Bathing a kitten?

zeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well i got my new kitten today.
My Mom said that he smells and needs a bath tomorrow. Well i dont exactly mind, but will Tubzii mind?
It depends on the cat doesnt it, whether they like water or not?
I'm going to make sure its warm water, but is it alright to just bathe him this once? And only do it after when needed. Because i have to agree he does need a wash, hes cleaning himself but it doesnt really get rid of the smell.
The water wont be deep it'll be shallow and warm.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, glad your going to bathe your kitten!! I always bathe my cats about once a month, even tho they are indoor, they like to be freshly cleaned.

Just bathe her like you would a human baby! Use a mild unscented (handmade) if possible soap or some other mild shampoo.

O, and I know some cats hate water, but, every cat that I ever owned has been bathed.

Yes, good idea, bathe her when she is young and she will get used to it when you do it again.

I think all cats like water and a bath. They sense that the owner is scared to death to give the cat a bath, thats why they get crazy when it's bath time. I am firm with my cats, when its bath time, its bath time no matter what and they know it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info and advice

I'll try and not feel nervous and just stay firm.. he can be really wiggly but hopefully he'll be ok.
Thanks again for the advice.

Abi & Tubz

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zeline

Well i got my new kitten today.
My Mom said that he smells and needs a bath tomorrow. Well i dont exactly mind, but will Tubzii mind?
It depends on the cat doesnt it, whether they like water or not?
I'm going to make sure its warm water, but is it alright to just bathe him this once? And only do it after when needed. Because i have to agree he does need a wash, hes cleaning himself but it doesnt really get rid of the smell.
The water wont be deep it'll be shallow and warm.
I was just wondering why your new kitty (congratulations) smells. Did he get into something

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you keep him out of any drafts while drying. How old is the kitten? What does he smell like?

Usually first baths are easy - they don't know what's happening

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zeline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why he smelled.

He had a bath today, he didnt mind it at first but couldnt stop crying.. He got dried pretty quickly but seems to have forgiven me lol.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm probably too late but wanted to respond anyway. Sorry I've been slow but I've been in the middle of moving. Anyway, Some suggestions I like to give for bathing are, put a rubber mat in the bottom of the sink or tub so the kitten doesn't skid around. That is often what makes them scared more then anything. I'd use a kitten shampoo or maybe baby shampoo. Hold the kitten firmly but also be gentle. Talk to her and reassure her and keep water out of the ears and you should be fine! In my experience, most cats are fairly managable in the bath.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive had good experiance and bad ones. Hercs first bath was horrible. We had gotten fleas really really bad last summer and everything in the house was stripped bombed sprayed and cleaned like you wouldnt believe. Especially the cats. Pickles took it like a champ she was an angel just sat there. I didnt even have to hold her down. Herc on the other hand went nuts and Im extremely firm and not nervey whatsoever about giving them a wash. I had to call Dave in to help and Dave got scratched so bad he needed 8 stitches and is now petrified to be anywhere near Herc and the bathtub. What sucks for him is that if your in the shower Herc likes to sit at the edge of the tub and watch you...