Wedding dresses...LOL

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm taking a break from reading and started to look through eBay at wedding dresses. To give you a brief background, fiance and I decided that we don't want to take out a loan for our wedding...so we're going to have to set a budget and hope our families contribute something.

anyway I was looking through eBay when I saw the classic line.

wedding dress [insert information of the dress here]...worn once

Ummm...Ok if its used I would assume that its been worn at least once.

Anyways just had to share.

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL! Just so you know, I got my wedding dress on ebay - it was new, very cheap, and it fit perfectly right out of the box. It was a gorgeous dress, and I loved that I didn't have to hock a kidney to pay for it.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got mine off of Ebay too... It was a new Maggie.

It fits perfectly except for it's a little too long. I'm getting that fixed now.

In my ebay experience, I had to keep coming back. Some weeks would be really good, and others really bad for finding stuff (and I've heard horror stories about the ones that are "custom made" in China.) Just stick with it.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaleetha

I got mine off of Ebay too... It was a new Maggie.

It fits perfectly except for it's a little too long. I'm getting that fixed now.

In my ebay experience, I had to keep coming back. Some weeks would be really good, and others really bad for finding stuff (and I've heard horror stories about the ones that are "custom made" in China.) Just stick with it.

Good luck!
Yea I just came across one of those. No Way! I liked the dress, but it was just a ploy to lure you into the page. Besides I just looked at it as one big scam.

Originally Posted by alice_curiouser

I just looked up my seller, in case you'd like to check them out. It's http://myworld.ebay.com/ww_pricelessbridalstore_co
Here is a picture of the dress: http://livejournal.madwonderland.net...s/wedding1.jpg
Thanks! I figure that I'm going to try on a bunch of dresses at a store or two, get a good idea of what I'm looking for and run with that on eBay. I'll keep this person in mind.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My best friend's sister got her wedding dress off e-bay and it was absolutely gorgeous! I think it was basically copied from a designer by some lady in China or something. I think she paid like $75 for everything from the dress to shipping.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

So I'm taking a break from reading and started to look through eBay at wedding dresses. To give you a brief background, fiance and I decided that we don't want to take out a loan for our wedding...so we're going to have to set a budget and hope our families contribute something.

anyway I was looking through eBay when I saw the classic line.

wedding dress [insert information of the dress here]...worn once

Ummm...Ok if its used I would assume that its been worn at least once.

Anyways just had to share.
Hmmmmm....I should list my wedding dress on e-Bay.
Wedding dress [insert information of the dress here]...worn once, by mistake!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got mine off ebay too. New..and affordable and just needed a little alteration which i got done for $20

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Hmmmmm....I should list my wedding dress on e-Bay.
Wedding dress [insert information of the dress here]...worn once, by mistake!
Good one

Some people who have worn them a few times, could say WORN OUT

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
holy shnikeys!!! maybe I should have looked on e-bay..... maybe I should sell mine!!
when I went shopping for my dress, I unfortunately fell in love with one of the first dresses I tried on and no other dress did it for me....even more unfortunately, that dress cost $1000
it was the most expensive part of my wedding, it was even even more than the caterer!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

holy shnikeys!!! maybe I should have looked on e-bay..... maybe I should sell mine!!
when I went shopping for my dress, I unfortunately fell in love with one of the first dresses I tried on and no other dress did it for me....even more unfortunately, that dress cost $1000
it was the most expensive part of my wedding, it was even even more than the caterer!
ouch..mine would hve cost tht or more retail..but i got it for $300 on ebay hehehe

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hocked a kidney for mine, so I can't help you
It's a La Sposa, and I think that's supposed to MEAN something but really, it's just extremely pretty and my big fat Italian wedding is being financed by my big fat Italian family. You have my permission to pass judgement NOW. Go. Katies, it was $1,675, if that makes you feel better! And my veil is $95. And that doesn't include alterations.

But seriously. If the seller has good feedback and you have a really good tailor in mind (I've heard horror stories) then go for it! Hey, that's exactly what I would've done if my mother, 2 aunts and grandmother hadn't dragged me to a chic bridal boutique "just to look"

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, my veil cost $300 and I had to get 2 cause my ex threw out the first one on accident
I don't even know what the designer was on my dress though
thank goodness my mom & dad paid for almost everything!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I hocked a kidney for mine, so I can't help you
It's a La Sposa, and I think that's supposed to MEAN something but really, it's just extremely pretty and my big fat Italian wedding is being financed by my big fat Italian family. You have my permission to pass judgement NOW. Go. Katies, it was $1,675, if that makes you feel better! And my veil is $95. And that doesn't include alterations.

