Mika's babies have sore eyes!

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Their eyes have not opened yet! They are 10 days old, and they have sore eyes, does this have effect on their eyes opening? They have sore eyes, poor babies. My sister let my niece and nephew hold them.
I did not want them to handle these babies yet. When they are 4 weeks plus I would let them hold them. But not at this age, I think they need to live longer. Because when we said to Jesse, my nephew, he is 3, that the babies needed to go night night, he sqeezed on little Chubs!
I told her not to let them hold them! And she took them to my room, and let Jesse, and Jazmine hold the babies! And Jesse held Chubs for over 1 minute, I don't want these babies held very long. I hold them for under a minute everyday, and then put them back with momma. And I keep my hands clean, and pet momma before I pick them up, so they still have momma's smell on them. But, ug, how do you treat their sore eyes? When they are this young? My mom will probably not take them to the vet.. Although we should to get them and momma looked at. They have not opened their eyes yet, and I think they should have by now.. But.. ya. I didn't want my niece/nephew holding them yet. Looking, they can, but holding is a no no. Help is appreciated. Thank you for reading!!

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Firstly, there has most likely been no damage done by the kids being allowed to hold the kittens. You probably checked on Chubs after he'd been squeezed?

In some cases, kitten's eyes open late. The usual time for kittens to begin opening their eyes is a week old and they usually all have them fully open by about 10 days. If these kitten's eyes are sealed by a 'crust', you can take a cotton ball dipped in warm water and gently wipe the kitten's eyes. Use a new cotton ball for each eye and for each kitten. This may be enough to remove the crust and let the kittens open their eyes. Also take the kittens and mumcat off to the vet for a check-up. If the kitten's eyes are infected, the vet will most likely give you some ointment or drops to put in their eyes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, I checked on Chubs shortly after we put him back with mom. And Shakesphere, and Tosca. Thanks for the advise!

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

What do you mean when you say they have sore eyes? Also, are they showing any other signs like sneezing, wheezing or runny nose? If they are, they need to see the vet ASAP. Something that can cause discharge from the eyes (which then dries and sticks the eye closed) in kittens and cats is Chlamydia: http://www.whitecourtvet.com/materia...CHLAMYDIA).htm
That is exactly right. Be on the safe side. It is, probably, just a little infection, but don't take chances. A little antibiotic might go a long way.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What do you mean when you say they have sore eyes? Also, are they showing any other signs like sneezing, wheezing or runny nose? If they are, they need to see the vet ASAP. Something that can cause discharge from the eyes (which then dries and sticks the eye closed) in kittens and cats is Chlamydia: http://www.whitecourtvet.com/materia...CHLAMYDIA).htm
Not trying to interrupt here or speak for the OP,but in some areas,especially the south,"sore eyes" in cats is another name for conjunctivitus and "thought" to be caused from humans handling kittens before their eyes open.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And interrupt all you like LOL. If it were true that 'sore eyes' are caused by the kittens being handled too much by humans before their eyes open, all the kittens I get who are under a week old are in serious trouble.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

And interrupt all you like LOL. If it were true that 'sore eyes' are caused by the kittens being handled too much by humans before their eyes open, all the kittens I get who are under a week old are in serious trouble.
Mine would all be blind.

msgoody2shoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kittens opened their eyes at six days old but every morning after that for two days one of their eyes would be sealed shut by a sleepy crust and I would have to get a wet rag and rub it over the eye to unseal it. Maybe they have sleepy crust?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok!! I shall! LOL. That's what I meant by "thought" to be caused. It's really a term passed down from our elders that had "country cats" that were hardly ever taken to the vet. "Sore tail" is another one....meaning raw behing from diarreah. Ok I'm done with hillbilly cats 101...LOL

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by msgoody2shoes

My kittens opened their eyes at six days old but every morning after that for two days one of their eyes would be sealed shut by a sleepy crust and I would have to get a wet rag and rub it over the eye to unseal it. Maybe they have sleepy crust?
Hope it is something simple like that. That is pretty usual. I breed Peterbalds and some of them are born with their eyes open. Strange, but they have no problems at all with their eyes. Some will close them after the first day and they will stay shut for a few days - then open again at around 5 or 6 days. Some keep them open from birth forward.

I use a warm wet rag for the crusty stuff, if any have that. I, also, keep eye antibiotic on hand - just in case.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by msgoody2shoes

Naaaaw!! That's from a visit by the "Sandkittie"!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spirita2010

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom looked at them, and she said it was just something from them soon to open their eyes.
She has had lots of kittens in her days that she has seen, all barn cats of course. I just wanted to make sure it was nothing serious. She said they were all good.