Real eggs...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found manna from heaven. Behold a REAL egg. Let me define my discovery... the egg I just ate was from a chicken that was raised in Ohio (where I'm from), on a farm, ate grass, and is fondly refered to as one of the "girls". I will never in my life go back to eggs from a carton. They just aren't going to cut it any more. It tasted like sunshine on a plate. I didn't even need to add anything to it to make it better.

Yesterday at the grocery store I met the lady who raises the chickes that laied my egg. It's nice to know that I can start a relationship with my local farmer. I think I'm going to have to hit her up for some more eggs and start baking with them. This may just be the start of a beautiful thing.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
eeh there a famer right down the road from me that sales his eggs.
that is where i stop to get mine at. they are much better.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, that's a piece of heaven, all right! We used to have such a connection, but the guy left Rob's office.
Now we occasionally get to bring home a treat when we visit Rob's family on the Island. His cousin keeps chickens -- and sometimes circumstances are right. She identifies which egg came from whom, and introduces us if we haven't met any of them. It's too long since we saw her.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree! I haven't been able to eat store-bought in years. To me, they smell like wet dog while they are cooking!

Having your own chickens is pretty easy, and the feed is cheap. They also love when you weed the garden. They make nice pets, and give lots back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I agree! I haven't been able to eat store-bought in years. To me, they smell like wet dog while they are cooking!

Having your own chickens is pretty easy, and the feed is cheap. They also love when you weed the garden. They make nice pets, and give lots back.
I've never thought about keeping them as pets... now you've got me thinking.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

That would make the 12th floor stories even more interesting.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A chicken as a pet. With your boys?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

That would make the 12th floor stories even more interesting.
Perhaps I should wait until I buy a house....

Originally Posted by gemlady

A chicken as a pet. With your boys?
Right... I'm thinking about that too. The last thing I want is terrified chickens and a wiggly butt 8-Bit trying to stalk them.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you are serious (you do need a yard), check the local laws first. We can have chickens in the city, but not roosters. And make sure they are safe from raccoons at night. They are great pets, and smarter than they are given credit!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my eggs from a friend who has both hens and ducks, and they are heavenly. She has some chickens that are pets and some that are part of hte farm. She keeps wanting me to take some ( right now she has two hens sitting on eggs) but I keep saying that I can't take on any more animals at the moment!

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I LOVE farm raised eggs. They taste so good. My FH's parents keep chickens, and we also buy them from a local good food store.

I'd keep them, but FH says absolutely not. He hates chickens.
That actually goes for all birds.... but maybe I'll bring him around some day.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one of those things i really miss about my old farm when i was little- all of our wonderful chickens and the fresh eggs they'd lay!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have found manna from heaven. Behold a REAL egg. Let me define my discovery... the egg I just ate was from a chicken that was raised in Ohio (where I'm from), on a farm, ate grass, and is fondly refered to as one of the "girls". I will never in my life go back to eggs from a carton. They just aren't going to cut it any more. It tasted like sunshine on a plate. I didn't even need to add anything to it to make it better.

Yesterday at the grocery store I met the lady who raises the chickes that laied my egg. It's nice to know that I can start a relationship with my local farmer. I think I'm going to have to hit her up for some more eggs and start baking with them. This may just be the start of a beautiful thing.
DW and I regularly eat "free range" eggs for ethical reasons but this does indeed sound like you have found heaven!

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just finally started eating "fresh" eggs. I've had chickens for years now and have been scared to have the eggs. I don't know why...I guess I was just too used to the white ones from the store. Now that I have finally taken the plunge, I love 'em! Sooo creamy! Makes me appreciate my crazy birds a bit more now!

Oh and I have 5 barn kitties who aren't even interested in the chickens. Those hens are a bit bigger than any of the cats want to take on!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
The ones in cartons tend to be alot bigger for obvious reasons (the chickens get stuffed with food and hormones). Tristans family has about 35-40 hens and roosters, and even though the eggs are little, they have a nicer taste. I dont really know how to desribe it, but they are just really good.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like the *real egg*.....ewwwww something about the yolk to me is gross.
I'm glad it was so good for you though.

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lookingglass;1760825from a chicken that was raised in Ohio (where I'm from) said:
This sounds like my mom, except she lives in Oregon! Her girls are spoiled and happy too. (She even buys them canteloup and watermelon in the summer as treats.) It is nice to support chickens that don't suffer in factory farms as too many do!