But seriously. If the seller has good feedback and you have a really good tailor in mind (I've heard horror stories) then go for it! Hey, that's exactly what I would've done if my mother, 2 aunts and grandmother hadn't dragged me to a chic bridal boutique "just to look"
Hey if I knew my family was going to foot the bill, then I would fully take advantage of it!!! Heck, maybe even convince mom after a couple of drinks.

Unfortunately though they didn't foot much for my brother's wedding (just the rehearsal dinner and a $50 savings bond as a gift).

Originally Posted by katiemae1277

well, my veil cost $300 and I had to get 2 cause my ex threw out the first one on accident
I don't even know what the designer was on my dress though
thank goodness my mom & dad paid for almost everything!!
Holy Snickeys! $300 for a frickin veil?!
at that point I would've gone to the fabric store and bought a yard of lace

Yea, we were talking with our good friends on Saturday (who got married a couple of years ago) and they were saying that it cost about $21K for their wedding...$3000 was their own money. Fiance nearly fell over. More or less we had to remind him it was the reception that was the priciest, not so much the ceremony. However we're thinking of doing a destination wedding and I know that'll drive up the price even more.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got married way back in 1985 I think I paid around $500-$600 for my dress and now its just in a box taking up space. I thought I read an article in the newspaper years ago about someone making a small quilt from a wedding dress -I always thoght that would be a cool idea. I remember I had my shoes dyed a different color so I would wear them again.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely fell in love with a dress on ebay a couple of weeks ago for only 250 euros, and the one I fell in love with a couple of years ago was 2,000 euros luckly i didnt marry Ben!!!

I am quite spontanious so you never know when im going to get married!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Yea, we were talking with our good friends on Saturday (who got married a couple of years ago) and they were saying that it cost about $21K for their wedding...$3000 was their own money. Fiance nearly fell over. More or less we had to remind him it was the reception that was the priciest, not so much the ceremony. However we're thinking of doing a destination wedding and I know that'll drive up the price even more.
I believe my wedding cost somewhere in the vicinity of 8,000, but we had our reception in my Aunt's backyard, and her neighbor catered it and her friend did my flowers, we booked my DJ almost a year in advance (so got a lower price) and my mom did some serious shopping around for a rental company (for the tables and chairs at the reception). My photographer was EXCELLENT and very reasonably priced, we so lucked out on that! My advice is to book everything waaay in advance, like my DJ, we got a discount, and really shop around for other stuff. Also, get a videographer, that's the one thing I wish we would've done, not that it matters now, but ya know
The only things my ex and i paid for was the church and the rehearsal dinner, cause his parents were too cheap to pay for anything, we even had to get his Dad's tux! Ah, memories

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our wedding is going to be somewhere around 16,000 I think. Mom and dad are paying most of it but my dress was actually the cheapest thing. $250 for the gown plus another $150 for veil, bra, slip thingy and shoes. Since it was so inexpensive we're going to do a trash the dress photo shoot back in Matt's home town after the wedding.

I do suggest you find a good reputable tailor to do any alterations though. I had mine done at the shop I bought it from (big chain) and I wish I hadn't cuz I have to re sew some of the buttons and loops on.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got married four years ago, and ours cost about $9,000 total. We had about 200 guests. (We're in the Chicago area, so that's incredibly cheap for this area.)

My in-laws paid for the reception food & beverage as their gift to us, and that accounted for about $5,000.

My parents paid for my clothing, and they gave me a $1,000 budget. I used less than $700 of it, so they paid for my niece's flower girl dress too (since my SIL was a bridesmaid their family wouldn't have to shell out for two dresses.) My dress was about $600, we made my veils for $20 (which is INCREDIBLY easy to do and a great way to save), and I wore flat ballet slippers that were around $20.

We paid for the rest, and saved money wherever we could. We splurged a bit to get a really great DJ. My sister and I did our flowers, which we ordered from a supplier online for about $300. My BIL is a photojournalist, and he did our photos as his gift to us.

My point in all this is that it's totally possible to have a really great wedding on a budget...you just have to prioritize and get help wherever you possibly can.