what do you all think of this bengal boy?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you all think of this boy? I am just so back and forth on keeping him or not. I don't really have room for more boys but this little guy is so wild looking to me!
Before you all tell me I should keep, know that he carrys all of the same blood as all of the breeder girls I currently have (except one), so I would have only one girl to breed him with.
I also already have three boys and only three breeder girls.
auuggh...this is one of the hardest parts of being a breeder...trying to decide which ones to hold onto and which ones to keep!!!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you can afford to have a rib bar in California. Your competition is too steep for that. Considering your other limitations, I would say pet him out or sell to another breeder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't nessacerily need to show him. Cats with rib bars don't always produce kittens with them. But there's other things about him that I really, really like. I like the dark black spots, the wild looking face (by the way I need to take updated pics he looks even better now) The really light patches behind the ears (that will probably color over but you never know). The partially rosetted tail. Just pretty much everything about him I like. For me, a rib bar is really not a consideration when choosing kittens to keep as breeders.
Your right though, the limitations I have on how many boys I can keep makes it less than ideal to keep him.
I just don't want to be kicking myself later like I have done too many times in the past.
I probably should try to place him as a breeder and get a kitten back when he finally is old enough to produce.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a familiar situation. I am faced with exactly what you are talking about many times. Seems like each time I need a boy, it is a girl that stands out and, each time I need a girl, it is the other way around. Of course, the boys are more difficult. I have a fantastic boy right now, that I am going to have find placement. This is strictly due to space limitations. He is 9 weeks old and stunning. I will probably do the same as you and try for a kitten back at a later time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you can arrange a co-ownership as a breeder and see what he produces to get something you can use with more of your girls. If you only have a limit of using him with one girl, IMO he's not worth you keeping at this time.

But a total outcross to a unrelated female and taking a nice male from that as one you can use with all your females is a better idea.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no help with your decision, I do not know bangel standards. I think a co-ownership arrangement may be a good idea though. I had a kitten out of my last litter I didn't want to place (Yuki) but had nothing to breed back with (just her dad) But, I couldn't completely let her go, so I co-own her still and when she is old enough I will get a kitten back, by then I should have her dad neutered and I still have her lines. Being a male I wouldn't have done it though. I have one boy that I have now and he is turning out so beautiful, I am glad he is already reserved or I would be having a hard time deciding to keep him or not.
I am sure you will make the right decision!

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have done co-ownerships in the past. Sometimes that works out well and sometimes not. I don't usually do a "kitten back" arrangement, because it is difficult to make sure of the health of another cat coming into the home. I have a contract with each kitten that leaves here. If the right person comes along, I will let this guy go for very little. I just want a great family for him. He is such a sweet guy.

I have a full cattery with 3 adult males and 7 females. Those are not all Bengals, though. My main breed is the Peterbald. The Bramble is second. From time to time, I have a Bengal (I just really like them).

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant make a breeders comment but............boy, you asked what do we think of him

what a treasure he is
I'd keep him at a drop of a feather, but then I ain't breeding

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of the Peterbald (another hairless breed) but what in the heck is a Bramble? Are they accepted in any associations?

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I've heard of the Peterbald (another hairless breed) but what in the heck is a Bramble? Are they accepted in any associations?
Just Rare and Exotic Feline Registry. Once the program grows some, we will try to move toward TICA.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say pet him out ... but I am not a breeder

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Can you give me a website on the breed?
the site is in her /his signature

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Says the Bramble is like a wirehaird dogs. We already HAVE a wirehair shorthair cat - why create another one? Are you using the wirehaird cat in the mix too - and why use a bengal/peterbald in the creation - I don't get it?

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Can you give me a website on the breed?
Here is the page on the Bramble from the Rare and Exotic Feline Registry. Like I stated, we haven't grown enough to attempt TICA yet.
http://rareandexoticfelinereg.homest...Breed_BRA.html

I was one of the first Peterbald breeders in the U.S. and helped to get them recognized in TICA. I still have the first Peterbald in the U.S. (Fanya) and she is doing great. I plan to go along the same path with the Bramble. Hopefully, the breed will continue to grow.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck. I prefer soft fur. But maybe some will like the appeal of wire hair.

I know the one that is accepted now, Wirehaired SH, is not a very popular breed - very few breeders and even less in the show halls. So you have an uphill climb for acceptance.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Good luck. I prefer soft fur. But maybe some will like the appeal of wire hair.

I know the one that is accepted now, Wirehaired SH, is not a very popular breed - very few breeders and even less in the show halls. So you have an uphill climb for acceptance.
Been through it before with the Peterbald, so I am in for the long run. I don't get upset easily and just keep plugging away. This breed is really neat. The coat is much much different than a American Wirehair. This is much more wiry. People that feel the coat absolutely love it. The personality, though, is what I get the most comments about. This is a cuddle cat that really acts like a dog in some ways and like a wild cat in others. The breed is VERY outgoing and not scared of much at all. I guess you could say they are like your very own lion (playing in water, taking all toys to the food bowl while growling). However, you can pick one up in the middle of a growl and they start purring away. This is a VERY active breed, but very sweet natured. It is the best of all worlds, plus the coat type makes it stand out among the crowd.

I am thrilled with the breed. Can you tell?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but YOU are the one with them. Not my cup of tea, I like rexes and oci's better

Just wishing you best of luck.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Says the Bramble is like a wirehaird dogs. We already HAVE a wirehair shorthair cat - why create another one? Are you using the wirehaird cat in the mix too - and why use a bengal/peterbald in the creation - I don't get it?
Read about it and see the pictures on the site I pasted above. It is nothing at all like the American Wirehair. The coat texture is MUCH different, the type is different, and there is no relation to that breed.

The Peterbald side gives the coat, when crossed with a Bengal. The Bengal gives the personality - although, the Bramble has a much sweeter disposition.

There is no breed like this one. It may be a "have to see" to understand, but the unique attributes of this breed will propell it forward.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes, but YOU are the one with them. Not my cup of tea, I like rexes and oci's better

Just wishing you best of luck.
Thanks! Hopefully, you will see more of them in the near future. There are several breeders working with them now. I am very excited and need all the luck.

Oh, I LOVE the Cornish Rex, as well. There aren't any cats that I don't really love, though - including mix breeds.