Question about Pharmacies

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my hydroxocobalamin (B12-A) from a pharmacy in Texas (it's not sold in Canada). The pharmacist did not send me a box, and plastered a label almost all the way around the bottle, which made me suspicious. I peeled off part of his label, and the expiration date is June 2007 on the bottle. His label has the expiration date as November 2007!

I called the manufacturer, and was told that the meds are not to be used past June 2007, which is one month away. This bottle should last me for nine months.

Who is the pharmacy or pharmacist accountable to? The FDA? Does anyone know? I have to pursue this now.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I got my hydroxocobalamin (B12-A) from a pharmacy in Texas (it's not sold in Canada). The pharmacist did not send me a box, and plastered a label almost all the way around the bottle, which made me suspicious. I peeled off part of his label, and the expiration date is June 2007 on the bottle. His label has the expiration date as November 2007!

I called the manufacturer, and was told that the meds are not to be used past June 2007, which is one month away. This bottle should last me for nine months.

Who is the pharmacy or pharmacist accountable to? The FDA? Does anyone know? I have to pursue this now.
to be honest- i have no idea. but i hope someone comes along soon and can help you figure it out

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's outrageous! Here's the website for the Texas State Board of Pharmacy:

http://www.tsbp.state.tx.us/

And here's the contact information:

William P. Hobby Building
Tower 3, Suite 600
333 Guadalupe Street
Austin, Tx 78701

Phone:
(512) 305-8000
Fax:
(512) 305-8082
Licensing Fax:
(512) 305-8075
Complaints:
(800) 821-3205*
* voice mail for complaint referrals

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Why are you being prescribed medication in Canada that isn't available here? Why couldn't they give you a combination medication that did the same thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Why are you being prescribed medication in Canada that isn't available here? Why couldn't they give you a combination medication that did the same thing?
I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia 20 years ago (I'm American), and the regular cobalamin (B-12) did not help - went straight through my body. Hydroxocobalamin is time-released and the only thing that works. My doctor (in Canada) writes me prescriptions, and I get it filled in the U.S. since that's the only place B-12A is made.

Much thanks, CarolPetunia!

This pharmacist is a sleeze bag - he also charged me double the usual cost.