How to get a fat cat!

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok how do you guys get your cats fat! Ive been trying and trying to get Herkyboy to turn into a fat cat and I swear he just burns off all the food I give him. Also...What does DH stand for. I think I asked before but I dont remember which thread it was on...Someone please help the deedeedee "dumb brunette"....lol...

Tyler

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um... why would you want him to get fat? It's just as unhealthy for kitties as it is for us. Three of our babies are overweight, and I'm frantic trying to figure out how to help them lose the extra pounds!

DH means "Dear Husband," I believe... though some people insert other D-words at times.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WhosaMyHercules

Ok how do you guys get your cats fat! Ive been trying and trying to get Herkyboy to turn into a fat cat and I swear he just burns off all the food I give him. Also...What does DH stand for. I think I asked before but I dont remember which thread it was on...Someone please help the deedeedee "dumb brunette"....lol...

Tyler
Dh means dear husband and if we're mad, dumb husband

Oh and Dee Dee Dee is my ringtone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cant help it. Ive got an addiction for fat cats. I just love and wanna give em smooshy fat cat kisses....Im odd!! lol...I dont want him huge but maybe just a little porky..Ive never had a fat cat, I guess I just want one so I can finally say I have a fat cat...I dont even try to get him fat tho. Hes on a strict eating plan. They each get 1/2 a cup of food in the morning and then they get a dish of food downstairs in the afternoon. They also only get 4 little cat treats at night before we go to bed. Once a month we get a box of 24 pack wet cat food that will last us up to three months because Herc will eat all of it in a week if we dont regulate what he eats.

*Its tuna out of a can ok to give cats as a snack?* Not the whole can but dividing it up to last a couple of days.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the thing to do, rather than compromising Hercules's health, is adopt a second cat of a breed that's naturally a little hefty... maybe a Maine Coon mix?

About tuna -- as I understand it, there are some types that are okay and some that are likely to have higher levels of mercury that are dangerous for kitties. You might find more information on that in the Health & Nutrition thread.

But y'know... it seems like I heard someone say that, once they'd fed tuna to their cat, the cat would accept nothing else!
Maybe not such a good idea!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fat cats get all sorts of health problems and don't live long happy lives. You don't want an obese cat. You also said "Ive been trying and trying to get Herkyboy to turn into a fat cat and I swear he just burns off all the food I give him" and then in the next post you say "I dont even try to get him fat tho"
So... ????

1/2 a cup of food in the morning and a dish at night with treats seems like an AWFUL lot of food. Check the portion sizes on the bag and compare it to what you are feeding him.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Believe me, you do not want your beautiful boy even slighty "porky". My soul kitty died because he was slightly overweight. He didn't eat for a couple of days and he developed Hepatic Lipidosis. Despite a feeding tube and a month of the most gut wrenching stress of trying to save him, he died from it. His death will haunt me the rest of my life.

Please, read up on Hepatic Lipidosis and decide if smooshy is worth risking your cats life.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe Fred can give Hercules some of his inches. Or at least adopt his exercise plan!

I'm desperatly trying to get Fred to lose weight. Now not only is he chubby, he is the meow-king as he is always asking for food now that he's on prescribed diet plan.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll move this to Health & Nutrition for more of our expert's opinion.

Making anything become overweight is a monumentally bad idea. All of the risks that humans have being overweight are the same in cats. Just exaggerated because they are smaller animals, and live shorter lives.

As for tuna, the only thing I have ever seen suggested is allowing them to have tuna juice in tuna packed in WATER (not oil). Tuna as a regular treat contains more mercury than they can tolerate, and can lead to health problems.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Maybe the thing to do, rather than compromising Hercules's health, is adopt a second cat of a breed that's naturally a little hefty... maybe a Maine Coon mix?

About tuna -- as I understand it, there are some types that are okay and some that are likely to have higher levels of mercury that are dangerous for kitties. You might find more information on that in the Health & Nutrition thread.

