Am I stupid?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd like some advice. I know I have to make my own decision, but I wonder if I'm gonna regret it later.

Kenz just PM'd me some jobs she found. Well, I really like the description of two of them. Problem is, they're full time 40 hours a week. That would make college hard. I have to take Acct. I & II, Science, Lab, & a Humanities class. All my business classes are done. So, I'm essentially 5 very boring classes away from graduating.

What if I apply & am offered one of the full time jobs? One is with a company I don't know anything about as an admin. assist. The other is with the hospital as a customer service rep. Both are essentially what I am going to college to get my degree for. One has benefits listed, the other is with the hospital so I assume they have smashing benefits.

The biggest thing....if I get one of the FT jobs, I can probably afford to get my own apt! I would have Dory & Ophelia only....so I think I could find a place.

I'm going to job services tomorrow....& plan on applying for all these jobs just to apply to see where it goes. But, I need to think ahead....what would I do if I got offered a full time job? I could work school in somehow, but it would be like one class a semester. I dunno. I just never realized what jobs are out there locally! Now I'm wondering if I should go slow on college & get a full time job that will offer me experience I so desperately need & want!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are five classes away from graduating? Why would you apply for a full-time job now?

With a degree, you can apply for better-paying full-time jobs, then get your apartment, etc.

My advice is to take the classes and get your degree asap. It's always difficult at the end, but you need to see it through and finish. The degree should be your priority right now. All the rewards are a little later, you are so close!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IF you can get them and know that you will finish college (even part time) while working, I would go for it, it can be hard to get a job straight out of school and actual work experience can help.
If a future employer was to question why you cut down the number of classes per semester, they will understand that you wanted to add work experience and become more independent by getting your own place.
But if you don't think you have the will power, especially as they are boring classes, you may give up and never be able to advance without the educational qualifications.

It really depends on how much is out there and the possibility of getting a job when school ends and everyone is looking for 'graduate jobs'

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See if the company will split the cost of the remaining classes with you. some will do it, if you can keep up your GPA and agree to work there for a certain length of time.
Both of my sons are getting their Master's with their company help.
Unfortunately, a Master's is the minimum for my daughter to be able to get a job, so we are paying for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One way or another, I have to get a job. I am so broke working for my parents that it ain't even funny. And I really need the work experience so I have something else should I ever need to change jobs. I am not necesarily applying for full time jobs, but I need a job! I will take whatever I can get & arrange my classes around it if need be! I know I need to finish school. I can do it, actually, taking one class at a time makes it even easier for me to do! But....what happens if the job doesn't work out? Then I'm behind on school work and I have to find another job...

I keep thinking about the "what ifs"....

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hospital where I work offers tuition reimbursement if you are a full time employee. Most hospitals have flexible shifts that would probably allow you to continue working toward your degree. They might even make a shift for you. It certainly doesn't hurt to apply and interview. At the very least, it will give you interview experience, which is always a good thing. And it could be a job that works well with your education needs.

Go for it girlfriend! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Pookie & the girls

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not take a full time job and go to school part time. So it might take you longer to get your degree, but it's a trade off. Not everyone can afford to go to school full time. I know many nurses who work full time and take classes in the evening to work towards their degree.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Why not take a full time job and go to school part time. So it might take you longer to get your degree, but it's a trade off. Not everyone can afford to go to school full time. I know many nurses who work full time and take classes in the evening to work towards their degree.
That would be me!!! I worked full time, plus on-call as a surgical tech (sometimes 55+ hours a week) while working on my nursing degree. I'm back in school part time working on my bachelor's degree now. And, good lord, I'm going to be 48 in a couple of weeks. I'm getting too old for this.... Do it while you're young!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

You are five classes away from graduating? Why would you apply for a full-time job now?

With a degree, you can apply for better-paying full-time jobs, then get your apartment, etc.

