need a critique

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who listen to trance/techno/electronica

I just composed the beginning of a song, it's missing it's melody currently. . .but am looking for some feedback, both what you like and what you would change and where you think the song needs to head. it's currently 3:41 long.......

love to hear from you......

LINK

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I didn't know you were a musician! That's really very compelling, and although I am not at all a fan of electronic music, even I can tell it's quality work. I hope someone will come along who's more qualified to give an opinion...

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stoli and Luxor must love all the music in the house.

It was nicely done. However, it feels like segments of music pieced in together without a central melody to tie them together. I like the very beginning of the song and felt it should be longer. Since it is a work in progress, I would say it is very nicely done. Once you find your melody, it should tie in nicely. I have also noticed that music was very midi like, what did you use to compose the music? Maybe you have to compress it to upload it thus the music did not sound as strong as it should. I am no musician by any means, this is just my personal opinion rather than a critique.

Who do you listen to?

I listen to Art of trance, Dream Techno, DJ Tiesto (he is good).

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not well versed enough in music to tell you what to change, I really liked what I heard, and I listened to all of it. What program did you use to compose it with?

I'm also interested in other artists you listen to. I like Royksopp also and find this type of music appeals to me.
~Rhonda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks guys,

yeah it is a work in progress. i actually haven't placed the melody in the song yet so that's why it seems sort of bare... i listen to van Burren, Tiesto, and i have a bunch of the 'state of trance' albums. I couldn't believe it when I heard Depeche Mode on one - it was GOOD!

I actually used GarageBand to lay the tracks down. Most of the loops came from the program Soundtrack though.

I can up the volume for the total track it actually isn't that far up - only about half way. it's hard for me to tell because i've been listening with headphones. Guess I should plug this into my stereo!~

Ok so let's go with the beginning of the song - - - how much longer should it be? should the very beginning continue with out any added tracks? should the beginning start and wait longer before bass or drums and wait even longer for the actual 'dance' groove to set in?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by watchcaddy

I have also noticed that music was very midi like, what did you use to compose the music?
i was just thinkin' about this - there's actually only one midi instrument in this. the rest are actual sound samples performed by a real musician. In the midi samples, everything is alterable, pitch, rhythm, velocity, etc. In the samples recorded by a live person only the pitch and the length of the sample are alterable. So actually, you find parts of samples you like and splice them together.....

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i made some changes. . .i'll upload a new version soon. i'll let you know when i do - the good thing is I still like my composition after countless listenings.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

thanks guys,

yeah it is a work in progress. i actually haven't placed the melody in the song yet so that's why it seems sort of bare... i listen to van Burren, Tiesto, and i have a bunch of the 'state of trance' albums. I couldn't believe it when I heard Depeche Mode on one - it was GOOD!

I actually used GarageBand to lay the tracks down. Most of the loops came from the program Soundtrack though.

I can up the volume for the total track it actually isn't that far up - only about half way. it's hard for me to tell because i've been listening with headphones. Guess I should plug this into my stereo!~

Ok so let's go with the beginning of the song - - - how much longer should it be? should the very beginning continue with out any added tracks? should the beginning start and wait longer before bass or drums and wait even longer for the actual 'dance' groove to set in?
I would like like the beginning longer before the bass sets in and even a little bit longer before the dance groove sets in. How long? Hard to say and I think it depends on the composer (you). But there are many tracks out there that drags it toooo long before the next instrument sets in, case in point, The New Order's sound track-Confusion in the movie Blade. It is a 10 minute song and each instrument sets in about every 2-3 minutes and it lost my attention. I have to agree that composition of the song was good. I actually think the song can be made into 2 or 3 different songs. It is good and keep it up. We want to hear more.

You should listen it through your surround speakers. It could be you are encoding it at lower bit rate, thus the quality is not as great as it should be. It just sounds a bit muffled. I am sure you can adjust that on your mac/garage band.