Merricks

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't wish to hijack the thread this topic got going under, so am starting a new thread.

I asked for a pm of how to search to find what was refered to as Merrick using 4D meats (meats from animals dead before slaughter).

It was suggested by a tcs member that I do a search under Merrick and Rendering Plants. This brings up that a rendering plant Hereford Bi Products has the same address as Merrick Pet Foods.

My thoughts...a family can own more than one operation, and not have the two necessarily be connected. Plus...one food company describes that rendered meats and fats are commonly listed as chicken meal, meat meal, and meat or poultry "by-product meal" on the ingredients portion of a pet food label.

Do I believe this means that all "meal" is composed of our pets and diseased parts that have been chemically altered? No.

I will write to Merricks, though by now, they must have had this question asked of them a bazillion times. I hope for a frank and complete answer that they will allow me to post here.

I would hate to see a company with a good reputation and innovative products damaged due to inaccurate assumptions. I want proof before I will believe something like this. A common address does not mean they are connected, they can be seperate aspects of their business(es).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will send you the links... I did the search on my old puter and nothing transferred ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I will send you the links... I did the search on my old puter and nothing transferred ...
Jennifer, that's okay. Someone else sent me their search terms, and honestly, I don't wish to argue with anyone. What I do want is the truth, and to not see Merrick's reputation questioned if it should not be.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have links disputing( not argueing you know I like INFO
...Please send.. I still use Merrick products and would like to get a yukky pic outa my head if it should be

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

If you have links disputing( not argueing you know I like INFO
...Please send.. I still use Merrick products and would like to get a yukky pic outa my head if it should be
I think it's time not for links, but for a direct reply from the company...I will do my best to get one that they will permit me to quote here. It may take some time, I am sure they are under so much pressure to respond to concerned pet owners questions about their foods as they look for new foods not recalled to feed, and I am also sure this is a long standing accusation/rumor. I think it would only be beneficial for them if it's a positive answer, to be allowed to post it on this public forum. It would then eventually become a link that would be found during future internet searches on this topic.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I think it's time not for links, but for a direct reply from the company...I will do my best to get one that they will permit me to quote here. It may take some time, I am sure they are under so much pressure to respond to concerned pet owners questions about their foods as they look for new foods not recalled to feed, and I am also sure this is a long standing accusation/rumor. I think it would only be beneficial for them if it's a positive answer, to be allowed to post it on this public forum. It would then eventually become a link that would be found during future internet searches on this topic.
Pat

Your a GEM ...

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TCS Mods if this is against the rules delete the link. I have no idea what is and not allowed as far as links.

Ok so I have heard about Merricks and the rendering connection. I have done several searches using different key words. The last search I did I should the owners name followed by FDA and this is what I found. Its a PDF page with a letter from owner to a senator. I won't even pretend to understand everything in the letter. Anyways here is the link: (mods if link is against the rules please delete I don't wanna get into (or ya'll into) any trouble:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/Comme...021ANPR-15.pdf

Another link:
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/DOCKETS/dai...00033-vol7.pdf
Read first paragraph this company is related to merrick.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

TCS Mods if this is against the rules delete the link. I have no idea what is and not allowed as far as links.

Ok so I have heard about Merricks and the rendering connection. I have done several searches using different key words. The last search I did I should the owners name followed by FDA and this is what I found. Its a PDF page with a letter from owner to a senator. I won't even pretend to understand everything in the letter. Anyways here is the link: (mods if link is against the rules please delete I don't wanna get into (or ya'll into) any trouble:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/Comme...021ANPR-15.pdf

Another link:
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/DOCKETS/dai...00033-vol7.pdf
Read first paragraph this company is related to merrick.
I have tried multiple times to get the first link to work, just get an error. However, I had read this letter previously. It has some interesting points, as does the second note you have a link to...one point is the amount of bse testing done at rendering plants. Anyhoo...I wish they were more specific..how is what is used labelled in pet food? Can one tell i.e. would it always be listed as by-products, or meat meal etc? And if you don't see that listed, does that mean there should be no concerns there are rendered products in a particular food?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be very interested in what you hear from Merrick Pat. The local-ish pet store just began carrying Merrick again & had them on sale 2 for 1....so I stocked up.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you here from Merricks yet? I'd like to get this food but I am not for the reason of the rendering plant. If I can find it is safe i'd like to start feeding it.