trying to switch to adult dry from kitten ..

sanboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she has been eating NUTRO kitten for the last year ... i slowly was switching her to ADULT nutro .. 75 / 25 split .. and everything was fine .. then once we got to 50/50 diahrrea ... and lots of it ..

so i went back to kitten and the stool started to get back to normal . its been a week back on 100 percent kitten and its normal ..

we just went in for the 1 year checkup and the vet said she is doing fine . everything sounds good , all blood tests came back good , she feels good .. good weight .. and so on ..

she is about 13 months old now and its time to switch to adult food ..

should i just try the nutro adult again .... i really want to stick with nutro because of the help with the " odor "

last time we started we tried OCEANFISH FLAVOR .. would you try that again .. or get a different flavor ??????????

and is she starts diahrea again .. should i stop or just push on . .and hope that it starts to be normal ..

wish she could just keep eating the kitten .. LOLL

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had the same issue .. with my Zoey hense why she eats the kitten at age three ...

Zoey is trying COre by Wellness and she like s the mix ...lol

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sanboy

she has been eating NUTRO kitten for the last year ... i slowly was switching her to ADULT nutro .. 75 / 25 split .. and everything was fine .. then once we got to 50/50 diahrrea ... and lots of it ..

so i went back to kitten and the stool started to get back to normal . its been a week back on 100 percent kitten and its normal ..

we just went in for the 1 year checkup and the vet said she is doing fine . everything sounds good , all blood tests came back good , she feels good .. good weight .. and so on ..

she is about 13 months old now and its time to switch to adult food ..

should i just try the nutro adult again .... i really want to stick with nutro because of the help with the " odor "

last time we started we tried OCEANFISH FLAVOR .. would you try that again .. or get a different flavor ??????????

and is she starts diahrea again .. should i stop or just push on . .and hope that it starts to be normal ..

wish she could just keep eating the kitten .. LOLL
When Persi hit one year old, I started the switch from kitten to adult food but I did it VERY slowly. Day 1: 10% adult, 90% kitten. I increased the adult food by 10% each day for ten days until he was eating 100% adult food. He never seemed to notice the difference!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would try a different flavor this time, and make the switch very, very slowly.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go for a chicken-based adult food. She will gain too much from being kept on kitten food at this age. I'm assuming she is spayed?

Try Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul or Royal Canin adult foods. They are chicken based.

I try to stay away from almost all fish-based foods - canned or dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sanboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i was thinking the same thing to stick with the CHICKEN based food ..

but the NUTRO helps so much with the odor that i was trying to stick with it

when i first started feeding her Nutro within a couple weeks i could tell the smell was much much less .. thats really the main reason i was hoping to stick with it

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I fed my guy Nutro Kitten (roasted chicken flavor). At age one (2 months ago), I switched him to Nutro Adult (same flavor - roasted chicken). No problems whatsoever.

The only thing I noticed is that the kibble is much larger.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I would go for a chicken-based adult food. She will gain too much from being kept on kitten food at this age. I'm assuming she is spayed?

Try Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul or Royal Canin adult foods. They are chicken based.

I try to stay away from almost all fish-based foods - canned or dry.
Amazingly you offered up to foods with MORE fish

i was thinking the same thing to stick with the CHICKEN based food ..

but the NUTRO helps so much with the odor that i was trying to stick with it

when i first started feeding her Nutro within a couple weeks i could tell the smell was much much less .. thats really the main reason i was hoping to stick with it
Do you have access to california natural??? or sensible choice??? both are just chn and rice/flax ... cal natural has a good protein fat profile...

Or be like me and ask your vet ... Mine read and double checked the % s in th kitten and said okay this is fine

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sharky,

I just read the ingredients of RC Special 33 and Beauty & Fit (that I use) - BOTH are chicken based - not fish.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sharky,

I just read the ingredients of RC Special 33 and Beauty & Fit (that I use) - BOTH are chicken based - not fish.
well the formulas have changed
... many of the RC has lots of fish and fish oils...

sanboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
question .. does the NUTRO MAX CAT ... have the same ODOR eleminating effect ????? that the regular NUTRO COMPLETE

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I use mainly Max Cat (unless I have a great coupon) -- I do not notice any litterbox odor but I think the type of litter you use makes a huge difference too (I use Fresh Step scoopable). It also depends on how well your cat covers his business (mine does it well).

Like I said, the only thing about Max Cat adult (chicken flavor) is the kibble are quite large.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

question .. does the NUTRO MAX CAT ... have the same ODOR eleminating effect ????? that the regular NUTRO COMPLETE
odur reduction in Max is not quite what natural choice is

sanboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when you say NOT as good as regualar ..

are we talkign a HUGE noticeable difference ??

guess i could try it and go from there ..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

when you say NOT as good as regualar ..

are we talkign a HUGE noticeable difference ??

guess i could try it and go from there ..
I noticed.. I would say about 10%....