Allergy/Sinus advice?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope this is an okay question to ask here. For the last two springs and now this spring, I get congested with lots of umm drainage and painful bouts coughing.

I used to have good insurance through school so I could go to the doctor and get something that offered a bit of relief but the prices went up on insurance this year so I cannot afford it.

What I am looking for is perhaps some homepathic type solutions or simple things I can do to get some relief. I have spent most of the week hacking and coughing my way through work and class. With midterms next week, I would love to be able to concentrate. Plus, I cannot sleep more than an hour without waking myself coughing.

I don't believe I have an actual sinus infection yet, but I know it could lead to that. I have tried drinking hot water, regular tea, warm cloths over sinuses, nothing really helps for more than a few minutes. Good thing is, with the way my ribs and stomach feel after the coughing, I should have 6-pack abs soon!

Thanks in advance

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not homeopathic, but Claratin is available over the counter now. DH was on some other stuff but decided to just go with that because it is cheaper and he's loving it. I'm taking it also right now.

Benadryl is good too, but it knocks me out good! So I try not to take it and just stick with claratin.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend had a similar problem last summer and he took Allegra-D... it's not homeopathic and I think you still have to get it from the doctor but he was able to get free samples that the doctor had to take as necessary and it worked really well for him.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been diagnosed regarding allergies, but I do go through periods when my sinuses clog and my eyes water more than usual, so I imagine that's what I've got. The only thing I do for it is prop up the head of my bed with bricks, so I sleep at a slight angle. That keeps everything draining during the night, rather than backing up into my sinuses and waking me. It also helps prevent reflux...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I've never been diagnosed regarding allergies, but I do go through periods when my sinuses clog and my eyes water more than usual, so I imagine that's what I've got. The only thing I do for it is prop up the head of my bed with bricks, so I sleep at a slight angle. That keeps everything draining during the night, rather than backing up into my sinuses and waking me. It also helps prevent reflux...
I've slept on 2 pillows forever now and that does help me. I've even used a sleeping bag to prop myself up almost upright before when it's been real bad.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Nasal washes help me when I'm at my worst. I tend to get bad post-nasal drip so I feel like I'm choking. The nasal wash clears out the crud. I will do it once or twice day until the worst is over.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Nasal washes help me when I'm at my worst. I tend to get bad post-nasal drip so I feel like I'm choking. The nasal wash clears out the crud. I will do it once or twice day until the worst is over.
I am also really suffering from sinus problems and postnasal drip.
Mine might be cause by acid reflux because antacids seem to help. I also do nasal wash-I use special nasal wash solution-it's sold in CVS. But nothing works very well. I have been suffering for years.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with nasal washes (or nasal rinses). I swear they have saved my life!

If you get the goo out next time before it migrates to your ears and/or lungs, you can save yourself a world of pain.

Nasal washes should help you now, too. Hope you are better soon!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep- the least expensive way is to get a Neti pot (Walgreens is where I got mine) and do a google search for the recipe for the nasal wash. It seems kinda bizzare when you first look into doing it, but it gets the gunk out, hydrates your sinuses, and helps wash out the stuff that you are allergic to, so it's not aggravating your sinuses all night

Claritin is a good one- my Walmart has 3 kinds- the original (@$18), the generic WM brand (@$8) or the generic blue box (made by a company I recognized! lol) for @ $3 ! Good luck, I know you are miserable...

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finding out about a neti pot was the best thing for me. I've been using one for three years now. I use it every morning and twice a day when I have more symptoms. I always woke up with a dull headache, sore throat and puffy eyes until I stared using the neti pot. They are great to use when doing dusty things, like gardening, cutting the grass. I use the neti pot to clear all the gunk out afterwards. I think the word is starting to spread on them finally, more and more people are using them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you 100% sure you've not caught anything at all? Those spring colds with the flip flopping weather can be really bad.
The cold I recently caught only caused a day to a day and a half of a tickle in my throat then it went to coughing, horrible sinus pressure (had to use ice packs), and bad congestion.
I ended up going to the doctor for antibiotics, the congestion is just now breaking up in my lungs.

I've had minor sinus problems for at least 18 years now, I ignore it.
Any sort of decongestant in my case either doesn't work or I start getting dependent on it.

Try the suggestions everyone else gave, but if you feel it settling heavily into your lungs you should consider doctor's visit. It might cost a bit, but medication is cheaper than a hospital stay.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the nasty gunk and coughing, taking something with guafenisen (like Mucinex) will keep it from getting too thick and nasty. Then something with a decongestant (pseudoephedrine works well for most people, I have to use phenylephrine because I'm sensitive to the pseudoephedrine) will dry up the nasty stuff. Those are the two drugs that helped me out when I went through what you were back in February.

Good luck, I know its awful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone! Last night was a bit better. I need more pillows
kept rolling off the two I have in my sleep. Plus, Seb was a little cranky that I was using his!

Benadryl just knocks me out, so cannot use it when I need to be alert.

I tried the nasal wash for the first time last night. Not sure how well I did it - didn't have most of what they said to use, but it did seem to help a bit. I used warm water, a bit of table salt and a pinch of baking soda and used my palm as applicator.

The ccough hasn't gone away but seems to be more productive.

This morning I was scrounging around and found some decongestant tablets and those seem to help a bit as well. If I don't feel better by Monday, I'll bite the bullet and go to the school clinic. They will bill my student account but I cannot get my degree until the bill is paid so hope it isn't too much
One of these days I'll either be rich or have a job with great benefits

Again, thank you all, so sweet!

(realized I used the word "bit" 700 times in this post
)