Ants!!?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had them since we moved into this place. Try terro, it has a liquid form, and traps... I've found the liquid form works better than the traps, which fill up, empty out, and need replaced a lot more.. um.. terro is iffy on whether or not it's safe for animals or not. I don't have an issue with it with my cats, since they don't like sweets. It's a borax formula which some say is safe, and on the label of terro, it says not to get it in their food supply or anything. So, that's a toss up. There is another thread going somewhere about ants that has a few links, one of which to a ant killer spray that is non toxic to pets (no poisons, all natural).. I bought that but haven't had to try it yet because I'm still working on them with the terro. Who knows.. they drive me batty though. I *hate* ants.

My neighbor is like, yeah, we just let them crawl up on a paper towel and then shoosh them outside... takes a lot of trips but.. we don't like to kill them. I'm like, well, Deb, you're a better person than me. I kill em.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not yet! We get them REALLY bad in the spring
We haven't been invaded yet... I'm hoping they don't come around.

I'm still looking for something good that I can use around the boys... any tips would be awesome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor is like, yeah, we just let them crawl up on a paper towel and then shoosh them outside... takes a lot of trips but.. we don't like to kill them. I'm like, well, Deb, you're a better person than me. I kill em.

Umm yeah they die here-instantly when I see one!!
They are just annoying!!! I actually bought some of the Terro things and put them out this morning. You should see them all going into the "traps"...

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Is anyone else having problems with ANTS???

I am having them something terrible!
Speaking of which, what do you guys feel when you kill an ant that is like traveling on your kitchen table etc? do you feel like you killed someone or you don't feel anything at all?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

Speaking of which, what do you guys feel when you kill an ant that is like traveling on your kitchen table etc? do you feel like you killed someone or you don't feel anything at all?
I feel happy because its one less ant that is in my apartment. I HATE THEM!!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get too many ants for me to worry about killing them. If they want to stay alive stay out of my home! A few years ago I bought a small chocolate cake for easter and put it in a kitchen cupboard. A few days later I went to get it out and the entire surface was covered in ants
Now I put traps down as soon as there is any sign of them and it usually gets rid of them until the next year.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I feel happy because its one less ant that is in my apartment. I HATE THEM!!!
I feel extremely satisfied. Until the next one and then I'm frustrated again. Little b*st*rds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I feel extremely satisfied. Until the next one and then I'm frustrated again. Little b*st*rds.
LOL!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you talking about the sweet ants (teeny brown ones) that are attracted to food?? The terro traps seem to work the best. You need to find out how they are getting in the house. Table salt is supposed to kill ants to (Neil just read that somewhere-haven't tried it yet though). As for ants outside Diazinon products worked the best however a couple of yrs ago they took this chemical off of the market in the US (unless you have some in a cupboard somewhere!!)
There hasn't been a product developed yet that comes close to diazinon's effectiveness yet.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, there are a couple of things that work to "repel" them. Coffee grinds, pepper, vinager and water spray to disrupt their trails... any type of mint extract that you'd use for cooking will deter them...but honestly, terro works well, and if you put them where they're coming in at they'll swarm that area and then keep feeding it to them, as it runs low, as long as they're coming in. It takes about a week or two...Of course, I have seen them stop coming in but there's so many ant hills around my house that I've got like 20 farms of ants and at least it's not as bad as it was the first year we lived here. Of course, we haven't hit the summer yet... :mutter:

I hate those little things.

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We get 'em, the tiny ones. My neighbours on either side have peonies (AKA ant condos) and I swear they wander back and forth through my house between them.

And in answer to the other question, I will not kill mice, rats, snakes, or anything else considered vermin... but bugs - bugs are fair game.

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I moved into a house that has sat empty for 9 years (YA )
I have ants I am getting rid of them slowly.using terro,Just today we got a 3 carpenter ants and Mariah ,my six year granddaugther got bit by one! On her little finger,she screamed and it bleed!Poor kid. Out came the meat tenderizer , made a paste and it stopped the pain. I hate ants and yes I kill them everytime I see one! No mercy!!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are more than enough ants to go around the world a million times. Killing them is not a concern for me at all. Like cockroaches, they are survivors. If you treat them gently, they will only take advantage and take over your home.

The paper-towel trick is lame. I used Raid powder once and it worked like a charm, however shouldn't be put down around cat-zones. Also, you have to clean up the dead ants. The drops kill them to, but not permanently. I think you have to get to the Queen.

When I was young we lived in an old home that got invaded by carpenter ants. The only thing that worked was a professional fumigator. It took three fumigations to get rid of them. Don't let it get to that point.

Also, when you start to kill them, they will send worker ants out to find a better, safer spot ie. another area in your house. Act aggressively if necessary.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We get them every year. We keep ant traps between our window panes (we have to open 2 windows to get to the screen) and if we find a bunch we'll spray them with windex or something like that. That kills them and evaporates fast so we don't have to worry about it with our girls. (If someone mentioned that already I'm sorry....this is the last thread I'm checking before bed! I hope...!)