Do you collect rainwater to give your cats?

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a lovely downpour the other day and I had the brilliant (
) idea to collect some as a treat for the cats to drink. A couple of the cats love it and the rest don't seem to care whether they drink that or their normal water.

I wanted to ask, does rainwater contain chemicals that I should be worried about? I thought it would be OK as cats like to drink from puddles and streams etc.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scientifically speaking, I don't know for sure about the chemicals, etc.

I do know that I put fresh tap water outside everyday for some cats, but I always see them drinking from the water that the birds and squirrels drink (which is basically rainwater).
Maybe it tastes better.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I don't really know - but my cats always have a drink of it in our garden when we have a rainfall - I have spotted Pepsi drinking water from the little drip trays under my plants pots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should add that many, many people here in Western Australia have rainwater tanks, so I guess it's safe to drink.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here in the States, I am not so sure this is a good idea. The incidence of acid rain due to the pollution in the air is very high in and around metropolitan areas ... high enough that it eats little pits in the glass on our cars' windshields.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think there woukl be as many chemicals in rain water as there is in "pure" bottled water! It's wonderful to wash your hair in,too!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

We had a lovely downpour the other day and I had the brilliant (
) idea to collect some as a treat for the cats to drink. A couple of the cats love it and the rest don't seem to care whether they drink that or their normal water.

I wanted to ask, does rainwater contain chemicals that I should be worried about? I thought it would be OK as cats like to drink from puddles and streams etc.
That may be a brilliant idea, I do not know
I give my kitties filtered water from the fridge filter. The key here is to change that fridge filter! So many people forget to do this and the water actually becomes contaminated after time (years). They also like the cool water!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Here in the States, I am not so sure this is a good idea. The incidence of acid rain due to the pollution in the air is very high in and around metropolitan areas ... high enough that it eats little pits in the glass on our cars' windshields.

Maybe ok in Aus, but definitely not ok in the USA.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rain water is filthy! It picks up pollutants from the air, and the water isn't at all fresh. It's comprised of water that evaporates into the air, regardless of the source, and then falls back to the ground.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't drink rainwater nor feed it to my cats, it picks up pollutants and bacteria in the air and carries it to the ground. I don't drink bottled water either, who knows where it comes from, China?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Javern

I wouldn't drink rainwater nor feed it to my cats, it picks up pollutants and bacteria in the air and carries it to the ground. I don't drink bottled water either, who knows where it comes from, China?
Exactly..

Rainfall PH is ACIDIC thus I wouldnt drink it ,.... if you age it , then you can use it for an aquarium but I wouldnt drink it or let my girls drink it

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In NSW perhaps the whole of Aust. we are being encouraged to install rainwater tanks. I know that it's advised not to drink it, at least in the capital cities because of pollution. It's not like it was when I was a kid & we had a tank at our holiday house where the water was beautiful & you couldn't beat a nice cup of tea from tank water. My mother-in-law has had a rainwater tank for at least 15-20 years on the NSW Central Coast. I tried her water to have memories of my childhood, but the water wasn't as I remembered it.
I wouldn't trust
giving it to my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about stray/feral cats (and many other animals) that drink from puddles, containers, creeks, streams etc?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I should add that many, many people here in Western Australia have rainwater tanks, so I guess it's safe to drink.
You have to put something in the tanks to make the water safe, I think it's chlorine.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What about stray/feral cats (and many other animals) that drink from puddles, containers, creeks, streams etc?
I cant say I would guess after a while they get used to it ...streams and creeks have there own natural filtration( humans try but dont come close to mimicing it in a aquarium enviornment)

Originally Posted by missymotus

You have to put something in the tanks to make the water safe, I think it's chlorine.
that would make it "safe " but ther are some easier on you and enviornment ways

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't collect rainwater, no need to (i have a toxic thumb, so i don't have any planters on the balcony). my mom used to collect rainwater, and my grandparents did on their farm too. as far as i knew, they only used it for the garden.

i use water from our pur pitcher for us and the cats to drink.