Are there any "soupy" canned foods?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a very soft or soupy wet food for my 17 year old cat, Julie. She seems to be unable or unwilling to eat the normal pate style anymore, and with chunks and gravy she only licks up the gravy. Her teeth are OK, according to the vet, although she has lost quite a few of them in past cleanings. Maybe she just can't chew effectively.

So, I'm looking for something she can just lap up. She has allergies too, so no beef, lamb, venison, or dairy. Fish is fine.

Any suggestions?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natalie's right about Merrick. The slightly less soupy ones are cowboy cookout (beef anyway) and Surf and Turf (also has beef so not an issue).

The grain free wellness flavors are pretty mushy. The other ones with rice in them are much more firm. But chicken, turkey, chicken/herring, turkey/salmon are fairly mushy. Don't know if I'd go so far as to say "soupy" but it's so soft that some of my lazy cats stop eating when the "pile" of food "falls" into a pancake. I scoop it back up into a pile so they'll finish it...they love it though.

Some don't like the presence of garlic and some don't like the Menu association but I'm comfortable with it. It's a personal choice.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was also going to recommend Merrick. I switched my cat to that after the food contamination scare and several of their's are quite soupy.

Stephanie

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried mixing a bit of water with the pate? I recently started feeding mine Evangers, and it's a bit thicker than they like, so I add a tiny bit of water and stir it up. I don't know if you could make it soupy enough to just lap up though and still have it taste good to Julie.

Some of the Merrick's definitely is soupy flavors, but I guess some cats don't like it very much. Mine don't, and I've tried all the flavors. It's definitely worth a try though.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also recommend you look into Merrick. The ones they have here are the Grammy's Pot Pie ones. It's basically like a little stew. Instead of the pureed pate, it's more like chunks of ground up meat mixed in a broth.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Have you tried mixing a bit of water with the pate? I recently started feeding mine Evangers, and it's a bit thicker than they like, so I add a tiny bit of water and stir it up. I don't know if you could make it soupy enough to just lap up though and still have it taste good to Julie.

Some of the Merrick's definitely is soupy flavors, but I guess some cats don't like it very much. Mine don't, and I've tried all the flavors. It's definitely worth a try though.
I second Evanger's with water added. Odo doesn't drink much, so that way he gets it all from his food. They have several varieties--chicken, turkey, pheasant, and a couple of fishy ones (the mackerel is stinky!!), all of which are basically grain free. I've tried Merrick's in the past but Odo's stomach can't handle it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I'll try Merrick. It looks like they have several fishy flavors that she might like. I'm still not sure about the garlic in Wellness, but if she eats it, I think it's worth whatever small risk there may be.

Originally Posted by Misty8723

I have tried adding water, but it doesn't seem to mix well. I don't think I could get it to the right consistency without using a blender, and that would probably mean adding so much water that she won't be able to eat all of it. How do you fix the Evangers for your cats?

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, as a rule of thumb, canned cat foods meant for urinary tract health tend to be extra watery.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've blended cat food in a blender in the past just to mix in some granulated L-Lysine and it kind of souped up the food without adding water.
That may be worth a shot.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope they like the merrick as it was my thought too

opiebopie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just add some water and mix it up. They kitties love it.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Odo gets one can each day divided into two meals. The first meal he gets without water added, and the second meal, I chop up a bit, add some hot water, and then mix. It helps to press the chunks of pate with a spoon to get them to dissolve more and mix better. It doesn't have to be completely smooth, but it ends up kind of like oatmeal this way.

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not really a meal of canned food, but when I add this on top of something I want Marishka to try, she laps up all of this gravy first. Maybe it would help soften the food you are trying, mixed in like you would water? (though I'm not sure how it would taste mixed in, if it changes the flavor too much, but mine doesn't seemd bothered by it, and she is a little picky)

eta: It says it has carrots and peas, but in the can, which I think is three ounces, I get maybe one or two small of each, and I'll be honest, I pick them out anyway. It's not full of chunks or anything. Hope that helps : )

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

I have tried adding water, but it doesn't seem to mix well. I don't think I could get it to the right consistency without using a blender, and that would probably mean adding so much water that she won't be able to eat all of it. How do you fix the Evangers for your cats?
I give each of them about 1/4 of the can of Evangers, then I add maybe a teaspoon of water and stir it up real good. It makes it a little "soupier" without actually being the consistency of the Merricks. Cindy doesn chew her food, she licks it, so she eats more of it that way.