TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Look what I found in my pond today!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Look what I found in my pond today! - Page 2

post #31 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks View Post
Looks like one......

http://www.kostich.com/copperhead_snake.htm

Im not a *snake* person,lol.....
It's a blotched water snake. I'm not a snake person either but I have a friend who is and if you go back a few posts I have a website posted of what it is. I was hoping for a frog, not a snake.
post #32 of 59
Well it looks very big to me from the picture. YIKES.. I hate snakes..
post #33 of 59
We have Copperheads here and .........OMG!!!! I swerve to hit the **** things when I see them in/on/or by the road.
I had a small Rat Snake by our well house last Summer, I thought it was a Copperhead.So, I killed the darn thing.Any snake around here, I will kill.
Shawn saw the Daddy/Mommy IN the well house and wouldn't let me kill it.I went back and looked for it, but it vanished.Good thing, or it would be dead too.
post #34 of 59
Most definitely not a copperhead. Easiest way to tell, most venomous North American (and else where) snakes have slit pupils, that and noticeable venom glads in the case of vipers - rattlesnakes. Non venomous have round pupils.

Cute water snake, they tend to bluff but really aren't that bad temperament wise. I had to get a large banded water snake out of a yard several years ago, the poor thing was confused by DH's (then bf) father's lawnmower. The vibrations had it spooked and it didn't know where to go.
It never tried to bite but it did try to poo on me, what they're known best for doing when scared.
post #35 of 59
Aww I wonder why people hate snakes so much. I like them.

I have no idea what kind of snake it is though.
post #36 of 59
I'm no expert, but it looks like a plain brown water snake to me If thats the case, then you probably won't see any frogs.

Oh, brown water snakes aren't venomous, but they are kind of cantankerous. It might nip if you try to pick it up.

But then again, I don't think I'd try to pick it up until I'm really sure what kind it is
post #37 of 59
I get snakes round her all the time... doesn't freak me out anymore.

Lots of pythons here and the odd cobra. Don't shoo it away, the chinese say that a visiting snake brings "ONG" (good luck)
post #38 of 59
that is awesome. and snakes eat frogs so the frog would have to be really fast and/or too big for the snake to eat...now/yet. if i had a pond my boyfriend would be seriously happy.
post #39 of 59
ewwww!! Remind me to never come visit YOU!

Looks like a Plainbelly Water Snake, ya think?
http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/tx...hrogaster.html
post #40 of 59
looks like that snake has a caught a nice supper for the month
post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcats View Post
Snakes are C R E E P Y!

There is only one snake that I like and it's a DEAD one.
Yep, that is the way that I feel too
post #42 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyKitty View Post
that is awesome. and snakes eat frogs so the frog would have to be really fast and/or too big for the snake to eat...now/yet. if i had a pond my boyfriend would be seriously happy.
You should build one! It's a wonderful experience. You get all kinds of wildlife to include tadpoles, toads, frogs, dragonflies, birds, and even little snakes. I don't think he'll be around for long. It's amazing what will come if you have a water source.
post #43 of 59
Aw, he's got a cute expression.
post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
I get snakes round her all the time... doesn't freak me out anymore.

Lots of pythons here and the odd cobra. Don't shoo it away, the chinese say that a visiting snake brings "ONG" (good luck)
So much for me visiting you anytime soon.... you better get that exterminator on the way....
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by neetanddave View Post
So much for me visiting you anytime soon.... you better get that exterminator on the way....
Hehe, she has several exterminators, I'd say, with pythons and cobras round about her way... I'm sure the rodent population is way down, lol.
post #46 of 59
Wow! I am so surprised that so many of you not only dislike/fear snakes, but, (and this really bothers me) you say that you go out of your way to kill them.
Why would you do that? While I must say, snakes sort of freak me out, I would never deliberately kill one, unless it was attacking me! Snakes, just like most creatures have a reason to be here. Just imagine if we went around killing anything and everything that we didn't like! Oh, jeepers, I think that is what we did 100-150 years ago - and think about all the critters we killed until they became extinct!
post #47 of 59
I think he's kinda cute...as long as he's not poisonous and isn't looking for a fish dinner.
post #48 of 59
Those of you who feel so strongly that snakes should be killed on sight kind of shock me. It should not surprise you then when people do horrendous things to cats "just 'cuz they feel like it" as well. All living things have their place in our world, and there is so much sadness and cruelty already, why create more or revel in it? Coexisting really isn't that difficult.

Cally
post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner View Post
Those of you who feel so strongly that snakes should be killed on sight kind of shock me. It should not surprise you then when people do horrendous things to cats "just 'cuz they feel like it" as well. All living things have their place in our world, and there is so much sadness and cruelty already, why create more or revel in it? Coexisting really isn't that difficult.

