I am scared to get Cancer

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Skin cancer runs in my family, my grandma died from it in 4 short months after she was diagnosed a few years back.. I was really stupid last year and went tanning for the whole summer.

I developed alot of new moles, and although they don't look weird, I have never had moles before.

I just read an article about a 23 year old girl that already had numerous skin cancer spots removed...and I find myself freaking out

I feel like I was already pegged to get skin cancer because I am so fair skinned and have had many very extreme sun burns in my life..and then the stupid cherry on the top of tanning last year for probably half the year.

I think during my next medical, I am going to really have a serious chat with my doctor..I am very worried

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Talking to your doctor is the wisest thing. He/she can tell you what to look for and if there is anything you can do to mitigate. 1st thing is to start wearing sunscreen all of the time, if you aren't already. Eat healthy with a lot of fresh fruits and veggies.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a good idea to get your skin checked out by a dermatologist, but you shouldn't freak out too much.

Usually, the moles to worry about are the size of pencil erasers or bigger, and you are very young and that's a big plus on your side. If you stop the tanning now, and use sunscreen and hats, your skin will look much nicer and less wrinkly when you are older.

My dermatologist said my moles are tiny (about 1/8" across and smaller), and nothing to worry about. I'll bet it's the same with you. Get it checked out for your peace of mind, but don't stress over it.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That would probably be a good idea Natalie. It can't hurt to start tracking your moles now to see if any changes occur.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Something I just thought of, you can start taking pictures of your moles. Be sure they are dated. Then that way, you can tell if something is changing.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, you made some mistakes... but you've seen the light now, and that's great! And since you're concerned, don't wait for the next doctor appointment... go see a dermatologist now for a full skin check. They'll map anything that looks like it needs watching, so next time they'll know if changes have occurred, and they can catch it while it's easy to cure.

My father's skin was ruined by sun exposure as a pilot in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, and also by exposure to radiation and Agent Orange. He's had lots of skin cancers removed, and I even observed the surgeries for two of them. His dermatologist sees him every four months, just to keep on top of things.

The whole key is to catch it early. So go ahead and make an appointment! Once you've taken action, you can stop spending energy on worry, and you'll feel so much better.

Hoping all will be well!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a dermatologist and go once a year. Skin cancer runs in my family too, my great grandma died of skin cancer that spread up her spine, my grandma has had it more times than I can count, my mom had it when I was little... I have had moles since I was like 6, and I was coated in SPF 3000 every five minutes.

It's nothing to be scared of, but it is something to be overly cautious about! No more tanning, you know! But your skin can heal if you prevent any more damage. Also, if they do find anythign remotely suspicious it isn't that bad to have them removed and biopsied.

Watch for: irregular borders, different colors, growing, scabbing/bleeding, and large size. Size os only one indication, you can have large healthy moles and small dangerous ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if dermatologists are covered by OHIP...Tracy, Eithne? Does anyone from Ontario know?

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everything everyone has said is pretty on target.
Go see a dermatologist (vs. primary care physician) if you can; they're specially trained for it, and can make a "map" of your body so that they can observe for changes from year to year.

Here's a webpage from the American Academy of Dermatologists w/ helpful tips for self-exam (not meant to replace a visit to the Derm) & some basic facts:

http://www.aad.org/public/Parentskid...ancerABCDs.htm

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
take the steps that you need to protect yourself. see the doc, wear sun block, and try not get to burned. But in the long run we onlyi have limited control over it, so do what you can, and try not to worry to much about it HUG.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know it is as long as it is for medical and not cosmetic reasons (I would think all cancer type treatments / visits would be).

A coworker (who is much older than us!) has had some treatments for precancerous cells and that is covered.

It runs in my family too so wearing SPF 70 has been drilled into my head since I was little, but then I got some sunburn today, wearing a lower sunblock!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Same here. I'm pasty. Grandpa died of skin cancer. Dad will likely die of skin cancer. I never tan.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom had to have several moles removed on Wednesday that they suspected to be cancerous (thankfully they were not). I do not think ANYONE needs to go to tanning beds/lounge around in the sun anymore with all the research out there now a days. I wear sunscreen every single day to try and prevent skin cancer. I have very fair skin and just do not think it's worth it to chance it. I used to LIVE at the tanning bed when i was younger.....sooo stupid! i'm hoping it doesn't come back to haunt me later. I wisened up and started to wear sunscreen daily. I also go to the dermatologist once a year (more if needed) to make sure my skin looks normal and doesn't show any signs of damage/cancer. If you're worried about those new moles- have your dermatologist give you a once over
oh yeah and WEAR SUNSREEEN!!!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

As far as I know it is as long as it is for medical and not cosmetic reasons (I would think all cancer type treatments / visits would be).

A coworker (who is much older than us!) has had some treatments for precancerous cells and that is covered.

It runs in my family too so wearing SPF 70 has been drilled into my head since I was little, but then I got some sunburn today, wearing a lower sunblock!
Whenever they remove a mole, they biopsy it usually, which can make it difficult to discern medical and cosmetic. If you get my meaning. Though there are more limits on what insurance covers. (Mine was three at a time, which frankly is ridiculous)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Whenever they remove a mole, they biopsy it usually, which can make it difficult to discern medical and cosmetic. If you get my meaning. Though there are more limits on what insurance covers. (Mine was three at a time, which frankly is ridiculous)
Canadian health insurance works very differently to US though - Nat don't you have insurance?

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being fair-skinned and living in Arizona, I have a lot of years of sun exposure and the effects are cumulative. On occasion, I've had some squamous-cell carcinomas removed, beginning at age 23. So far, three moles have had to go but they turned out to be benign. For the past 25 years, sunscreen has been my makeup base.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have lots of moles (or 'beauty marks') myself. I just had my DR look at 2 good size ones one my face. I've had them forever. She said they didn't look suspicious yet, but to keep an eye on them. They seem to run in my family. My Grandma has had at least a dozen removed from her face, but never any skin cancer.

I use a moisturizer with spf 15 every day and if we do anything outside, I wear sunscreen. DH is a fair skinned redhead so he's always cautious. Actually the lady in the recieving department at Walmart nicknamed him Coppertone because he always smells like sunscreen when he's making deliveries. His mother had a small spot removed last year and I watch his freckles too.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least your being cautious about it now Natalie

And I agree, going to see the Dr. about it really wouldn't be a bad idea, its never wrong to be TOO cautious about your health!