My advice is to take the classes and get your degree asap. It's always difficult at the end, but you need to see it through and finish. The degree should be your priority right now. All the rewards are a little later, you are so close!
I tend to agree here..no sense in getting a full time job before your done school...School sucks the worst so should be completed first

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Natalie, don't you live at home? Why are you broke if you don't pay rent?
Or do you pay rent?
I don't pay rent, but I pay vet bills & food bills. I buy everything for Ophelia & Dory....on my little paycheck, that takes a lot of it! I also pay for my gas to get to campus. At almost $3 a gallon, that is eating through my check fast, too!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I don't pay rent, but I pay vet bills & food bills. I buy everything for Ophelia & Dory....on my little paycheck, that takes a lot of it! I also pay for my gas to get to campus. At almost $3 a gallon, that is eating through my check fast, too!
Hmmm, I see...

I worked 2 part time jobs while in College full time, and lived on my own and made it work...is there a way you can just get another part time job until your done school?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work for my dad(self employed). I need another job as there just isn't enough work to warrant higher pay & I need more $$. If I get any other job, then I won't be home when he needs me to be, so I would loose this job.

Basically, if I want to move out really soon, I need 2 p/t jobs or a f/t one. Either way, I will likely end up not being able to schedule around school, but IDK. There is one job that is M/T/Th, so I could do classe on W/F....but.....there is the possibilty of work on W/F when needed.

The big benefit to a full time job is moving out. And getting Ophelia out of here & into her "own home". That is one HUGE factor. I'd really like to get her away from Lily in particular.

I figure I might as well apply, see where it goes. Before I accept any job, I have to see when the classes I need are offered. I am looking at 4 classes Fall semester, & then Acct II next spring. I have to take my 5 classes over 2 semesters.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But alot people can't afford to move out until their done school...thats not too much longer for you right?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

But alot people can't afford to move out until their done school...thats not too much longer for you right?
I've got the 5 classes. It'll be this time next year, provided I've got enough saved & can find a place!

I'm going to apply to the jobs. You never know, they might not hire me. I'll just have to wait & see, right?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what you should do about these jobs, but I can answer the question in your title: NO, you are NOT stupid!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are close to graduating from COLLEGE? (Sorry, I thought you were a bit younger, LOL). If the jobs are in your field, I would apply, and finish your classes as you can - 1 or 2 at a time. I've been taking classes online for a while, and my job pays 1/2 of my tuition.

Personally, I think you are the type of person that would thrive with a better salary and your own place. And you know that it's important to finish with school!
Let us know what happens!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are too close to your degree now to quit college honey. Also- if you have a degree- your pay will be higher with it than without so that is something to think about long term. That being said it is possible to work full time and go to school full time. My first semester of college as a freshman i was working full time and taking 20 hours as a music major- not counting practice time- it was hard as all get out. It is VERY draining- if there is any way you can concentrate on school now and just work part time till you get your degree i'd go for that. BUT here's what i did that worked and you might consider it. Since your semester should be over right now- see if you can rearrange your classes for next semseter (it shouldn't be hard!) - i scheduled my classes around work and fostering. And it worked out well. Sure- it's hard and you get stressed- but it is possible. If this is something you want - you will find a way to make it work...but you owe it to yourself to finish your degree since you're sooooooo close and get that extra pay. If they offer you the full time position- see if you can arrange your classes around it. You CAN do both- but it will not be easy- this is when you sort of need to look into your heart and make the best decision for yourself
Plus -job fields are not stable and you never know how long you're going to have that full time job at one place- if you quit college now when youre soo close and don't get that degree- what happens when three years down the road you have to leave that job/find a new one- it will be harder to find one because others will have their degree in that field and might be more "qualified" based on that -it's something employers look at. So while it might seem great now- think in long term as well.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you apply to all 3 of them Natalie? I took your Acct 1 & 2 - and they SUCKED. I guess it also depends on how much you like Accounting & your prof, but I woulnd't reccomend taking it online... at ILCC, you get SO much one on one, that it really helped me taking it in person.

It doesn't hurt to apply, thats why I sent them to you. Plus, the interview experience is good- because you'll need it for your Senior Seminar class at the end of your last year. Joni had us do Interviews for jobs we found, and it was nerve wracking, but if you've got a few interviews under your belt, you'll rock and get an A!

Let us know how it goes, k? Keep your eye open for those PT jobs too, if these don't work out, with that website I sent you!

(P.S... any word on the bank job??
)