PLEASE HELP! Need new food

linus4lola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I adopted two precious babies 3 years ago as kittens. From the time they were rescued, they were on a controlled (twice daily) diet of Nutro Max Cat canned food. It is all they have ever eaten, and they love this cuts and gravy style food. When the recall was announced, Nutro Max Cat POUCH food only was on the list. Now, as I'm sure you are aware, the canned food has been recalled as well. I am now in a position where I am unable to slowly transition my cats over to a new food, obviously, and I am having a terrible time finding a new food that they will take to.

Does anyone know of any high quality cuts and gravy style food that has been unaffected by the recall? I refuse to feed my babies any food containing by-products and am hoping to find a new food that is low carb, containing human quality ingredients from a manufacturer that obviously does not use Menufoods (and preferably produces their own product).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I am devastated that this has happened and am growing very concerned about getting my sweet kitties proper nutrition.

Thanks for your time and your help!
Staci

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stacy, if seafood is okay, take a look at the tiki cat line and wureva (may be mis-spelling this, if that isn't it, try wueruva)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linus4lola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Stacy, if seafood is okay, take a look at the tiki cat line and wureva (may be mis-spelling this, if that isn't it, try wueruva)"

Thank you so much for the suggestion, and the reminder that I should have mentioned that I do not feed them seafood because it is not something that would be part of their natural diet. I suppose this is something, given my current situation, that perhaps i could reconsider, but they have never had seafood in their lives, so i'm not sure how we would do there....Any other ideas?

Also, are either of these recommended brands cuts and gravy style? Linus and Lola seem to be rejecting anything that is "pate" style, for lack of a better description....

-Staci

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the Merrick's http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

The bits of meat are very small compared to the Nutro MAX...but they are bits (minced) rather than "ground" or true pate. A couple of the flavors are more "blended" than the others. Cowboy Cookout is a more blended one, they might reject that if they want a more chunky texture. Surf and Turf (has fish) is also more blended, might not pass.

They can their own stuff and the ingredients are great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linus4lola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Beandip. I will look into it.

Please, all, keep the suggestions coming - i think it might take us a few attempts to find the one my babies love!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by linus4lola

"Stacy, if seafood is okay, take a look at the tiki cat line and wureva (may be mis-spelling this, if that isn't it, try wueruva)"

Thank you so much for the suggestion, and the reminder that I should have mentioned that I do not feed them seafood because it is not something that would be part of their natural diet. I suppose this is something, given my current situation, that perhaps i could reconsider, but they have never had seafood in their lives, so i'm not sure how we would do there....Any other ideas?

Also, are either of these recommended brands cuts and gravy style? Linus and Lola seem to be rejecting anything that is "pate" style, for lack of a better description....

-Staci
Sorry about that...but fwiw, here is the page with the ingredients list *and* photos of each flavor
er of the weruva, I mean.
http://www.weruva.com/Cusine Menu Main Page.html

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Sorry about that...but fwiw, here is the page with the ingredients list *and* photos of each flavor
er of the weruva, I mean.
http://www.weruva.com/Cusine Menu Main Page.html
I never heard of that brand, so I just clicked on the link. Then I followed their link to their parent company. I'm not sure how I would feel about feeding this brand

"Forman Industries is an international holding company specializing in the food industry and the Far East. Our wholly owned subsidiaries import and export a wide array of goods and services throughout the world, with a focus on the People's Republic of China. "

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I never heard of that brand, so I just clicked on the link. Then I followed their link to their parent company. I'm not sure how I would feel about feeding this brand

"Forman Industries is an international holding company specializing in the food industry and the Far East. Our wholly owned subsidiaries import and export a wide array of goods and services throughout the world, with a focus on the People's Republic of China. "
Did you stop there or go read the rest? I have no problem with the fact that Forman Industries is working to introduce franchise restaurants such as the Pizza Factory in China, or that Jana Industries focuses on quality seafood such as ahi tuna.

I'm sorry but the food should be judged on it's merits...what is in it, not that the company these folks formed is a subsidiary of a company that is seeking to do business in China etc.

evinea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Staci,

The best foods for Cats, from being mentored by a Nutritionist who is a doctor:

a)use dry food -- it's better for their teeth
b)Protien -- the higher the better

Eukanuba - has the highest protien "ratio" found in the regular market

I think as most of us have discovered, the health food industry is not well regulated. However, Eukanuba has a consistant standard they use that beats out, hands down the other typical competitors. You pay a little more, but the quality is better.

**Please note I am using the word ratio of protien to evaluate the level of quality over the numerous fillers listed in typical cat foods.

Kind Regards,
Amy

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Evinea

Staci,

The best foods for Cats, from being mentored by a Nutritionist who is a doctor:

a)use dry food -- it's better for their teeth
b)Protien -- the higher the better

Eukanuba - has the highest protien "ratio" found in the regular market

I think as most of us have discovered, the health food industry is not well regulated. However, Eukanuba has a consistant standard they use that beats out, hands down the other typical competitors. You pay a little more, but the quality is better.

**Please note I am using the word ratio of protien to evaluate the level of quality over the numerous fillers listed in typical cat foods.

