I have a question about AC/Shelters donating.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just switched Ping over to T.O. I wanna donate the remaining of his old food to our local AC. Its just short of 3 lbs of food. Right now I have it in a zip lock bag with date opened, how much is left and what variety and that its cat food. Question is will ACs accept this or not. I don't want it to go to waste. And I don't know anyone around with cats that I can give this to. Any suggestions.

If all else fails I will call them Monday morning and find out.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually, we take it. Depends on the brand if we use it or not. If we do not use it, it goes to feed ferals.
I would definately call to be sure. Or else, look to see if the website for the AC/shelter lists brands of food they use!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think ours has a website but I will check and see.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shelters try to keep their cats on a consistent diet to prevent digestive disorders. A lot of the donated food that isn't their normal food is usally given to feral caregivers or sometimes poor people in the area. It rarely goes to waste.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am gonna call our AC Monday to find out. If they can not take it I got in contact with a friend that has a rescue contact. They are filled to the brim and can take any and all donations. So if AC can't take it the food will go to them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should
The shelter i work at will as long as you write the brand, expiration date, and code on it
(so we can tell if it's recalled or not)

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

They should
The shelter i work at will as long as you write the brand, expiration date, and code on it
(so we can tell if it's recalled or not)
I don't have the expiration date or code on it because that went into the trash the day I bought the food. (I have a container that I put the food in) But I did write date it was bought/opened, brand, flavor and weight on it.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
at the shelter where I volunteer we accept all food donations.

but lately people have donated food on the recall.

so we just throw it out because we don't want to take any chances
with our animals.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I don't have the expiration date or code on it because that went into the trash the day I bought the food. (I have a container that I put the food in) But I did write date it was bought/opened, brand, flavor and weight on it.
no problems hon- just tell them the brand and the date- it should be fine
my shelter gets by on donations- we take in just about anything (although we do scan vigiriously to make sure nothing's been recalled- we've had a bunch of people donate recalled junk to us to try and get rid of it
) Also- some other things ya'll might consider donating to a shelter

Bleach
Paper Towels
Pine Sol
bowls/dishes
litter pans
clips- those carabeaner things (used on cages to secure them and to clip dishes to them!)
Treats
Air Freshner (no citrus- cat's don't like it)
Trash Bags
Doggie pee pee pads
Old Leashes and Collars
Carriers
Old blankets/beds
Pens/ and Sharpies (you'd be suprised how much these are needed!!!)
Laundry Detergent
Dish Soap (DAWN regular dawn is prefered- it's used on wildlife- but just about anything will do!)
toys
Old bottles- used for nursing puppies and wildlife
KMR and puppy formula
Scraps of carpet (we have a carpet store that donates all scraps twice a month- they're soooooo helpfull to use in cages/carriers!!!!)

all those things are soooo useful to shelters!!!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My gosh people were really donating the recalled food? What the heck were those people thinking. I would not even think of doing such a thing. No this has not been recalled to my knowledge. But its not the highest quality food.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

My gosh people were really donating the recalled food? What the heck were those people thinking. I would not even think of doing such a thing. No this has not been recalled to my knowledge. But its not the highest quality food.
oh wow you wouldn't belive half the garbage we get in!!!! we've even had people ask if we could use their recalled food....um HELLO- if you won't use if on your animals- what makes you think we'll use it on ours!
Some people are just stupid. I have to go through our donations every day and toss out a ton of stuff -it's horrible. Alpo and Ol' roy (both dog foods) as well as Iams (kitty canned foods) seem to be the most common recalled junk we get
the list goes on though.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

oh wow you wouldn't belive half the garbage we get in!!!! we've even had people ask if we could use their recalled food....um HELLO- if you won't use if on your animals- what makes you think we'll use it on ours!
Some people are just stupid. I have to go through our donations every day and toss out a ton of stuff -it's horrible. Alpo and Ol' roy (both dog foods) as well as Iams (kitty canned foods) seem to be the most common recalled junk we get
the list goes on though.
that's awful! i actually haven't donated anything for a couple months now because of the recalls.
but the shelter might be getting our by nature pouches that the guys won't eat. at least i know they could use those.