The kitchen remodel is done!! (pic heavy warning)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We started this project 6 months ago. Here is the finished product:

Here's what this looked like before we started:

Here's what it looked like somewhere in the middle. Note the large gaping holes in the wall and this was the middle of December:

You game for more before, during and after pics?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Amy - it is absolutely gorgeous. But it looks like you had to go through a lot of pain to get there. Are you happy with it?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a beautiful kitchen!! I'm sure we are all going to be

Man, If I had that kitchen, I would cook!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the old area before new kitchen:

And now - the wall with the patio door was removed and the house extended over the patio that used to be there. There is a vaulted ceiling near the new windows. I made a big mistake with the yellow paint and will be painting it a more subdued color in the very near future:

This is what the original kitchen looked like:

It is now a utility room and a closet:

This used to a passway between the original eating area and the front hallway:

It's changed a bit (huge double floor to ceiling pantry):

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG what a beautiful kitchen! Can I come and live with you? I volunteer to cook for you every day!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I owe you before and after pictures of the dining room and the outside. I'll take those in the morning.

Here is the MESS that we lived with in the last 6 months. The kids had fun with all the boxes and new things to climb on, so I guess it wasn't all that bad.

We had the dining room and some of the old kitchen in the living room for the duration. The plastic you see on the ceiling was from when they redid the dining room ceiling and yes, that is a washer sitting in the dining room (front of pic):

And we cooked on our sun porch:

And Eightball landed inside the furnace once (he crawled thru the a return vent whose cover was accidentally left off), and the ceiling a few times. He was the only cat mishap we had in 6 months:

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

WOW! Your kitchen is GORGEOUS!!! Is that Muddy I see lounging in the completed room?

I'd love to see more pics!
Yes that is Muddy. The porcelain floor is a magnet for the black critters in the house now that it is warming up.

Thank you - I absolutely love it but am exhausted beyond belief right now.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow - by the time I got thru posting the pics, I see a lot of responses!!

Thank you all! I'm proud to say that my hubby and I did the entire design ourselves. We started with a block of rooms that didn't work well together and just started knocking out walls and ceilings, putting in new walls, picking out things that we weren't sure would work together.

The cabinets are made of ash but stained a red oak color. The counter is engineering quartz. The floor is porcelain and the back splash is Mexican travertine. We picked the floor not only to be completely water resistant, but to hide dirty paw marks (and it's working very well). The windows went in with the cats and dogs in mind - the birds hang out outside of them. We'll add a cat perch by the windows so that they can look out with ease.

The bar counter by the windows was officially named "The Cat Walk" the day it went in. We decided to allow them on that part of the counter but not anywhere else. It's Koko's favorite spot in the house (she's black and its cool stone).

Yup, this is a dream kitchen and will be my one shot in life at having one. I think we done good!!

(and I watch too many home remodeling shows)

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is lovely. I especially like the way the colours of the units and the floor work together. I hope to post pix of mine next week - the cornices and plinths have still to be fixed in place. But we all had breakfast in it for the first time this morning, much to the confusion of certain furkids.