Cally
I agree. Reading the posts that seem to glory in killing just to kill kind of makes my skin crawl. Makes me want to go work at some types of snake/reptile rescue. Snakes aren't cuddly but they are part of our ecosystem, our web of life, the food chain, however you want to believe. They have an inherent right to be here just as cats, dogs, spiders or dolphins do.

As for the ol Paradise snake, wasn't he having issues of possession by the the bad guy with the pointed tail and cloven hooves?

This is the "cat site" but many people here have myriad animal interests such as dogs, turtles, fish, rabbits and so forth. I am sure there are some who not only appreciate snakes as co-dwellers on this big blue marble but as pets and sincerely care for them.
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
I get snakes round her all the time... doesn't freak me out anymore.

Lots of pythons here and the odd cobra. Don't shoo it away, the chinese say that a visiting snake brings "ONG" (good luck)
Now this makes sense!
post #51 of 59
cool! I love snakes!
post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965 View Post
I agree. Reading the posts that seem to glory in killing just to kill kind of makes my skin crawl. Makes me want to go work at some types of snake/reptile rescue. Snakes aren't cuddly but they are part of our ecosystem, our web of life, the food chain, however you want to believe. They have an inherent right to be here just as cats, dogs, spiders or dolphins do.

As for the ol Paradise snake, wasn't he having issues of possession by the the bad guy with the pointed tail and cloven hooves?

This is the "cat site" but many people here have myriad animal interests such as dogs, turtles, fish, rabbits and so forth. I am sure there are some who not only appreciate snakes as co-dwellers on this big blue marble but as pets and sincerely care for them.
Thanks to both of you for your posts. I had posted the same concern - I was shocked at the "good, let's kill a snake" attitude! I am glad that there are a few others who share my feelings! Thank you!
post #53 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnbandcats View Post
Wow! I am so surprised that so many of you not only dislike/fear snakes, but, (and this really bothers me) you say that you go out of your way to kill them.
Why would you do that? While I must say, snakes sort of freak me out, I would never deliberately kill one, unless it was attacking me! Snakes, just like most creatures have a reason to be here. Just imagine if we went around killing anything and everything that we didn't like! Oh, jeepers, I think that is what we did 100-150 years ago - and think about all the critters we killed until they became extinct!
I completely agree. Even though I totally despise and have a phobia of spiders, I know they serve a purpose, but I don't go out of my way to kill them unless they try to do something to me first. I'm too afraid to touch it in the first place.
We have people at the lake that got all excited about a snake last year at the beach/swimming area. It really pissed me off that they killed it because they "thought" (and I did quote this because they have no brains) it was a water moccasin! This is the reason why species are going extinct! Uneducated people who know nothing are destroying wildlife because they think they know something. It ended up being a totally harmless water snake that was no where near anyone. We are the ones who are bringing wildlife on the edge of extinction.

A side note...when I went to work today, I told them what I found in my pond. I got mixed reactions, but did have one ask me if I was going to kill it! I looked at her like she was crazy and asked her why would I kill it??? It's only a baby, it will leave on it's own, and it coexists in nature. I have a natural habitat for the good and the bad. I can't pick what I want in my yard! Each creature is a part of a huge cycle, once that cycle starts to break apart, you lose many of the other creatures you value, because they all depend on each other to keep the cycle going. I feel that with this attitude we will slowly lose all our wildlife.
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnbandcats View Post
Wow! I am so surprised that so many of you not only dislike/fear snakes, but, (and this really bothers me) you say that you go out of your way to kill them.
Why would you do that? While I must say, snakes sort of freak me out, I would never deliberately kill one, unless it was attacking me! Snakes, just like most creatures have a reason to be here. Just imagine if we went around killing anything and everything that we didn't like! Oh, jeepers, I think that is what we did 100-150 years ago - and think about all the critters we killed until they became extinct!
I had to add my two cents. The whole killing a snake because you don't like them makes me think of the people that kill cats because they don't like them.
post #55 of 59
I wouldn't just kill something because I don't like it. If it was something I couldn't be around, I'd find a way to relocate it somewhere instead. Cool snake!
post #56 of 59
Is it on me?
post #57 of 59
Thread Starter 
I posted a thread with pictures of my pond if any want to see it!
post #58 of 59
Oh my, that is creepy!
post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Is it on me?
I think it's multiple people.

I have to say, though, that I kill the ants that are coming into my house (but I don't kill spiders).. I can't abide the ants in my house and all over my food, the animals food, things that aren't food.. and other insects are toast if I catch them in my house (spiders stay because they get the other insects)...

Generally though, I try not to upset the equilibrium.. but that doesn't mean that if the situation wasn't right that I wouldn't remove a snake or other animal from the living. If that snake was poisonous it would be a toss up as to whether I offed it or not.

While I don't necessarily agree with it, I do think that some, like in this case with snakes, the want or desire to kill may stem from slight phobias.. so it may be a little more understandable than say... clubbing and skinning baby seals for their skin or killing elephants for their tusks, or whaling...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Look what I found in my pond today!