Old books

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you do with an old set of encyclopedia? These thing weigh a ton!!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
having worked in an antiquarian bookshop... the best thing to do with old encyclopedias is trash them... you can put them up on Craiglist... but seriosuly, don't ask for much money for them... 20 bucks tops... my former boss would start snarling and swearing under his breath when someone called asking if he bought old encyclopedia sets... they're outdated... and pretty much worhtless... now if they're REALLY old... as in over 50 years, then a collector MIGHT want then, but won't pay you much, trust me... if they're a few years old, a poorer family might want them... i.e. Craigslist.

But honestly, if you don't get any bites via CL, toss em/burn em/etc... libraries won't want them, and don't bother trying to sell them to a use bookshop... you'll get a few bucks, if that, but more often than not, you'll get laughed at... although they probably won't do it to your face. Just don't put too much effort into rehoming the set.

A lot of it depends on how old they are...

We had a guy at that shop who loved older atlases... loved the old maps... have yet to see anyone want old encyclopedias, but there's always a first.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering the same thing. We have this old readers digest condensed books (no idea what they are) that are from 1960. They are just on a bookshelf here, I don't think any of us have ever actually looked at them. They were here when we moved in.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are nice bindings, recycle the insides and us the outside for craft stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are in perfect condition and about 20 years old. I think we will just throw them away. Mom also has over 200 books that we have to decide what to do with them. The classics are staying. We need more boxes to dejunk mom's house than we need to move. LoL

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

They are in perfect condition and about 20 years old. I think we will just throw them away. Mom also has over 200 books that we have to decide what to do with them. The classics are staying. We need more boxes to dejunk mom's house than we need to move. LoL
If you are packing up things to give to charity, all the charity and they will come and pick it up. That way you don't have to lug the heavy boxes.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions on who to call? The American Cancer Society won't take them.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'know, I wonder if a nursing home might like both the encyclopedias and the Reader's Digest condensed books. Elderly people often enjoy having things around from their younger days, things that seem more familiar to them. There was even a study done some time ago in which a group of older people lived for a few weeks at a sort of "camp" set up for them in which everything was as it would have been in 1950 or so -- old magazines lying around, old shows on TV, old furniture, old-fashioned kitchens, everything. And the people in the study showed significant improvement in their morale and in some aspects of their physical health, as well!

I don't imagine some of the ultra-fancy "retirement communities" would be interested in anything used, but the lower-end retirement homes might be able to use them...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

I've been wondering the same thing. We have this old readers digest condensed books (no idea what they are) that are from 1960. They are just on a bookshelf here, I don't think any of us have ever actually looked at them. They were here when we moved in.
Those are worth some serious money

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Never ever throw books away! Donate them to a library or something. Don't throw them away.

Donate them to a charity that may send them over seas to third world countries. Just because you don't have any use for them, doesn't mean that some child somewhere wouldn't appreciate them

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Never ever throw books away! Donate them to a library or something. Don't throw them away.

Donate them to a charity that may send them over seas to third world countries. Just because you don't have any use for them, doesn't mean that some child somewhere wouldn't appreciate them
Do you suggest I call all the public libraries? I have no idea who to contact for this set.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
When i used to work at one of the Salvos op shops, encyclopedias were so popular do be dumped on us, because so many people couldn't be bothered chucking one book a week into their wheely bin to get rid of them. There were so many sets we had no room to sell them so they went straight to the tip. Unfortunately they aren't popular these days.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you suggest I call all the public libraries? I have no idea who to contact for this set.
I don't call any library when I donate books. I just box them up and drop them off at the main branch. Then let them do whatever they want with them. I know they don't throw them out. They probably catalogue them or donate them to worthy causes where there is a need.