Look what I found in my pond today!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was out with a friend looking into the pond and he tells me he sees a snake.
I thought he was joking! But there it is...I never would have thought I'd ever get a snake!
It's not very big and doesn't seem bothered by the fish or anything else in there. It's the coolest thing! I wonder what else I might get in there.
I keep waiting for a frog to show up.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I would have FREAKED OUT...I had a big pond in my old house and we had bullfrogs in there I think...they always jumped in when I walked down there so it was hard to lay eyes on them...but I always heard them.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He/she is a prety little thing. Must mean your pond is animal-approved
Would love to see pics of it, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

Nice. How big is your pond? got a pic?
It's pretty big. I just rebuilt it last year, but don't have those pics in my computer. I'll have to take another one and post it if possible. I'll try to post one later today for sure.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't look like the description or pictures of water moccasin.. still trying to identify it.. pretty little pattern though, but I'm not overly fond of snakes, lol. The good news is, he doesn't appear to be any of the venemous species native to Texas.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a plain water snake. They will bite if handled but aren't poisonous. They also live on frogs and earth worms but not fish, or so the websites I looked at said.

All I know, harmless or not, there is no room for a snake where I am living! LOL

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I just looked it up and no it's not a moccasin. I think it's a banded water snake - non-poisonous.
From the little bit of research I did, I agree. Sure is cute!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wow thats awesome!! I dont personally like snakes but if its non-poisonous and the pond is big enough then I would let it stay.... although living on frogs? hmmm I do love frogs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who is going to try and ID it. I'll post the ID once I know. I think it most likely is a water snake, but how it found my back yard...who knows? I live in the city!

Originally Posted by huggles

wow thats awesome!! I dont personally like snakes but if its non-poisonous and the pond is big enough then I would let it stay.... although living on frogs? hmmm I do love frogs
I thought so too! I was really wanting a frog...I had one show up last year, but it left!
So I know they are around, but never dreamed of a snake! I don't mind as long as they don't eat my fish!
Although...he/she might like my tadpoles...

Ok guys....my friend just told me it's a blotched water snake! It must be a baby because it is tiny and will get up to 3 ft long!
Here is a link if you guys are interested. It is commonly mistaken for a water moccasin.

http://www.bugsinthenews.com/blotche...e%20042803.htm