Kind Regards,
Amy
With all due respect, I disagree about dry food. It does not clean the teeth. Kibbles shatter when they hit the cat's teeth, so there is no scrubbing action to speak of. I like the analogy that says dry food cleans a cats teeth just about as well as crackers would clean a human's teeth. Wet cat food, being high in moisture and low in carbohydrates, more closely resembles a cat's natural diet.

Sorry for the slight hijack linus4lola.
I hope you can find a healthy food that your babies are happy with.

evinea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I should of qualified my answer. Dry food is healthier because it is not as sticky as canned food, and does not cling to their teeth as much, which helps reduce the buidup of tartar.

Carbohydrate (starch) is not the primary staple of felines, protien (meat) is.

Measuring the protien against the other ingrediants including moisture will help you better evaluate the different products including canned foods.

Kind Regards,
Amy

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HUMMM Eukanuba uses by products and corn to get the protein..NEITHER of which to anyone who HAS REALLY LEARNED anything on animal nutrition would be ideal for a CARNIVORE OBLIGATE in Nature .. I call that IMO JUNK ... it is low in fatty acids

TO the original poster

merrick

solid gold

innova

evo

natures prairie

eagle pack

wellness

all are TRUELY high end

Wet food is far more natural ... dry food is convient not anything more

evinea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eukanuba is the high end for the general stores. There are of course some higher grades of cat foods, but those are select brands not readily found in general stores.

The protien in Eukanuba is listed in the first ingrediants as Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Byproduct.......

and then of course a host of byproducts.

I am not sure what you mean by "products and corn to get the protein"

Kind Regards,
Amy

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Evinea

Eukanuba is the high end for the general stores. There are of course some higher grades of cat foods, but those are select brands not readily found in general stores.

The protien in Eukanuba is listed in the first ingrediants as Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Byproduct.......

and then of course a host of byproducts.

I am not sure what you mean by "products and corn to get the protein"

Kind Regards,
Amy
That is not terrible but I DONT do by products of any kind outside of raw I put in myself after finding out what they are ... If that is a dry food the ingrediants are on in the RAW state and the chicken and the liver are manyly water and fat thus the true chicken amount is the 5 or 6th ingrediants ... so chicken is really the 5th ingrediant and liver is just not a good ingrediant in a dry food due to vitamin levals... Eukanuba about 10 yrs ago was a GREAT food ... Now I think it is about the leval of purina one... In most big box store there are three to four brands that are FAR FAR better

By products can be intestines , heads , ft ,undeveloped eggs , blood vessals

chn on the other hand is the meat and some bone

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats eat only canned food. It is a better source of protein; cats don't need grain. They eat Natural Balance, Wellness, Merrick and PetGuard. These are all human quality ingredients with no by products and no gluten.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mcat

My cats eat only canned food. It is a better source of protein; cats don't need grain. They eat Natural Balance, Wellness, Merrick and PetGuard. These are all human quality ingredients with no by products and no gluten.
you do know about the NB recall related to rice protein>>>??

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
only canned food made of human quality ingredients: Wellness, Merrick, PetGuard and Natural Balance. Cats don't need grains and do need the moisture that is in wet food.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

only canned food made of human quality ingredients: Wellness, Merrick, PetGuard and Natural Balance. Cats don't need grains and do need the moisture that is in wet food.
Besides dry, the canned Natural Balance Oceanfish was recalled because American Nutrition put unwelcome, uncalled for RPC in it, against NB's wishes. That may be what Sharky was referring to.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Natural balence WET OR DRY IS NOT grain free ( Except for the venison ... Wellness has six grain free ... Petguard has a few grain frees... ALL are great foods for the right animal ... AFFCO has no such thing as HUMAN grade ...

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Reminder about the whole 'human grade' misnomer with regard to pet food (I am linking from Timberwolf Organics --Serengetti cat food-- site)

http://timberwolforganics.com/s.nl/it.I/id.8/.f

""Made with only 100% human grade ingredients."

One quick way to determine if this is not true (other than cost) is if the food contains any "meals". Guess what? There is no such thing as human grade chicken meal or lamb meal. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know of any restaurant where you can say, "Waiter, may I have some beef meal to go with my baked potato?" Or "May I have my chicken meal on a bun please?" The meat starts out as human grade because remember itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s from an inspected plant, but does not receive an inspection sticker because itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s not intended for human consumption so cannot be labeled as human grade. There are different grades (classifications) of meals however and are graded (classified) by protein content, ash content and price. Some are of very high quality. For example, our lamb meal is imported from New Zealand and is a special low ash high protein (8% ash, 70% protein) lamb meal that we have classified and most of the bone is filtered out (all lamb, chicken, beef meals contain a lot of bone because itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s made from what is left over from cutting away steaks or boneless chicken breast for example). Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the most expensive and probably the best lamb meal in the country as itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s made from the organs and contains a lot of blood, which gives it a very complete amino acid profile. Is it human grade? Come on class, I'm listening? Most lamb meals are high in ash and are low (50%) in protein. We searched six different suppliers before finding the current suppliers for chicken meal and for lamb meal. "