Foods for UTI's

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I cannot be of help, but I was wondering this as well!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutro Max cat adult and Max cat lite

Purinas urinary health in Pro plan and One

Those are certified for UTI health ... Many others claim to be

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dunno where Sharky is, but she would be telling you about Nutro Max Cat Adult Roasted Chicken for one. There is also Wysong Uretic which is designed for urinary health, but can be fed to healthy cats as well.

I"m sure she will be in to help you out soon.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Nutro Max cat adult and Max cat lite

Purinas urinary health in Pro plan and One

LOL.... I knew you must be around somewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Are there specific ingredients I should be looking for? What makes a food UTI certified?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are there specific ingredients I should be looking for?

DL Methothione( spelling??).... cranberry powder ,,, if a chicken formula corn or corn gluten

.085/.09 Magnesium

.9 phos and cal max

What makes a food UTI certified?

ALOT of testing .... by a THIRD party ... it is quite$$$ thus many formulas that may be great cant put for UTI health on the label ....

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm looking on Nutro's site and I don't see any mention of any official UTI certification.

I'm also looking at the ingredients for the Nutro Max Cat, and can't help but be unimpressed. Pretty much everything after the first ingredient I wouldn't be thrilled to feed my cat, especially with all the recalls regarding grains.

Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Rice, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Ground Whole Wheat.

I guess more of the answer I'm looking for is why wouldn't a typical premium food like Felidae chicken + rice be good for UTI? Based on your previous reply, it's a chicken formula but with no corn. Why is the corn important? It does have cranberries in it, so that's a plus. Magnesium is 0.095%, a little higher than you mentioned. Calcium was a little higher at 1%, and phosphorous was good at 0.9%. Is there anything else bad about a food like this for UTI's? Are those analysis numbers really that bad?

I'm asking because our vet today (whom I was not particularly impressed with), recommended putting Inka on Medi-Cal's preventive diet for life. One of the reasons I was not impressed with him was that he seemed very set that Medi-Cal and Science Diet were the "best of the best". His words, not mine. Anyways, I can't wait for Inka to get over her bladder infection, but does the cost have to be feeding her a sub-par diet for life? That would be like finding out that french fries could cure people with chronic allergies. Sure, the allergies could be cured, but at what price to the rest of your health?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just getting really frustrated with all this.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No issue....

ANY bag that has a helps maintain UTI health on the bag was tested and found to help with it ... It is as I mentioned costly to do that is why evan Nutro only tested those two formulas ....

http://www.nutroproducts.com/mcgcarc.asp

Benefits of MAX Cat Gourmet Classics Adult Roasted Chicken:

For Cats 1 Year or Older
Real Chicken Protein roasted for great taste
Natural Ingredients with vitamins & minerals
Improves Skin & Coat Health guaranteed
Helps Maintain Urinary Tract Health lowers urinary pH - low magnesium that is what you want to see

http://www.purinaone.com/products_cat_uth.asp

• Helps Maintain Urinary Tract Health by Reducing Urinary pH • Provides Low Dietary Magnesium

http://www.proplan.com/products/Urin...th_DryCat.html
Urinary Tract Health
Helps maintain urinary tract health by reducing urinary pH and providing low dietary magnesium

Note the different wording
http://www.canidae.com/cats/cat_and_kitten/dry.html

Benefits
Human Grade – Chicken, Turkey, Lamb and Herring
10 Skin & Coat Conditioners
Balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty Acids
Guaranteed Enzyme Activity
Cranberries for Urinary Tract Health
Essential Taurine Promotes Vision, Cardiac and Reproductive Health
Antioxidant Vitamins and Amino Acid Chelated Minerals
Low Ash and Magnesium

With chicken corn or corn gluten(I prefer the gluten evan in light of recalls)balences some of the calcium mag and phos ... the wheat also aid s in it .. you will note all three of the UTI tested formulas have wheat and corn or corn gluten

It is complicated ... I do have homemade recipes for UTI and crystal issues ... but they have tofu for a base ... I have gone thru this with my vet and she said DL methothine is important as is cal / mag/ and phos levals in DRY... Now wet is a similiar but easier one

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It is complicated ... I do have homemade recipes for UTI and crystal issues ... but they have tofu for a base ... I have gone thru this with my vet and she said DL methothine is important as is cal / mag/ and phos levals in DRY... Now wet is a similiar but easier one
Well I'm definitely not looking to go homemade. What if I leaned more towards the wet food? What should I be looking for?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mag .022 /.025%

cal and phos is seldom on a wet ...

dl methothine ( spelling)

NOT FISH BASED or fish heavy ...

