~2 Change the Name, Or NOT change the name...that is the Question?~

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~Im babysitting..well WAS babysitting my friend..who raises Yorkies...one of her male dogs Buster. I too have a Yorkie...whose name is Abby. My question is how do you go about changing a dogs name and at what age is it simply 2 much trouble to do so. Problem is his name is Libertys Sweet Bartylls but her husband could never pronounce Bartyll so they just started calling him Buster. I HATE the name Buster. I have never liked it and I hope that he is young enough to change it.~

~Question is how long will it take for him to know a new name? Should I stick with another B name so it will be easier for him to adjust to the new name...or should I just accept the fact he has my most hated name in the world??~

~I do rescue work so I am used to some dogs coming in without names but normally all the adult dogs that come to me have names...just the younger ones sometimes dont. Buster is about a yr old so is he too old to go changing it?~

~PS Does anybody have any unique names that FIT a majestic Yorkie?~

~I didnt name Abby...but she is older and knows her name VERY well. I actually like Bentley and Beamer...but I want to hear how creative you people can get. I want something that MATCHES his look and prissy personality but something BOYISH 2.~

oogieone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think if you call him another name he will be able to change...I mean I call my cat Onyx, "Boober" on occasion, kind of like a nickname and he still knows I am talking to him...Here are some English B names for you... I hope you like them...

Barclay
Baxter
Beardsley
Benton
Borden
Bradford
Brewster

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could change the name, but it could present some confusion to the dog for a while. How about "Bart"? It would be more like a nickname, but it still bares resemblance to his original name...perhaps it's close enough that he'll pick up on it faster?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was always told to change names this way .....

Say you want to call him Bradford (or whatever name you choose) you would call him Buster Bradford for a bit, getting him use to it then slowly using only Bradford.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I was always told to change names this way .....

Say you want to call him Bradford (or whatever name you choose) you would call him Buster Bradford for a bit, getting him use to it then slowly using only Bradford.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!
That is a great suggestion!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~We have decided to just call him his first original name...Bartyll...pronounced Bar-Tell I dont know WHERE the name came from or what it means but he does know and come to Buster or Bartyll. My kids think it sounds "FANCY" so we will keep it at that. Dont want to confuse the guy no more than I HAVE to. I just hate the name BUSTER!~

~NOW on another note...does anybody know what Bartyll or Bartel is? Somebody told me the breeder named him and his brother after something...they thought it was a wine...because his name is Bartyll and they named his brother James...as in Bartyll and James...but I find NOTHING about this. ALSO I know that Bartel is the leading making in HARLEYS!~

~So if you find any info...or know where this name maybe came from please fill me in~