they would get 1/2 a cup or less of dry for free feed! They got the Felidae in the morning and in the evening! The vet said they weren't dehydrated and didn't need the wet and that I should get them use to the Evo and then gradually reintroduce them to wet food (only a very little at a time, eventhough they were already adjusted to the wet... not the evo)! She also wanted me to do this to rule out if they were getting sick from a combo of Evo dry and Felidae wet or just the EVO dry!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im have been holding off on the wet while I figure out how they do with EVO! Im thinking I might have to switch the evo... Then once they get used to their new food I can gradually start to make wet the main equation again!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why not try the Felidae chicken and rice dry? If they were doing okay with the wet version, before you added the Evo dry, maybe they could eat Felidae for both dry and wet meals.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

Why not try the Felidae chicken and rice dry? If they were doing okay with the wet version, before you added the Evo dry, maybe they could eat Felidae for both dry and wet meals.
Hmm that is not a bad idea! I have never tampered with Felidae dry... Any feedback on that?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Hmm that is not a bad idea! I have never tampered with Felidae dry... Any feedback on that?
My cats liked the samples I had.

Oddly, they were more enthused with the senior stuff
, but it all went over well!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is weird! My kitten was obsessed with the older cats weight management formula and he was obsessed with her kitten formula! That is why I have them on the same formula so they aren't eating multiple things!

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fed Felidae dry a long time ago. I tried both formulas, Chicken and Rice was not their favorite, but the other formula (with multiple protein sources) went over well.
EVO though was their preference compared to Felidae.

My fat cat blew up on EVO.

Simple foods are:
California Natural
Sensible Choice
Felidae Chicken & Rice
Nutro Natural Choice Adult

I too have two cats, they share one large can of wet a day. And if I cant do all wet, I give them 1/8 of cup each and 3 servings of wet.

I think with a large can and so much EVO, it seems like too much food to me.

Oh, my cats also tired of Felidae wet very quickly, so I have to put dry toppers for them to even consider eating it, so thats why I never considered doing Felidae dry, I think its just not as tasty as other options.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I might try the california Natural Chicken... Not the Herring and Sweet Potatoe! Im looking for something that won't pack the pounds on my fatty! Right now they are only on dry for4 experiment as to how they react to EVO alone! Eventually I would like to get them on wet again! I swear I need a cat dietician one that could work with me personally to obtain a great diet... the vets always through Science Diet lite in my face which is offensive (I get it that that is their sponser), especially since they rush you in and out so quickly! Ahh doctors!

As for the quantity size! Each cat got 1/2 a cup... probably less of dry food after their breakfast serving! I usually put the wet on a dry paper plate and they ate what they wanted to and left the rest to be tossed! I bought a case of the Felidae wet and usually went through a can a day or a little less between both cats! The can size was... 5.5 or less! I looked at the items on the site and those cans are tall! The cans I was giving them was about the same size as a large can of tuna! Hmmmm weird??? I'll have to check the size when I get home! I thought it was 3 something but now Im not sure!
They were getting two feedings of wet... Morning and night. Dry was served after breakfast... 1 can lasted through both their wet feedings (with some leftover to spare)!

pamalajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats seem to like the Felidae Chicken and Rice Dry. I am also mixing in California Natural Chicken and Rice Dry and they like this even better. I had some problems with smelly poo and gas with the Evo. I tried mixing it with other dry food but that did not solve the problem. I really tried going grain free but it just seemed too rich for their tummies. They have no interest in wet food but get baby food twice a day in order to get their daily dose of L-lysine. They also get cooked organic chicken breasts as needed.

Their coats are soft as can be and are in good health. They had been eating recalled Nutro pouches and Nutro dry. We now will never feed Nutro ever again.

You just need to figure out what works for your babies, no two tummies are alike. You know what is best so trust yourself and just stay informed.

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/index.htm

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the evo has made some horrific poopies in the older cat... Liquid poo to say the least! I know he will be sad to be switched off EVO because they love the taste but it's just not doing well for the older cats tummy! Poor kitties! I'll have to try the California Natural or Felidae! One or the other i suppose!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cal natural is chn br rice white rice and flax

Felidea is chn rice and alfalfa...( Personally I avoid the last one )