But y'know... it seems like I heard someone say that, once they'd fed tuna to their cat, the cat would accept nothing else!
Maybe not such a good idea!
I agree. Please don't make him fat. Just get a bigger breed. It is very unhealthy, just like human.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too much tuna can also lead to vitamin E deficiency. It's okay as a treat once in a while, but not as a regular meal. I agree with the others on fat cats. Cute as they may be, no one really wants to plan their life around a diabetic cat who might need shots twice per day and regular blood sugar checks.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please consider the sleek beauty of a cat in its natural state, a cat which is neither overweight or underweight, a cat at it's healthy weight and picture this cat running and jumping and leaping gracefully into the air. A cat that climbs a tall cat tree with ease and gives you hours of joy chasing "Da Bird." Picture a cat that has no problem grooming herself that will not cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars in vet bills for weight related issues such as diabetis. Is there any way I can get you to have a thing for cats that are of healthy weight?

I know what you mean. My cat Spotty is overweight. He weighs about 15 pounds and should not weigh any more than 11. His pudginess does give him a cuddly look and we love to smother him but I can also guarantee that he would be just as lovable and cuddly and that we would smother him just as much if he were to be at his ideal weight. Because he would still be Spotty and he is a very sweet cat. And because I have a thing for all cats of all shapes and sizes but I prefer healthy cats. Because healthy cats make me happy and pleased that they are healthy and unhealthy cats make me sad. Spotty is overweight but fortunately he is still healthy and I'm trying to secure a healthy future for him by putting him on a diet and getting him to lose some weight. It's challenging though, with cats who live in relatively small condos or apartments such as where I live.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only agree with everyone else that it's a really bad idea to try and turn your cat into a fat cat. Apart from the health risks associated with obesity in cats, it's really difficult to get cats to lose weight so much better to not let them get overweight to begin with. Personally I like the sleek, lithe appearance of cats but if you like the cuddly look why not just get a cuddly looking cat, eg a british shorthair.

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes don't try getting a naturally slimline cat fat, not a good idea. If you want a cuddly cat i'd definitely recommend a british shorthair, they are naturally cuddly! But mustn't be overfed, my big girl just can't lose weight. I don't overfeed her, but shes chubby and naturally a big boned huge cat! Great for cuddles. Maine coons too are big.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CarolPetunia; DH means "Dear Husband said:
I used to think that DH were the initials of a man. What was driving me crazy was that there were so many women talking about this same man!
So I finally asked and found out what it meant. So I decided to start using DW just for spite. I have not yet seen anybody else use DW.

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is said that 2 extra poundss can take like 2 extra years off their lives.Everyone things fat cats are cute but you woulnt want your child heavy right?So you dont want your cat heavy either!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your trying to get your cat fat and I am trying to get mine to loose weight! Overweight cats are cute but it is not a healthy situation and can cause complications... Especially in obese cats! My cat is almost 16 pounds and at his most for his body structure he should only weigh 12! He gets high quality, portioned food, and plenty of exercise! Im trying to figure out how he isnt loosing weight! Love your cat for who he/she is! I got a fat cat and a petite skinny cat... I love them both the same! My fatty gives you kisses and says "You don't want your kitty to look like me, Im a fat man!"

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Um... why would you want him to get fat? It's just as unhealthy for kitties as it is for us. Three of our babies are overweight, and I'm frantic trying to figure out how to help them lose the extra pounds!

DH means "Dear Husband," I believe... though some people insert other D-words at times.
It usually stands for "Dear Husband" or "Devoted Husband".... just a little internet shorthand.... some people make up their own abbreviations for other things as well.... I don't get some of them either.

Sorry for taking this so !

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't WANT a fat cat - cats should be healthy and nicely muscled - not fat - there's a big difference. Some cats are naturally lean types that should look that way - orientals, siamese, rex, etc. They all look "skinny" but should be muscle - not fat.

As long as your cat's ribs are not showing, they are probably fine. How old is the cat? Is he/she spayed/neutered? After being spayed/neutered they tend to gain a little weight, but you don't want them "fat".

DH usually means Dear Husband

DW would mean Dear Wife - if you are a male, you'd use DW