I just got a link to open and SERENGETTI is NOT uti helpful by the #s ... the total ash is thou

opiebopie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just started opie on Royal Canine Urinary SO

http://www.royalcanin.us/

ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet™ feline URINARY SO 30™ and ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet™ feline URINARY SO™ IN GEL are complete and balanced diets for adult cats that have been specifically designed to ensure the production of a urine undersaturated with struvite and with a level of calcium oxalate saturation at which spontaneous homogeneous crystallization will not occur. This is achieved through the production of a large volume of moderately acidic, dilute urine and controlled magnesium, calcium, and oxalate levels.

For cats with or at risk of developing feline lower urinary tract disease
Dry format:
Dissolve pure struvite uroliths
Helps prevent the formation of struvite uroliths
Helps minimize the risk of formation of calcium oxalate
Helps minimize the risk of formation of brushite uroliths
Canned format:
Dissolve pure struvite uroliths
Helps prevent the formation of struvite uroliths
Helps minimize the risk of formation of calcium oxalate uroliths
Helps minimize the risk of formation of brushite uroliths
Aids in the management of idiopathic cystitis, which may present with the following signs:
Hematuria, dysuria, stranguria, pollakiuria
Inappropriate urination
Contraindications: Concurrent use of urinary acidifiers

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

Well I'm definitely not looking to go homemade. What if I leaned more towards the wet food? What should I be looking for?
Sharky already gave you the numbers and some good info.

I'll just say that I'm a big believer in a wet diet for UTI / crystal issues. If it's do-able and Inka will eat the wet, then I would eliminate the dry from her diet.

I'm not real impressed with the overall results of cranberries for cats. Some swear by it...but from what I have seen and read, they're of more benefit to dogs and humans. Felidae's a good food, but I don't put much stock in the berry department.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much wet food do you feed a cat during a day, and how many feedings? I'll definitely have to start looking at what I can find around here for the big cans.

I know it's been said a million times around here, but I find it so frustrating that healthy foods and prescription foods seem to be mutually exclusive.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say a rough average of .75oz per lb of body weight, per day. Older and/or less active cats, sometimes less. My 9yr old 12lb cat maintains his weight on about 6oz / day. My 1 year old 8lb girl eats 8oz a day, and maintains...although I expect her kitten sized appetite will slow down some soon. So there are some variances depending on the cat.

The average meals per day ... 2-3. Mine get 3 but a lot of people do 2.

Some stores will order the foods you want if they don't have them on the shelf. Sometimes that means you have to buy a case, but not always. A lot of people like to order their food online, but I avoid that if I can...local prices have been much lower for me than online ones. Some of the foods I've used in big (13oz) cans would be Wellness, EVO, Innova, California Natural, Felidae, Eagle Pack, and Nature's Variety. My cats strongly prefer the Wellness and the EVO but they'll eat the others reasonably well.

Prescription foods have their purpose, and they can be a real blessing for some cats. Sometimes, there's not a "cookie cutter" solution to a problem, though. It's all very confusing, I know.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Felidae's a good food, but I don't put much stock in the berry department.
From my personal experience...I was feeding my kitties Cat Chow for several years. I then switched to Felidae 'cuz it has much better ingredients than Cat Chow. After having my 4 house cats on it for roughly a year, one of my boys developed bad crystals and a UTI. I would have to guess that the food caused it, but of course I can't know for sure. I don't think Felidae is a good choice for urinary issues...cranberries or not. This is just my experience.