4 entangled kittens

morpheuslaughin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it seems that 4 of the 6 kittens the stray queen gave birth to in my garden yesterday morning are entangled in a gordian knot of umbilical cord, faecal matter and hair. I have done all i can to clean up the mess, but without drastic action there seems absolutely no way to seperate the poor little fella's. I am absolutely distraught and feel completely useless. I do not know what to do next. Isn't severing of the umbilical cord something the mother should do? i only ask because the mum herself, is probably still a kitten, of no more than 6 months of age.

any advice greatly appreciated

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh dear! This isn't good at all! OK, first, remember to breathe, be as calm as you can and let's see if we can work this out ...

Can you put your hands on and around these kittens without Momma flippin' out? If not, then I am completely out of ideas on what to do here other than to contact a local rescue or shelter with someone who has more experience in matters pertaining to ferals than I am ... if you do, then maybe we can get them untangled.

You mentioned that cords are stretched and bellies are being pulled ... this can result in an umbilical hernia. Is there enough stretched cord for you to follow it with your hand and see who is twisting it? Try as best as you can to put some slack on it so you can get enough to cut it about an inch to an inch and a half away from the body. Then remove that kitten. Working slowly and trying to get as much slack as you can on each kitten, repeat that process until you have gotten everyone untangled.

Can you do this?

evinea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would start with one kitten at a time.

Remove the sack from their faces if it is not done already.

Pinch the cord about 3-5 mil (1/2 inch) from the surface and then cut. Remove the baby and give to mum.

I am keeping this short as you need to start rapidly.

Amy

evinea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mum is going to get nervous as they squeel so give her a baby to clean up when you detach them from the cord.

Dont worry about any blood coming out.....and try to use alcohol to disinfect the sissors.

evinea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the mum is not there, put the baby on a towel and dont worry about it at this minute.

You will want to worry later, because they will need to be warmed.

evinea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Remember to breath!!!

If any of the babies survive, you will need to make sure they are warm. The cold is what normally kills most new born kittens.

The second thing you will need to do is to feed them. I am not sure where you are located, but in America there are Emergency Vet services. You can call them and ask for a feeding tubes (I can give you directions later) and kitten formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morpheuslaughin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you guys for all your feedback and comments. I was in great distress and starting to panic as the kittens could only feed one at a time and were obviously in great distress themselves.

All kittens are now seperated and back with mum, feeding happily. I did the best job i could, i was able to seperate one with enough slack that he/she has a bit of cord left, with the others i had no choice but to just cut straight through the horrendous knot, luckily it did the trick and they all came free without any distress to the lil 'uns!

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew! well done you!

Hope mum cat and babies are doing fine.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh what a wonderful thing you did, That was so kind of you to care enough to be of help. I hope all goes well for all of them.. And Congratulations for doing a great job and for caring most of all